Buffy In Essays

TomV

Hey Everyone, odd post I admit.

I'm doing an essay on Prosocial behaviour at the moment and am planning a section about how alturism in television shows can help produce prosocial behaviour (i.e. helping people with out expecting anything in return), kind of Buffy all over really. Was just wondering if anybody could think of a short Buffy Summers quote (short being the key word due to a word count) which dipicts Slayers/her alturistic nature? If you could inculde the episode as well that'd be great. I've been searching myself also so I hopefully may find one soon, just thought I'd open it up to the floor. Thanks Guys. x

:help:

Edit: Sorry guys, I should have probably made clear by short I meant 10-15 words max. Thanks :)

Edited by TomV

• Moderators

There's something niggling in the back of my mind and I just can't get it out! I'll probably wake up at 3am remembering this now...

(And you reminded me of a guy in my class at secondary school who managed to fit Buffy into every single English talk we did for 3.5 years.)

Ok this might be too long but it's the one that came to mide straight away

Season 3 - Earshot

BUFFY You know what? I was wrong. You are an idiot. My life happens to, on occasion, suck beyond the telling of it. Sometimes more than I can handle. And it's not just mine. Every single person down there is ignoring your pain because they're too busy with their own.

Jonathan lowers the rifle more. Buffy steps toward the window. She looks down at the Quad below.

BUFFY The beautiful ones. The popular ones. The guys that pick on you. Everyone.

Jonathan slowly moves up behind her to see what she sees. He steps up right next to her.

BUFFY If you could hear what they were feeling. The loneliness. The confusion. It looks quiet down there. It's not. It's deafening. She turns to face him.

BUFFY You know, I could've taken that by now.

JONATHAN I know.

BUFFY (holds her hand out) I'd rather do it this way. He thinks a moment, then hands her the rifle. She turns and pulls the bolt back, ejecting the bullet. She sets the gun down, then turns back to him.

JONATHAN I just wanted it to stop.

BUFFY Yeah, well, mass-murder, not really doctor recomended for that type of pain. Besides, prison, you know, it's a lot like high school, only instead of noogies- JONATHAN What are you talking about?

BUFFY Actions having consequences. You know, stuff like that.

Ok this might be too long but it's the one that came to mide straight away

Season 3 - Earshot

BUFFY You know what? I was wrong. You are an idiot. My life happens to, on occasion, suck beyond the telling of it. Sometimes more than I can handle. And it's not just mine. Every single person down there is ignoring your pain because they're too busy with their own.

Jonathan lowers the rifle more. Buffy steps toward the window. She looks down at the Quad below.

BUFFY The beautiful ones. The popular ones. The guys that pick on you. Everyone.

Jonathan slowly moves up behind her to see what she sees. He steps up right next to her.

BUFFY If you could hear what they were feeling. The loneliness. The confusion. It looks quiet down there. It's not. It's deafening. She turns to face him.

BUFFY You know, I could've taken that by now.

JONATHAN I know.

BUFFY (holds her hand out) I'd rather do it this way. He thinks a moment, then hands her the rifle. She turns and pulls the bolt back, ejecting the bullet. She sets the gun down, then turns back to him.

JONATHAN I just wanted it to stop.

BUFFY Yeah, well, mass-murder, not really doctor recomended for that type of pain. Besides, prison, you know, it's a lot like high school, only instead of noogies- JONATHAN What are you talking about?

BUFFY Actions having consequences. You know, stuff like that.

Thanks this shows alturism perfectly, but its such a shame its such a long sequence bit. Thanks anyhow :YAHOO:

There's also a bit in season 6 when Anya is talking about Buffy charging for the slayer service. Just can't think of the episode but should be before Doublemeat palace.

Cheers, shall try and have a look after I get main Essay bulk done.

Edited by TomV

• Moderators

I don't know if any of the speech/presentation bit in the Prom episode might be good - yes, it's showing that in this case she IS getting something back, but it's not something she's expecting.

Actually, flicking through the transcript of that ep to have a look, and came across

"I'm over the whole Buffy gets one perfect high school moment thing. But I'm certainly not going to let some subhuman ruin it for the rest of the senior class."

Edited by etmuse

I can't find the bit at the moment (at work) but there is a bit in the Episode Gone near the end when she realises that she doesn't want to die, she want to be there.

Also at the end of season 7 when she's lying on the floor and everyone is crying you here her talking to Dawn about life and that the hardest thing in the world is to live in it. Which is a apt sentiment.

If that helps.... :P

Edited by Nixster

I can't find the bit at the moment (at work) but there is a bit in the Episode Gone near the end when she realises that she doesn't want to die, she want to be there.

Also at the end of season 7 when she's lying on the floor and everyone is crying you here her talking to Dawn about life and that the hardest thing in the world is to live in it. Which is a apt sentiment.

If that helps.... :smile:

Oh god do you mean series 5 final? Bloody kills me every time! This is the quote:

"Dawn, listen to me. Listen. I love you. I will always love you. But this is the work that I have to do. Tell Giles... tell Giles I figured it out. And, and I'm okay. And give my love to my friends. You have to take care of them now. You have to take care of each other. You have to be strong. Dawn, the hardest thing in this world... is to live in it. Be brave. Live. For me.

What about this:

'I killed Angel! ...I loved him more than I will ever love anything in this life. And I put a sword through his heart because I had to.'

If it has to be shorter you could put

'I killed Angel! ...I loved him ...And I put a sword through his heart because I had to.'

It's Season 7, Selfless. Hope that helps :smile:

Edit: Or like Willow and Tourniquet said there's the quote from Flooded... it's by Dawn: 'You can't charge innocent people for saving their lives'.

Edited by crazyminx

If that helps.... :band:

Oh god do you mean series 5 final? Bloody kills me every time! This is the quote:

"Dawn, listen to me. Listen. I love you. I will always love you. But this is the work that I have to do. Tell Giles... tell Giles I figured it out. And, and I'm okay. And give my love to my friends. You have to take care of them now. You have to take care of each other. You have to be strong. Dawn, the hardest thing in this world... is to live in it. Be brave. Live. For me.

That the one! No idea why I put 7 lol, (I was doing it sneakily at work :P talking and typing sometimes doesn't work)

Thanks Guys that was all really helpful, hopefully see some of you at James Marsters on saturday (Curly hair, glasses, male ... I dont know if there'l be many) :D

you can be another male next to my man then, tall, long hair, glasses :D i can tell him he won't be the only one now, but i'm still not sure that'll make him any more happy about coming! poor man *giggle*