Astronaut guest announcement

showmasters

Excellent news. Showmasters, I applaud you for doing return visits by astronauts who have been here before. An excellent chance to play catchup. Thanks a million.

If you feel like doing a return with Helen Sharman, please don't hesitate. She is so popular and well liked.

There's a photo of Vance taken around 1968 when he and 2 crewmates spent a few weeks (?) inside a command module, I think in an altitude chamber or similar, he's sort of sat facing the camera holding his hands and looking slightly bored, anyone know the picture or where I might find it? TIA!

There's a photo of Vance taken around 1968 when he and 2 crewmates spent a few weeks (?) inside a command module, I think in an altitude chamber or similar, he's sort of sat facing the camera holding his hands and looking slightly bored, anyone know the picture or where I might find it? TIA!

Your looking for the Apollo 2TV-1 Thermal Vacuum Test, try...

http://ston.jsc.nasa.gov/collections/TRS/_...2003-208933.pdf

http://www.spacepatches.nl/apollo/2tv1.html

Also Spaceflight magazine for March 2000 has a good article about this test and I think there was a mention more resently.

I dont know where you will find the 'bored' picture in good quality, perhaps the NASA History Office may help.

Hope the references are of some use

Happy Hunting!

von Dawson's Express

• 4 weeks later...

No probs Ted,

When you chat with him ask him about the numbering of Apollo on the ASTP flight. Some books say 'Apollo 18' and some just refer to 'Apollo'...

But ask Vance, then tell us what he says... ;o)

Have a gud 'un

von Dawson's Express

Thanks very much fellows, I really appreciate it. Fascinating stuff, those vacuum tests don't look fun and that crew really are unsung heroes! Hope to chat at length to Vance about it.

Thanks again!