YOUR ROTK REVIEWS!!!!!!!!!!&#3

vamps!

Oh & with regards to the Orc in charge - god he was annoying! He looked kinda like the guy with one eye from the Goonies! He was painful to look at!  :lol:

YES YES YES!!!! I thought that too!!! I'm glad someone else thought it too!

I love that film way too much!!!!!

When Merry and Pippin started singing on the table, I just wanted to start singing "hey ho to the bottle i go..."

I loved all the little jokes in it too!!! And people in the audience all cheered and laughed in the right places!!! It was so cool!!

I get confused about the whole grey havens things too, but is it like Middle Earths version of heaven where only elves go, aprt from then excepts ie, frodo and bilbo.

The 3 hours flew by too!!!

I want to see it again, I mean I WILL see it again!

But...Like...does frodo die when he gets there then? Or just live there untill he dies...hmm :lol:

ok gandalf noor frodo or any of the elves are dead , thay just go to the hevens ..which ,if i understand corctly, is not what mortals meen , thay just keep living but since this is the age were ther is no place for elvs and wizards est.thay fond this hiding place ..well it was biled for them a looooong time ago -foriden to man kind but back then some man did make it ..1 i think ( it's in the sil' )

but now -3rd age- no man can go ther at list not with out permishen :-)frodo was givin permishen cus he had the ring , so did bilbo , gandalf ..well he basicly comes from ther ..the elves well it's ther real home.

Edited by Nili

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm.... this Valinor thing is confusing, I've just looked over a few of my books, and I'll try to give a simplified history of the place, ok I'll start at the beginning:

In the beginning there was Eru (Iluvatar) and the offspring of his thought were the Valar (while actually the Ainur, but they became the Valar and from here on in I'm ignoring stuff like this OK) and he taught them many things and in their song they created Middle Earth to Eru's vision, though not all was well in the song for Melkor (Morgoth) the most powerful of the Valar sowed distress and discord in the music.

When the work was done, Eru showed the Valar a vision of Middle Earth and all that would happen there. And they loved it, and decided in their desire to live there and then many of the Valar moved to Middle-Earth, and with them went Melkor. But he revealed his treachery and with his hosts destroyed the land and their home, and without the power to overthrow him the Valar fled middle Earth.

At last they came to the Westernmost of all lands near the edge of the world and in that land they built Valinor and fortified it against Melkor and it became more beautiful than all of Middle-Earth

When the firstborn Children of Illuvatar (Eru), the Elves awoke on Middle-Earth the Valar found them, for Tulkas still hunted there and they led them to Valinor, though all did not go and they lived there for many years, until one of the peoples of the elves betrayed them and fled their shores returning to Middle Earth and their excile began.

Until many years later when Earendel returned to Valinor and bade the assistance of the Valar, and Melkor was banished and the excile was lifted and the elves could choose to return to Valinor from the Gray Havens.

OK that's a very rough history of Valinor

Next question....

just kidding

Lorannah

Hmmm.... this Valinor thing is confusing, I've just looked over a few of my books, and I'll try to give a simplified history of the place, ok I'll start at the beginning:

In the beginning there was Eru (Iluvatar) and the offspring of his thought were the Valar (while actually the Ainur, but they became the Valar and from here on in I'm ignoring stuff like this OK) and he taught them many things and in their song they created Middle Earth to Eru's vision, though not all was well in the song for Melkor (Morgoth) the most powerful of the Valar sowed distress and discord in the music.

When the work was done, Eru showed the Valar a vision of Middle Earth and all that would happen there. And they loved it, and decided in their desire to live there and then many of the Valar moved to Middle-Earth, and with them went Melkor. But he revealed his treachery and with his hosts destroyed the land and their home, and without the power to overthrow him the Valar fled middle Earth. 

At last they came to the Westernmost of all lands near the edge of the world and in that land they built Valinor and fortified it against Melkor and it became more beautiful than all of Middle-Earth

When the firstborn Children of Illuvatar (Eru), the Elves awoke on Middle-Earth the Valar found them, for Tulkas still hunted there and they led them to Valinor, though all did not go and they lived there for many years, until one of the peoples of the elves betrayed them and fled their shores returning to Middle Earth and their excile began.

Until many years later when Earendel returned to Valinor and bade the assistance of the Valar, and Melkor was banished and the excile was lifted and the elves could choose to return to Valinor from the Gray Havens.

OK that's a very rough history of Valinor

Next question....

just kidding

Lorannah

You've very nicely summed up most of the first part of the Silmarillion there! :wub: Perhaps we should just get PJ to make that his next film instead of King Kong and settle our confusion! :angry:

At the moment I'm reading a book about the friendship of Tolkien and C.S. Lewis - it's by a friend of mine, Colin Duriez who's one of the featured experts interviewed on the TTT extended DVD documentary. It's amazing how they shaped each other's work and if they'd never met we probably wouldn't have the Chronicles of Narnia or The Lord of the Rings - a frightening thought! :angry:

At the moment I'm reading a book about the friendship of Tolkien and C.S. Lewis - it's by a friend of mine, Colin Duriez who's one of the featured experts interviewed on the TTT extended DVD documentary. It's amazing how they shaped each other's work and if they'd never met we probably wouldn't have the Chronicles of Narnia or The Lord of the Rings - a frightening thought! :(

Your friend is on the TT extended DVD?! Dude, that rocks! :angry::D

OKay here goes...

Wow! The thing that really struck me in this movie was that it didnt feel long, but at points in the movie I would think back to say... the palatir scene with Pippin, and feel that it was so far away, and then realise that it was actually in the same film i was watching!

Another thing that I noticed was that I kept releasing breath I didn't know I was holding, especially in the battles scenes.

And omg! I knew Pippin's song was sad, I had already heard it, but when it was juxtaposed with Faramir, I was gone. Just gone! And when Pippin pleged himself to Denethor, I've not read ROTK, I was so shocked and sad and overcome with everything and just saw how much Pippin had grown to do such a thing. *sigh*

I do have to say that when Frodo sent Sam home, my heart was just meh! I kept clutching at the pendent on my necklace (which wasnt a ring one actually) in a bid to keep the tears from flowing. But i didnt see it as Frodo sending him home over the lembas, more that Gollum and the ring had corrupted Frodo's mind so much that he felt he couldnt trust even Sam with the ring. And how much did i hate Gollum for that?! Argh! I know it was the ring but *angry noise*

I do wish there was more of Dom in it, I really loved the development of Pippin, and missed the fact that Merry wasnt in it nearly as much. And i felt a little miffed that the 'you WILL see the shire again Pippin' wasnt in it. When i saw that on TTT i cried so much.

The Faramir and Denethor scenes really hurt to watch. They were just heart rendering. I just wanted to hug him! And when Denethor was trying to burn him... omg I certainly didnt see that one coming! although i didnt like Denethors death I just sat there thinking 'Wt*?!'. I assumed that was how it was in the book, so i stopped myself getting too annoyed but im getting the impression that it wasnt like that?

The relationship between Pippin and Gandalf I loved throughout this movie. The way it developed with Gandalf having a respect for Pippin. The white shores conversation was beautiful, as was the conversation about going to war. *deep sigh*

I really felt for Eowyn in this film, tbh in TTT she annoyed me, but i loved the parallel between Merry and her going to war. I thought the way their friendship came about was so natural yet it hadnt actually occured to me that it might.

Omg! ANDY! I loved that we got to see Andy on screen! It was like he will finally get the recognition from fans that he deserves! I think i loved this part so much because Andy so deserves it, he is a top guy and I'm so glad he opened the third and final film! Gollum just astounds me anyway, but as i said before he planted so much hate in me in this final film and i hate nothing and no one!

The thing i didnt really like in the film was Aragorn singing, The song was great in its own right, and Viggo's voice is lovely in a completely different way to Billy's but it just seemed to come out of nowhere and i found it somewhat reminiscent of a musical. = / And this might sound really odd, but um... I really hated Arwens dress at the end. All i could think was 'green?! Lime green?! why?!' I just compared it to all the rich elven colours used in the other dresses and it seemed so utterly wrong! But i guess when im nit picking at stupid things like that i really have nothing bad to say.

and i did love the fact that we got another hobbit song! WOOT! Tee hee! *big grins*

The stypid thing is i have so much more to say but this post is already huge....

But one more thing *grin* Wasnt the lighting of the beacons scene amazing! I just marvelled at that, it completely took my breath away. Just stunning filming!

*sigh* What a film...

At the moment I'm reading a book about the friendship of Tolkien and C.S. Lewis - it's by a friend of mine, Colin Duriez who's one of the featured experts interviewed on the TTT extended DVD documentary.  It's amazing how they shaped each other's work and if they'd never met we probably wouldn't have the Chronicles of Narnia or The Lord of the Rings - a frightening thought! :o

Your friend is on the TT extended DVD?! Dude, that rocks! B):D

Yes :D We belong to the same Writers club, so I heard quite a bit of the book before it was published. He knows Brian Sibley and they used one of his earlier books for research in the documentary on the extended DVD. :D

At the moment I'm reading a book about the friendship of Tolkien and C.S. Lewis - it's by a friend of mine, Colin Duriez who's one of the featured experts interviewed on the TTT extended DVD documentary.  It's amazing how they shaped each other's work and if they'd never met we probably wouldn't have the Chronicles of Narnia or The Lord of the Rings - a frightening thought! :o

Your friend is on the TT extended DVD?! Dude, that rocks! B):D

Yes :D We belong to the same Writers club, so I heard quite a bit of the book before it was published. He knows Brian Sibley and they used one of his earlier books for research in the documentary on the extended DVD. :D

Wow! That's mega cool. You're so lucky. Brian Sibley is also a very lucky man. :D

Wow! The thing that really struck me in this movie was that it didnt feel long, but at points in the movie I would think back to say... the palatir scene with Pippin, and feel that it was so far away, and then realise that it was actually in the same film i was watching!

Another thing that I noticed was that I kept releasing breath I didn't know I was holding, especially in the battles scenes.

And omg! I knew Pippin's song was sad, I had already heard it, but when it was juxtaposed with Faramir, I was gone. Just gone! And when Pippin pleged himself to Denethor, I've not read ROTK, I was so shocked and sad and overcome with everything and just saw how much Pippin had grown to do such a thing. *sigh*

I do have to say that when Frodo sent Sam home, my heart was just meh! I kept clutching at the pendent on my necklace (which wasnt a ring one actually) in a bid to keep the tears from flowing. But i didnt see it as Frodo sending him home over the lembas, more that Gollum and the ring had corrupted Frodo's mind so much that he felt he couldnt trust even Sam with the ring. And how much did i hate Gollum for that?! Argh! I know it was the ring but *angry noise*

The Faramir and Denethor scenes really hurt to watch. They were just heart rendering. I just wanted to hug him! And when Denethor was trying to burn him... omg I certainly didnt see that one coming! although i didnt

I do wish there was more of Dom in it, I really loved the development of Pippin, and missed the fact that Merry wasnt in it nearly as much. And i felt a little miffed that the 'you WILL see the shire again Pippin' wasnt in it. When i saw that on TTT i cried so much.

The relationship between Pippin and Gandalf I loved throughout this movie. The way it developed with Gandalf having a respect for Pippin. The white shores conversation was beautiful, as was the conversation about going to war. *deep sigh*

I really felt for Eowyn in this film, tbh in TTT she annoyed me, but i loved the parallel between Merry and her going to war. I thought the way their friendship came about was so natural yet it hadnt actually occured to me that it might.

Omg! ANDY! I loved that we got to see Andy on screen! It was like he will finally get the recognition from fans that he deserves! I think i loved this part so much because Andy so deserves it, he is a top guy and I'm so glad he opened the third and final film! Gollum just astounds me anyway

and i did love the fact that we got another hobbit song! WOOT! Tee hee! *big grins*

But one more thing *grin* Wasnt the lighting of the beacons scene amazing! I just marvelled at that, it completely took my breath away. Just stunning filming!

*sigh* What a film...

I completely and utterly agree with all of the above!

Hey there....well ive never in my life felt so emotionally drained. I came out the cinema speechless and then we went back in again and saw it again! lol! twice in 1 day, we really are crazy. But it had 2 be done!

There really is no words to explain the film, ive decided im in love with peter jackson lmao :D he really is a legend and i dont know what life would have been like if lord of the rings wasnt in it. I cant even imagine it, and i dont want to. Everything in it was amazing but i have to read the book to understand everything that happened, have to say im not sure why frodo left @ the end? my mate said coz he was a ring bearer, and to go with them was the only place where he could be looked after probably because of his whethertop wound? anyone definelt on this?

omg off 2 see it again in 4 hours haha! soo obsessed! WoOoOoOoO cant wait, and it better win all the awards in the world.

I think all my favourite moments have already been mentioned. The lighting of the beacons was stunning and the scenery was out of this world.

I loved the expression on Pippin's face as they passed the hobbit (the one that laughs at the fireworks in FOTR) on their return to Hobbiton.

After Shelob's initial appearance I though that was it, that maybe PJ wasn't going to have Frodo bitten by her after all, so when she re-appeared almost on top of Frodo all the hairs on the back of my neck stood up! That was a good scary moment!!!

it was absolutely amazing! i cried during the whole film! it was especially good coz i ddint kno wot was guna happen, coz i avnt read the book yet. my fave line has to be: "Come on u slags!" (well thats wot it sounded like!) byt he head uruk-hai blokie!!!! hehe!!!! my first big tear jerking moment was when pippin saw merry again after they had left each other ^_^

:lol: I LOVE U PETER JACKSON!!!! U R AMAZING!!!! :lol:

For some reason i was expecting a lot more from all the hype and the stars saying it was the best one of the lot. I look forward to seeing the extended version as it seemed very rushed. I was really prepared to cry from what i had heard i needed a box of tissues, but i felt no sorrow. It was a good film and Merry and Pippin really stole the show. They were great.

what muck ups???

ROTK made me cry, laugh, feel sick and have the hairs on the bak of my neck stand on end! It is a long time since a film has been able to do that 4 me! All i can say is it is an AMAZING FILM and i will probably enjoy it more today!

I really loved the development of Pippin, and missed the fact that Merry wasnt in it nearly as much. And i felt a little miffed that the 'you WILL see the shire again Pippin' wasnt in it. When i saw that on TTT i cried so much.

And this might sound really odd, but um... I really hated Arwens dress at the end. All i could think was 'green?! Lime green?! why?!' I just compared it to all the rich elven colours used in the other dresses and it seemed so utterly wrong! But i guess when im nit picking at stupid things like that i really have nothing bad to say.

Ok, i agree with almost everything u said there but i especially agrre with the line from merry -- "we will see the shire again, pippen" i really wish that was in it cause it proves how much merry looks out for him and has this hope that they will make it out alive (even though there are other moments like this in the film but its such a good line...it should have been in it. look out for it in the 4 disc set.)

and also....arwens dress!! i know what u mean, green is such a hard colour for anyone to carry off but that shade of green on a peally-whalley elf just looked...well, naff! but anyhoo, its such an amazing film things like that become cancelled out and aren't worth bringing up so really im talking nonsense. ignore this!

XX

Well i've know seen it twice and i must say the 2nd time i loved it alot more than the first.

My expectations were so high and it is very rushed i soo can't wait for the extended but still so amazing

things that stood out for me were

Pippin- proberly the best all through the expresions he can show with just a twitch of an eyebrow and what a singing voice

Gandalf and Pippin- some amazing scenes esp the about death scene had me in tears and when he just put his arm around pippin's shoulders

Merry and Eowyn- not much on either character (come on extended) but what they did show was amazing i esp loved the tent scene)

Faramir - Just the pure emotion so much more like book faramir he made me cry so much

The Corination- OMG just wow Aragorn and Legolas looked gorge as did Arwen (tho i get what u mean about the dress colour) and Eowyn and Faramir standing next to each other i was like Ohh Yes hehe

The Rohirmm charge- Just wow the look on the Orcs faces

My only ifs were

Smeagal/Deagal- I didn't like this scene at all it just didn't work for me once Deagal was gone it was great but i just felt i was watching an MTV Parody

Denethor's death- Way too OTT should have left it like it was in the book

and only a lil thing but the hobbits were all the same size at the end

everything else should be fixed in the Extended i'm esp looking forward to the Houses of healing, more Merry and the mouth of Sauron.

And i'm going to see it for the 3rd time tomorrow yeahhh :)

Sam

xx

p.s.- Is any one else's loo stop at Shelob hehe she's way to scary lol

After having the first two films enriched by finally watching the Extended Editions, I finally saw Returnof the King tonight and must say it was bloody excellent. I had been dismayed to see that some individuals had already started moaning about the odd mistake here and there. Call me stupid, but I go to the cinema to see the film.

Onto the film...

I didn't cry but there were a few AWWWWW moments.

Merry & Pippin dressed up in Armour was hilarious.

My boy Gollum meeting his maker...HAPPY...

Legolas and Gimli counting again during battle, and when Legolas kills the big elephant like creature Gimli coming out with the cracking comment of "That still only counts as one!!"

I will probably see it at the cinema again in a few weeks but I have a few others to see in the meantime.

Oh, and the costumes, SFX and music were even better in this film.