Hotels

Sadly that's the case for most Newcastle cheap hotels on weekends. Lots of stag and hen parties coming from round the uk to make a scene. The hotels round the quayside/arena area are all expensive but generally removed from the aforementioned scene. Alternatively, stay out of the city centre; transport links are quite good. Even staying round the metrocentre you can get to the Arena quite easily - when I worked there lots of shoppers were parking at the centre and getting the bus to Newcastle as it was cheaper than parking in Newcastle. Most buses stop outside the central station and its maybe a 10 min walk from there to the Arena (or hop in a taxi from the metrocentre and it won't cost much more than a bus if there's a few of you, may even be cheaper). Look for B&Bs too.

Look for hotels in Gateshead too. Even Sunderland at a stretch, they're all linked by the Metro and Gateshead has good bus links to the Central station area/taxis are cheap.

Granted, I've been living on the other side of the world for over a year but that's the Newcastle I remember.

Seconding Durham - it's a really nice place and so close it's barely even worth getting a seat on the train. Generally just avoid the centre of Newcastle. The transport is good enough that you will be able to get a bus or the Metro to Central Station from pretty much anywhere from Tynemouth/Wallsend down to Sunderland (and a mainline train from pretty much anywhere...I have travelled down to LFCC from Newcastle for the day on the mainline train). Anywhere in Newcastle or Gateshead and a taxi shouldn't set you back too much.

• Like 1

Thanks for replies. Seems like the best place to stay is Newcastle is....somewhere else. Will get a hotel few miles away and have a look at best transport links to the venue instead :-) Shame cos I like to stay fairly close though get bit more atmosphere.

Thanks for replies. Seems like the best place to stay is Newcastle is....somewhere else. Will get a hotel few miles away and have a look at best transport links to the venue instead :-) Shame cos I like to stay fairly close though get bit more atmosphere.

from Durham train station, newcastle is a really short ride. Up a hell of a hill mind you. Gateshead metrocentre has a good cinema with an IMAX, so plenty of stuff around near by :)

There a few premier inns near the quayside

I believe there is a new ramada encore on the Gateshead side of the river, but don't know prices as never had to use them, there are good metro links so it maybe better to look a little further a field. The arena is near central station metro.

• 2 weeks later...

The Quayside Premier inn is rather good, and far enough away from the main source of stag/hen nights. There is a Marriott in Gosforth which is wonderful but a bit on the pricy side but very easy to get to by bus. There are lots of lovely hotels by the coast which will give you a great view and the metro is only a couple of quid and gives you more scope as to where to go.

There is also a Premier inn at the Royal Keys which is accessible by bus and metro but a bit of a walk on the other side so I would only really recommend that if you are driving.

And yes there Re a few hotels on the Gateshead side of the river that are rather nice and will just be a short walk away from the venue :)

• 3 weeks later...