THE TERMINATOR 25th Anniversary reunion

nicky

Biehn - I know he's been rumoured for a small role in Avatar, but I can't believe he's not going to make a few appearances on the back of the new Terminator film. Normally I'd go for a movie poster, but I know I'll never get Arnie in a million years, so instead I'm aiming to get this signed : -

Biehn is not ionvolved with Avatar, he answered that question on imdb (back when he used to post on his board). Jentte Goldstein auditioned but didnt get the part she told me.

If this reunion goes ahead and I'd get a T1 poster even without Arnie, but there'd have to be a decent calibre and number of guests to make up for his absence but I understand why you woudnt buy one. My Raiders poster only has 3 sigs on but all main characters so thats OK.

Yeah I'm in the same boat of course - no chance of Harrison Ford. But the trouble is that the only thing on the Terminator poster is Arnie's fizzog - at least with Raiders you've got Marion, Belloq, and Sallah (along with a couple of others) on there, so I'm very happy with my Raiders poster. Hopefully one day I'll be able to add a couple of sigs to my Last Crusade poster, and maybe start a Temple Of Doom one too.

I was hoping there'd be an alternate form somewhere with Reese and Sarah on there, but couldn't find anything. It'd feel a bit odd to get the two other principal cast members to sign Arnie's face. Not sure what to do to be honest.

It's a pity about Avatar by the way - would have been nice to have Biehn and Goldstein back. At least Weaver's got a part!

Edited by MikeDonovan

was hoping there'd be an alternate form somewhere with Reese and Sarah on there, but couldn't find anything.

It's a pity about Avatar by the way - would have been nice to have Biehn and Goldstein back. At least Weaver's got a part!

The Terminator was always Arnold's movie - I've never seen an alternate poster with Hamilton and Biehn on, they were unknowns back then so wouldnt be on the poster on their own. Plus it does say "Schwarzenegger" above the the title so its only natural he'd be the main feature on it. A lobby still is your best bet or some other image but the poster is so iconic you just cant ignore it and replace it!

Goldstein told me she auditioned for Avatar for the role of "The White Queen"...but it went to Sigourney??? AFAIK that's not the role she is playing. Jeanette is great, met her 3 times, last time being 2004 and she remmebered me since then this year at CM as did Rico Ross. Quite an honour for me seeing as they must attend loads of cons and meets loads of fans.

Edited by nicky

Well I'm getting an original Terminator poster and when it's got Michael Biehn and Linda Hamilton's signitures on it I'll get it framed. I don't really see it as just an Arnie flick because Sarah and Reese are just as central to the story as the Terminator.

I don't really see it as just an Arnie flick because Sarah and Reese are just as central to the story as the Terminator.

I agree - you could put a case forward that the Terminator is really only a plot device to put the protagonists together, and that Reese and Connor are the real story. They get the arc, the character development, etc., while the Terminator really only exists as a force of nature, to push them from scene to scene - just like the boat in Titanic.

I watched it in HD recently, and it's funny when you realize that Arnie himself actually isn't in that much of the film - nothing like the same percentage as he was in T2 for example. I think it's a real testament to Stan Winston's work that later in the film you never question that the endoskeleton 'was' Arnie - you just accept it. On top of that, even when Arnie isn't in frame, he's there, as a presence - talked about or not, you know he's not far behind. I think that was Cameron's genius - just like the Aliens in 'Aliens', through careful editing and tight scripting he took 20 minutes of powerful footage and imbued it all the way through a 2 hour film.

Can't wait for Avatar to rape my eyeballs in 3-D this year!

I agree - you could put a case forward that the Terminator is really only a plot device to put the protagonists together, and that Reese and Connor are the real story. They get the arc, the character development, etc., while the Terminator really only exists as a force of nature, to push them from scene to scene - just like the boat in Titanic.

Yeah, I know the T-800 was just the MacGuffin. I meant it was Arnie's film, not from a story point of view, but from a promotional point of view. The film was a Schwarzenegger "vehicle" and he was the star.

Edited by nicky

• 2 weeks later...

We have now reached a new level of PC on this forum. Can anyone beat this high score?

Having said that, I hope that McG hasnt "raped" my childhood...though it may be too late for that already since T3 and TSCC have already fuct with it.

Edited by nicky

If Avatar is a huge success (it probably will be) and Weaver gives a good performance (and doesnt look too old) maybe it'll make Jimbo & Ridley think more about their hinted Alien 5 collaboration. Last I heard though was Weaver and Ridley hint they'd like to make it without any aliens and make the story solely about Ripley? :blink:

We have now reached a new level of PC on this forum. Can anyone beat this high score?

Having said that, I hope that McG hasnt "raped" my childhood...though it may be too late for that already since T3 and TSCC have already fuct with it.

Terminator 3 wasn't the complete abortion I was expecting it to be - don't get me wrong it wasn't great, but it could have been a hell of a lot worse. Trouble is, I've been saying that a lot in the last 10 years - everything is "not as bad as it could have been". i.e. Live Free Or Die Hard was "not as bad as it could have been".

I suppose my childhood was utterly violated with the Phantom Menace - after that, I felt numb. Since then, at worst films have been like an inappropriate touch from a creepy uncle.

For once I'd like to see something that actually lives up to my expectations. I mean, even Indy IV didn't manage it. I wasn't expecting Raiders again - Temple would have done it. Instead we got a few moments dead on target, some reasonable moments, and then that stupid ****ing fridge. Lucas strikes again.

Now I read they're making a sequel to the Thing. With a character who's Macready's brother. ****ers.

Edited by MikeDonovan

If Avatar is a huge success (it probably will be) and Weaver gives a good performance (and doesnt look too old) maybe it'll make Jimbo & Ridley think more about their hinted Alien 5 collaboration. Last I heard though was Weaver and Ridley hint they'd like to make it without any aliens and make the story solely about Ripley?:headscratch:

I think if they were going to do it they would have done it by now. Don't forget Jimbo wants to move on to Battle Angel Alita, and Scott's got a full dance card for the next 6 years. The trouble is, Fox just have no idea about how to make films - absolutely none. This will be the template for the next Alien film : -

* Ignore any recent poorly received 'canon', instead going back to the source to try to revive the golden goose

* Insert as many of the original story elements as possible, in a vague attempt at fan service

* Have a high profile actor that ties in this new film to the original, preferably in a cameo to lower costs

* Give the centre seat to a universally derided director who has no history of 'greatness' of any kind

* Make sure it has a PG-13 rating, even if that's completely at odds with the whole ethos of the franchise

Of course, all of this sounds very much like Terminator IV, right down to the Linda Hamilton voiceover cameo. What makes it worse is that when they operate like this, i.e. with Live Free Or Die Hard, the film makes money, so it validates their methods, and they do it again. Ergo Beverly Hills Cop IV, directed by Brett Ratner, rating PG-13.

The only thing I can give McG is that he has Christian Bale, but at the end of the day Bale has made just as many **** films as he has good ones. He's a good actor, a good presence, but mark my words this film is going to be workmanlike at best. It really bugs me that, as the great James Kirk would say, "Like a poor marksman they just. keep. missing. the. target".

Edited by MikeDonovan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

HT managed to get the likeness issue this time around and approval from McG and Bale himself. HT had authentic license rights for The Dark Knight but I dont think the sculpt was personally approved. The Arnie "Dutch" sculpt is just as good as the John Connor one..

Edited by nicky

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...