Matt Smith?

guardian

So what do fans (or non-fans, I'm not discriminating!) think of Matt Smith?

Personally I think he's too young for the role, the Doctor is over 900 years after all... Couldn't they have picked somebody to give the character a little bit of "presence" or somebody that people may respect? He's going to be asked for ID everywhere he goes.

And that chin looks like it belongs on a Grand National winner, to say nothing of the mane.. I mean hair.

People of Britain: what are your opinions?

:D

Going into it with a open mind this time around.

Really enjoyed Christopher Eccleston and when David Tennant was announced I thought that wouldn't work. Thankfully I couldn't have been more wrong :wub:

So I will get back to you after a few epsisodes of Mr Smith

So what do fans (or non-fans, I'm not discriminating!) think of Matt Smith?

Personally I think he's too young for the role, the Doctor is over 900 years after all... Couldn't they have picked somebody to give the character a little bit of "presence" or somebody that people may respect? He's going to be asked for ID everywhere he goes.

And that chin looks like it belongs on a Grand National winner, to say nothing of the mane.. I mean hair.

People of Britain: what are your opinions?

:D

Peter Davison was 29 when he was the Doctor so age hasn't got anything to do with it. Don't forget he's playing a 900-year old Time Lord, not a 26 year-old. That's the whole point in 'renegention', turning into a old-looking man would be pointless!

As far as looks go - he looks more like a 'proper' Time Lord than any other Doctor, if he can act like it too, everyone will be coming back here in a years time and saying 'hes the best Doctor ever'. You watch!

You got to remember that Doctors 1,2,3,4,7 were not very conventional in the looks department either and with regards to the chin its not done the guy from teen girl phenomenon(15000 plus posts and rising) Twilight any harm or going further back James Van Der Beek or going even further Bruce Forsyth.

Tennants been great but the times right for change and whilst im greatful for what RTD has done im glad his song is ending soon too after the xmas and easter episodes which i feel were very weak despite the best efforts of SOME of the cast.

Im looking forward to the Moffat era of Who a great deal.

A new Doctor,a new Tardis interior,a probable revamp of the theme tune and probably a darker direction.

Once i got over the fact that Tennant was leaving the new doctor buzz kicked in and as i love a regeneration i cant wait for that last shot on New years day or whenever its going to be on.

Ill admit the special that introduced Matt Smith was an ordeal as i was convinced Patterson Joseph had got the job but when they announced Matt i roared a yes pretty much like i do whenever Man City score which hasnt been much this season.

He looks the part and if people are going to stop watching because Tennant has left well they are not fans of the show.I know people have only seen Tennants doctor but this is how it goes down.The doctor regenerates....get over it.Im sure people were the same when Pertwee left.I was a very small child and i was devastated and cried all night when Pertwee copped it my mum tells me but after ROBOT ended Tom Baker pretty much had me sold and i reckon these little kids of today who have played a big part in the shows success will be the same.

Roll on Easter 2010.

Before anybody gets the wrong impression I am a massive Who fan and will watch the show no matter what. I started watching in 1974 at the age of 2 and have never looked back.

Having grown up with several Doctors I just feel that he seems too young to take seriously. I'm all for some healthy debate on this but that's just my opinion. I wonder if they're aiming at the younger market rather than the casual watcher with their teen friendly Doctor? He looks like he could've been in Twilight!

:poki:

I don't see how anyone can really have a serious opinion of him being cast, as we've not seen him as the Doctor yet. His acting can't be criticised, people should know better than to criticise his looks(are people really that shallow?(a new series with him will even show the true fans of the show, as I can tell a lot of people just watch new Who because they 'love' David Tennant.

With regards to his age, I think it says something that Steven Moffat specifically didnt want a young actor, and only cast him due to him giving a spectacular performance.

Aside from that, the idea of regeneration is that the Doctors body is broken and needs to be rejuvinated. It'd make sense story wise that he'd regenerate into the body of a young man.

People will always have an opinion and frankly that's a good thing. As far as the newly regenerated body being a young one I'll quote the Fifth Doctor:

"That's the trouble with regeneration... You never know what you're going to get!"

• 2 weeks later...

As there are no 900 year old people to model the doctor on give the a man chance.

You never know he might suprise you dosent matter who is cast not every will agree with the choice.

I for one will watch first then decide if he is up to the role?

Edited by barnowl

I'm looking forward to seeing him as the Doctor. I thought he was good in the Ruby and the Smoke, and I hope he can bring something new and interesting to the role. I only started watching it during David Tennant's time as the Doctor - and although I don't think any Doctor will be the same for me as him as he was the first I saw, the other's I've seen have been fantastic - and, as long as Matt Smith can carry the character in a direction I like, I don't really mind what he looks like. I can't wait to see how the show develops with a new Doctor and writer.