Feedback appreciated for the Artist Alley and Video Gaming Zones!

Animeleague ran the Artist Alley, the Video Gaming Zone (we also helped out with other bits and bobs related to us). We'd like to know how everyone found these areas and get some feedback - tell us what was good and what wasn't as good! Also, if you have any questions, feel free to put them forth.

Also, thanks to everyone who came into our areas - the attendees were very friendly and a pleasure to work for. We're looking very forward to working with Showmasters again in the future. We'd also like to thank Jason and his team for putting together such a fantastic event.

Fire away, please!

Edited by showmasters

I LOVED the Comic of Win xD Made me giggle, and was fun to do. Any chance we'll get pics? :P

Also, was very happy with the games on offer.DDR and Guitar Hero = one happy Vicky!

Can't think of anything to add, just have to remember to bring my comic art pens with me next time :crying:

I'm VIckyAngel over at AL :P Wish I was old enough for Alcon!

Edited by xVickyCullenx

Video Zone

Some good choices there. When I first heard about it I thought there was going to be an area with like 12 computer screens + tables (you know... like LAN Tournaments) but instead we got an easy to enter fun time. For a first time it was great but it got a bit tiring standing up most of the time. Add more variety of games (perhaps something Valve-ish?) and feature a bigger tournament and I can't wait till next year; good work so far!

Artistic Alley

To be honest, it felt more like a rest-stop; which is fine but going around both days I never saw any of the artist lessons (or the lifedrawing which I was hoping to catch). I think there should have been a group activity that involved just anyone joining in to finish something? Drawing on random papers is fine as it is but it would have been awesome to see what everone chipped in and helped at the end of the day. A giant LFCC hand-drawn poster?

I've barely had any sleep but in short I enjoyed both zones; the video game zone worked better for this event as it brought people together, while the artistic zone felt more like a rest-stop. I hope you guys come back next year!

Hi Blackgaze. I was particularly pleased with how the VG Zone went. To answer some of your points -

VG Zone

- The idea behind the gaming area is for it not to be for hardcore gamers, but for casual fans. This is why we made everything very easy to just pick up and play, and why we tried to use as many multiplayer console games as possible (single player games don't encourage people to get to know one another).

- We decided not to have chairs because we didn't want to see a few people sitting down and staying there all day, which would have led to longer waits and stopped a lot of people from playing. This way it's more free-flowing and easier to get involved. Also if you're passing by then you're more likely to chat and interact to someone standing up than sitting down. Next time we may add a few tables and chairs set off to one side as a rest-area for the games so they can take a break from gaming and go and sit down and chat whilst remaining in the VG zone.

- We're already looking toward sourcing more games and consoles for next time, so variety won't be a problem whatsoever.

- Tournaments are something we plan to expand and build on - for sure. Bigger and better there. You'll notice that on the Sunday we switched the tournaments to the big screen, which worked a lot better.

Artist Alley

- Unfortunately some of the panelists could not make it to the Artist Alley. As such, some of the classes had to be canceled or scaled back. Sorry about this. Next time we're going to grab more panelists than required so we have backups on the day here.

- Regarding group activities, we did a group comic scroll, which was pretty epic. I get what you mean though, and we will be looking at ways to encourage a lot more attendee interaction and participation in the future. A giant poster? Most definitely - this is something we would actually like to do next time - put a giant A0 size piece of paper on one table and have everyone contribute to it.

I shall be chatting to my Artist Alley head of staff, Ruth (Also known as Cap'n Shooby), over the next few days, and we shall be looking at ways to make the Artist Alley work as well as the VG Zone did. :)

Edited by FreeSaiyan

I'd be interested to know what people thought of our BJD stand (the dollies)? We had a really good time and hope to be invited back :WINCE:

Oh a small criticism though- the ID badge and posters were spelt "ally" rather than "alley" so I felt a bit of a plank walking around with a badge spelt like that. I'm not sure if many people noticed as it's the kind of word you could get away with mispelt.

Edited by Absynthe

VG Zone... hrm, more games? Whenever I went past, it was always so busy!

To us this was excellent news, hopefully showmasters will heed your call. :blink:

Video Zone

Some good choices there. When I first heard about it I thought there was going to be an area with like 12 computer screens + tables (you know... like LAN Tournaments) but instead we got an easy to enter fun time. For a first time it was great but it got a bit tiring standing up most of the time. Add more variety of games (perhaps something Valve-ish?) and feature a bigger tournament and I can't wait till next year; good work so far!

I've barely had any sleep but in short I enjoyed both zones; the video game zone worked better for this event as it brought people together, while the artistic zone felt more like a rest-stop. I hope you guys come back next year!

- Thank you!

- I don't think a LAN setup would have been appropriate considering the event.

- As FreeSaiyan has said, it made it more fair on other people - we were going to use another system but I'm glad we didn't.

- If it was by Valve it would have to be on Xbox 360 - which would be Left 4 Dead or Orange Box - these could certainly be arranged. I too hope we can expand on the tournament and with a year to go me and the other provider of most of the older console can expand on our collection of games.

:P

Edited by speedlol!ta

One suggest for the VG tournaments or even the games in general is to have a list of controller instructions so people know how to play.

I entered the smash brawls contest, thinking that there would be an explanation of what controls did what, but there wasn't. Consequently I had no idea what I was doing and after standing, waiting for my turn for my turn for ages, I was out within a minute.

i have to say i thought the artist alley was poor, there were really no 'name' artist, i thought the selection was poor in comparison to the effort made for the media guests! bring in more mainstream comic artists next year!

i have to say i thought the artist alley was poor, there were really no 'name' artist, i thought the selection was poor in comparison to the effort made for the media guests! bring in more mainstream comic artists next year!

Further along there was a lot of tables where name artists were sitting. So they were there, you might just have not seen them.