Doctor Who/Spinoff Audios

cyberdrunk

Anyone listen to them? The main ones that I listen to are the stuff from Big Finish. They release a new story every month from either the Davison, C.Baker and McCoy Doctors. Paul McGann has his own series and they're pretty good. I also enjoy listening to the Bernice Summerfield ones, Bernice is a spinoff from the old Virgin New Adventures novels which filled the gap after the TV series got cancelled in 1989. She's a similar character to 'River Song' (from thw 2008 series) and it's my favourite Doctor Who spinoff!

I find most of the stories excellent and great to listen to. It's all dramatised and it lets your imagination run free whilst listening to them! They star some classic companions and monsters and its all ran by Nick 'voice of the Daleks' Briggs!

Anyway here are my recommendations from each Doctor:

Peter Davison - 'Spare Parts' and 'The Game'

Colin Baker - too many to mention! Although 'Doctor Who and the Pirates' is a really funny (and musical!) story! My own personal favourites are Arrangements for War and Thicker than Water, they are two different audios but Thicker Than Water is the sequel and together they both excellent! Check out his audios with original companion 'Evelyn Smythe' its one of the best combinations I've seen in any Doctor Who media!

Sylvester McCoy - 'The Harvest' and 'Night Thoughts'

Paul McGann - 'The Chimes of Midnight' (Monthly Series) 'Sisters of the Flame'/'Vengeance of Morbius' (EDA)

Big Finish also do a number of other ranges, including Stargate, Dark Shadows, Sapphire & Steel and 2000AD and they're well worth a look!

Oh and don't listen to Night Thoughts or Chimes of Midnight in the dark, like I did! I was having nightmares for days! ;)

http://www.bigfinish.com/

Edited by cyberdrunk

I've been listening to their Doctor Who audios since 2000, starting off with The Shadow of The Scourge. Although I don't have them all, due to moving to an area where no store stocks them, I have enjoyed a lot of what I have heard, and have begun to pick up a couple every two weeks or so from Play.com and such, hoping to build up the collection and get up to date.

There was a fan actor who was begging to be in them many moons ago. Got his wish too. Name of David Tennant.

Yes indeed, he's been in quite a lot actually. off the top of my head, he plays a German officer, who takes a 'shine' to Ace in 'Colditz' and 'Daft Jamie' in 'Medical Purposes'. He also took the title role in 'The Adventures of Luther Arkwright' (which I haven't heard yet!) and he was in one of the Doctor Who Unbound stories too! (the one where Arabella Weir played The Doctor). I think he may have been in a couple of the Dalek Empire and the Gallifrey ones, not sure. And all this before he was cast as The Doctor!

So I think its fair to say if Big Finish do get a licence to do the new series, David will be doing audios long after he's finished on TV!

Edited by cyberdrunk

and he was in one of the Doctor Who Unbound stories too! (the one where Arabella Weir played The Doctor). I think he may have been in a couple of the Dalek Empire and the Gallifrey ones, not sure. And all this before he was cast as The Doctor!

He was the lead in Dalek Empire 3, with a predoctor Doctor accent.

But you missed probably his greatest Big Finish Role - The Brig's replacement Colonel Brimmicombe-Wood in the 2nd Unbound - Sympathy for the Devil. He even reprised the role in the UNIT spinoff which I think was after he'd been cast on the TV show.

and he was in one of the Doctor Who Unbound stories too! (the one where Arabella Weir played The Doctor). I think he may have been in a couple of the Dalek Empire and the Gallifrey ones, not sure. And all this before he was cast as The Doctor!

He was the lead in Dalek Empire 3, with a predoctor Doctor accent.

But you missed probably his greatest Big Finish Role - The Brig's replacement Colonel Brimmicombe-Wood in the 2nd Unbound - Sympathy for the Devil. He even reprised the role in the UNIT spinoff which I think was after he'd been cast on the TV show.

Yes, I haven't listened to that one yet, thanks for the tip! :unsure: