FANFIC COMPETITION ENTRY

bewarethepossums

An Unfortunate Proposition

“For goodness’ sake, Alice, stop that!†Glaring at her in the rear view mirror didn’t seem to help at all, considering I had been doing so for the last three minutes to no avail. It made me feel better though (less inclined to rip out her annoying little brain) so I continued as I pulled into the familiar parking lot of Forks High.

Flashing me a sly smirk, so did she.

It was times like this when I realised how much of a curse my so called “gift†of mind reading really was (despite the fact that it sometimes came in useful, what with Emmett’s frequent attempts to secretly reupholster the inside of my Volvo with fluffy, pink seat covers and matching dice).

“You know I hate that song. It’s a disgraceful and lewd generalisation, and I don’t approve of women being referred to in that way. Besides, he can’t even carry a tune!â€

Noticing the nonplussed expressions reflected across the features of the others, besides Rosalie, who rolled her eyes superciliously and started out of the window, I added, “Alice is hiding something again, and she’s singing that truly terrible song in her head, the one from the radio yesterday.â€

Naturally, Emmett laughed and joined in, so I made a mental note never to let him choose the radio station again. Ever.

Unfortunately for me, it wasn’t long until I found out for myself just what Alice had predicted.

It had been two months since we moved back to Forks, and to be honest, people still hadn’t gotten over the novelty of five brand new faces to gawp at. Today was no different, especially after we had been away hunting for the majority of the week before. So as we made our way across the crowded car park, my mind was assaulted by dozens of others, filled with thoughts of “Cullen†this and “Cullen†that. Alice’s signing suddenly didn’t seem so annoying.

All I could do was screw up my eyes and try to let the barrage of thoughts wash over me, thinking that if I were human, I would definitely have a migraine by now. Then again, if I were human, I wouldn’t be condemned to this soulless eternity.

Perhaps if I had actually been listening to some of the trivial whining, I wouldn’t have been caught as completely off guard. I would have had a chance to escape.

But as it was, I was entirely flummoxed when a hand tapped me on the shoulder, just as the bell rang to signal the end of Physics class.

Once I was paying attention, her thoughts screamed at me so loudly I was amazed I hadn’t noticed before. My stomach immediately lurched in horror as I realised who it was, what she wanted, and that there was nowhere to run. With enormous effort, I managed to school my features into something that less resembled disgust, before I turned around to face Jessica Stanley.

I was going to kill Alice.

Jade Hill

Age 17

Edited by bewarethepossums

• 2 weeks later...