RIP Sir Patrick Moore

dwarfbabe

Very sad to hear the news. He seemed a very modest man, I can remember when he appeared at Autographica a couple of years ago someone saying that he wasn't going to give a talk because he didn't think anyone would be interested in what he had to say when there were astronauts at the same event. Needless to say the room was packed for his talk and he was fantastic to listen to.

Very sad to hear the news. He seemed a very modest man, I can remember when he appeared at Autographica a couple of years ago someone saying that he wasn't going to give a talk because he didn't think anyone would be interested in what he had to say when there were astronauts at the same event. Needless to say the room was packed for his talk and he was fantastic to listen to.

I heard Sir Paul Nurse, the geneticist who won a Nobel Prize for medicine on Radio 4 this morning saying how Moore had inspired him to science as a young boy, and years later Nurse proposed him for an honorary fellowship of the Royal Society, and therefore hosted him at the presentation; just before he was due to go on stage to collect his fellowship, Nurse noticed that Moore was weeping and asked him what the problem was "I've just realised that I've been elected to the most famous scientific academy in the world, the Royal Scoety, and they've recognised me, just an amateur scientist, and it's completely overwhelmed me." Amateur scientist he may have been, but he was a professional communicator. As Nurse also put it, he "seemed to know the universe personally".

Turned down a place at Cambridge when the war came, lied about his age and joined the RAF as a navigator; once had to fly a Lancaster back after the pilot and flight engineer were wounded. Quite a life.