First spacemen Joe Kittinger jr. and David Simons

Helmut Heisig

Hello Dave and all,

I would like to suggest to invite Joe Kittinger jr. and David Simons to Autographica 12 in London-Heathrow.

Joe and David were the first spacemen before Sputnik made headlines.Both pilots flew with a ballon to the edge of space and the New York Times celebrated David Simons as "First Space Man".On June,2nd,1957,Joe Kittinger jr. flew with Manhigh 1 and reached the altitude of 97000 feet (29.6 km).David Simons flew on August,19th and 20th,1957 with Manhigh 2 and reached the record altitude of 101,516 feet (30,95 km).I think it would be great,to meet these first space heroes at Autographica.

Further suggestions for Autographica 12 are the astronauts Ed Mitchell,Alan Bean,Jack Lousma,Richard Gordon,Scott Carpenter and Al Worden.Also it would be nice to have Sy Liebergot,Guenter Wendt and Gene Kranz in London-Heathrow.

Best

Helmut

Hello Dave and all,

I would like to suggest to invite Joe Kittinger jr. and David Simons to Autographica 12 in London-Heathrow.

Joe and David were the first spacemen before Sputnik made headlines.Both pilots flew with a ballon to the edge of space and the New York Times celebrated David Simons as "First Space Man".On June,2nd,1957,Joe Kittinger jr. flew with Manhigh 1 and reached the altitude of 97000 feet (29.6 km).David Simons flew on August,19th and 20th,1957 with Manhigh 2 and reached the record altitude of 101,516 feet (30,95 km).I think it would be great,to meet these first space heroes at Autographica.

Further suggestions for Autographica 12 are the astronauts Ed Mitchell,Alan Bean,Jack Lousma,Richard Gordon,Scott Carpenter and Al Worden.Also it would be nice to have Sy Liebergot,Guenter Wendt and Gene Kranz in London-Heathrow.

Best

Helmut

I second your suggestion Helmut... And the talks Colonel Joe and David Simons could give would be AMAZING!!

...and I fourth it!

I have Lt. Col. David Simons book 'Man High' from 1960, its a ex-library copy and a great read. If these chaps were to come over would they have there autobiographies?

Mean while have a look at...

http://www.sover.net/~devstar/MANHIGH2--DSIMONS.pdf

Regards all

von Dawson's Express

PS We had Dr Allan Chapman at our astronomical society in York on Friday night, he's a great speaker and I got (another) book signed by him.

Hello Dave and all,

Best

Helmut

I'll fifth your suggestions.

Any astronauts get my support. :smile: