Sportsmania 4?

hammersgirl

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It was a good idea to have the last Sportsmania as part of another show & I think SM should be looking to do the same again if & (hopefully) when they start planning Sportsmania 4. Another idea would be to have a themed show based around a major sporting event.

So here is my BIG suggestion; this summer sees 2 massive cricketing events in this country, The Ashes and the Twenty 20 World Cup. So why not try to get some former & current cricketing legends to attend an SM show? Having a cricket based Sportsmania would cash in on the publicity generated by The Ashes and the Twenty 20 World Cup.

Carrying on this idea; SM are looking to move Collectormania Manchester to the summer, so why not combine Collectormania Manchester & Sportsmania 4?

Lets keep the idea rolling; Sunday 30th August & Tuesday 1st September sees England playing Australia in two Twenty 20 matches at Old Trafford, Manchester. So over the weekend starting 28th August, Manchester will be awash with cricket supporters. Organize a combined & 'WELL' advertised show for that weekend & you should be looking at a very highly attended show.

Final part of the suggestion; have the usual big names from the last Sportsmania's attending as well (England '66 squad, Sir Henry Cooper, Frank Bruno, etc...) because Manchester/ the North West has a huge sporting history & to my limited knowledge no show like this has happened in this area, so you might be tapping into a whole new market.

As I said it's just a suggestion & I'm not daft enough to think 4 paragraphs is all it takes to produce an SM show.

But it may give someone an idea & maybe even solve two problems:-

- 1/ is it right to reschedule Collectormania Manchester to the summer,

and,

- 2/ can a Sportsmania 4 be made to work?

So, what do the good people of SM think.....anyone? :D

Edited by 18blue78

Not a cricket fan myself, but I could see this working.

I don't know. This was a few years ago, but over the course of a few years I got a large number of cricket autographs just from catching players after practice before the game, or bumping into past and former players around the grounds during matchdays. Everyone of them was very gracious and happy to sign for free. There certainly used to be a "culture" in the game that players and ex-players signed freely. That may have changed now, but it may be that many people interested specifically in cricketing autos have already got them or are of the opinion that they can get them freely. As such, I don't know whether they would be attracted to an event where payment was the order of the day.

As I say, it's been a few years since I did my cricket autograph "hunting", so the situation may have changed now as the game has become more commercial...

You're right TommyT, a lot of cricketers will happily sign for free. Some of my most treasured items are those signed by Shane Warne, Muttiah Muralitharan and Ian Botham and none of them cost me a penny. But the autographs you get in and around cricket grounds tend to be rushed.

Take Shane Warne, who would sign anything for you, as an example. Because of the amount of people asking him for autographs at cricket grounds you will normally only get a one word scribble.

I luckily got to meet him at a book signing where he was sat down and relaxed. After a brief chat he signed his book and also a cricket ball, both of them with his full signature that looks stunning.

He even took the time to rewrite his autograph on the ball because he wasn't happy with the pen he'd used (the only time I have ever seen anyone take such care while signing). This simply wouldn't have happened had there been a crowd of people around him.

I know we would all like to get our autographs for free, but at an event it's not just about the signature. It's also a chance to meet the person, have a quick chat/photo and, importantly for me anyway, not feel like you are impeding on their time. And in return for your £10/£15 you get a true example of their autograph on what ever item you want (you'd probably get arrested if you walked into Lord's with a pocket full of cricket balls :dance: ).

The success of any event like this would ultimately depend upon the guests who you could get to attended. Michael Vaughan, Steve Harmison and Alec Stewart would draw a good crowd.

But the likes of say Sir Garfield Sobers, Brian Lara and Sourav Ganguly are the type of legends that the average cricket fan rarely gets to meet. And it would be names like these that would get people queuing out of the door.

• 1 month later...

Hey Eveybody!

For aaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssss on the Sports Mania Events website it has had a scrolling "Very exciting news to be announced soon regarding Sportsmania 2009 - Check back soon" at the top of the page.

Does anybody have any ideas about what this is about? To be honest I'm tired of checking this everyday cos it never seems to be updated!

Somebody save me :) :P

I'm going to add 2 & 2 together here...and get a BILLION!

Firstly, I recently received a newsletter from a sports autograph dealer (not going to say which one in case it breaks the forum rules) saying quote: "We have just secured a deal with PELE for two Theatre dates. One in London & one in Bournemouth this summer".

Now there is this interesting announcement on the Sports Mania site.

I'm I daft to be getting excited about something that probably isn't connected?!!!!!

• 2 months later...

Just a suggestion for the next Sports Mania (if it ever happens).

Seeing there was a missed opportunity with the Summer Olympics last year, thought I'd ask about the possibility of doing something around the Winter Olympics next year (Feb 12th-28th in Vancouver, for anyone who might be interested)?

Obviously Britain doesn't have as much history with the winter games, but I think Torvill and Dean would be a massive pull for any event. And my personal favourite would be Eddie "The Eagle" Edwards :D

With only a few well known winter athletes you'd still have to have your main stream guests as well. But this might be a way of cashing in on peoples interest.

Just a thought.

• 1 month later...