Cosplay at C13...

Me and my friends watched the Sat and Sun competitions.

What a complete farce!

The organisation was not a patch on C12. We all felt it was embarrassing to watch!

And a complete lack of enthusiasm from everyone involved!

Nearly everyone we spoke to didn't even know what half the costumes were from, even though that's nothing to do with the competition, but Collectormania fans don't generally know obscure characters from Anime.

The crowd was much bigger at C12, and the atmosphere was just much more energetic.

Lots for the costume organisers to work on for next time, definitely.

Me and my friends watched the Sat and Sun competitions.

What a complete farce!

The organisation was not a patch on C12. We all felt it was embarrassing to watch!

Nearly everyone we spoke to didn't even know what half the costumes were from, even though that's nothing to do with the competition, but Collectormania fans don't generally know obscure characters from Anime.

The crowd was much bigger at C12, and the atmosphere was just much more energetic.

Lots for the costume organisers to work on for next time, definitely.

There actually just needs to be more cosplayers next time. I joined the comp as I liked the look of the prizes and the fact that I thought numbers were very low. I did actually enjoy myself and have hopefully given myself alil more confidence for next time. Don't think many people knew I was Tonks but thats mainly because there wasn't a huge Harry Potter crowd at the event. Seems as so many people said they would do Order of the Phoenix at c-13 and I was the only one from the actual Order and then there was of course Legolassie Malfoy, our friend Tony as a Death Eater and I randomly saw two girlies in Gryffindor and Hufflepuff robes.

I'd have to agree that the event was poor. It was far too far away from the main event and nothing was done to announce it better. I think that there is indeed a fair bit of work to do.

I found that people with really amazing costumes were put off entering as they believed they would be penalised for it. The general consensus I found was people thought that they would be considered "professional" and therefore wouldn't be considered for a ranking prize.

The whole idea is for it to be a competition so I believe that by having the better made costumes holding the ranking positions means people will aim for better the next time around.

Not knowing the characters that are being portrayed is unfortunate but at the end of the day for people to appreciate the costume, the work that has gone into it and the characterisation it would have to be something people recognised.

If I turned up to Anime-con in an attempt to look like Starbuck from Battlestar Galactica I'm sure I would get the same reaction!

I had heard that people were asked to provide photos of the characters they were imitating? This is a very good idea, and I believe this should be continued.

So in conclusion (as people tend not to read anything and fly off the handle).

- Good try, nice prizes and good judging panel.

- Needs a better location at the events. More central and nearer to a constant flow of people.

- Get representatives out into the crowd. Approach people in costume and ask them to come along. Make yourself known at events.

- The "presentation" of the overall event needs to meet (if not exceed) the Showmasters themselves.

- Discuss things with the people that will make the competition what it is. Don't say: "We're doing this, that's the end of it." Supply people with a list of options and then come to a conclusion that way.

I have a lot more to say and some of it isn't positive. I hope what I have said has given somebody some pointers to move forward in a better way to make the costume competition and gathering better and much bigger than it is at the moment.

It has such potential!

Edited: Because I speech England well. Hurk.

Edited by Smaug

I agree with most of what you say Smaug. Tho I think they may need a seperate day for groups. That way they can sort out group prizes as well. Didn't think it was too fair that the Ghostbusters had one prize (the Halo 3 gun) to share between 4 of them.

I think the reason it was down that end (was discussing it with Legolassie Malfoy) was so it didn't interfere with the event itself. Don't think people getting signatures would have appriciated it if they had to walk through a huge crowd of people watching the cosplay event to get the the guest they wanted to see. I also think another reason may be that they didn't want it to close to the guests as it could have proved somewhat distracting. But I do agree that it needs a better location.

I think the other problem as I said was that there wasn't many people in costume so thats why there werent as many people down there. I have seen the competitions alot bigger then that. I also think that some people dont like the idea of wearing costume in a public area (i.e. a shopping centre)

I think the reason it was down that end (was discussing it with Legolassie Malfoy) was so it didn't interfere with the event itself.

I disagree with that straight away.

It's supposed to be a part of the event, but for some reason,it's just getting left on the sidlines not giving anyone any incentive to enter.

Rach is absolutely right about mentioning people not entering because their costumes looked too good. The more professional looking ones don't tend to get as much recognition.

It's either the really poor ones, or ones that have been bought form the actuaol studios like the Klingons that won at C12, who shouldn't have been allowed to enter!! No effort goes into a costume that's been bought!

The costume events do need to be promoted more, in fact a lot of people didn't even know where the comp was being held!

And the thing with the photo reference of characters would have been a big help.

I was only telling you what I have been told. I have already agreed I think it needs moving to somewhere more centralised. I do disagree with it not being interefering with the con it should be part of it and should be advertised more. Maybe even getting help from people who are in costume would be a good idea.

I was only telling you what I have been told. I have already agreed I think it needs moving to somewhere more centralised. I do disagree with it not being interefering with the con it should be part of it and should be advertised more. Maybe even getting help from people who are in costume would be a good idea.

Yeah, I know what you meant, it wasn't an attack on you. =p

But you're right, it definitely needs making more a part of the con.

Edited by Lady of The Realm

Yeah, I know what you meant, it wasn't an attack on you. =p

But you're right, it definitely needs making more a part of the con.

Ah ok, wasn't sure if it was aimed at me or just the con in general so yeah. Hence replying the way I did.

I'm sorry but that's hardly fair. Most of your points are true- the location was terrible and they really needed to advertise it (the only reason we knew there was a masquerade was because we spotted the cosplay desk while we were in the queue for Barrowman) but saying that the people involved had no enthusiasm is wrong. All we could do was get on the stage and pose. Skits aren't allowed and we can usually make people laugh or put on a performance with the questions but they cut those out at the last minute (Not that I'm actually complaining about that, since they asked all the contestants at Manchester questions and the masq went on for so long that half the contestants had already left to catch trains before the results were announced and the members of the audience were visably trying to find a means of escape).

And you're right, the origin of the cosplay has nothing to do with the competition. There were anime fans there even if their numbers were few, so we apologise for cosplaying something you don't know but getting fans is not what cosplay is about for us.

Also, a lot of the proffesional ones (on the Sunday at least) were either bought or had entered a Collectormania competition before and therefore weren't allowed to enter again.

I must admit though, there's something wrong with a competion where us girls, with very little self confidence, thought "We're going to do well simply because there's no one else here."

When i say 'everone involved', I meant the organisers.

And fair enough if people want to do obscure characters no one's heard of, but the picture reference idea would have at least gave everyone something to compare them to!

And to be fair, I didn't really see any costumes that had been bought, apart from a few Klingons and Star Wars.

But I think bought costumes should definitely not be allowed to enter any future competitions.

Edited by Lady of The Realm

I'm suprised I even entered. I wasn't actually going to but I liked the look of the Halo gun so decided that maybe it was a good idea to enter the competition. My costume was pretty much completely hand made, bar obviously that the pants, and shirt were changed extensively and the grey top I wore was not but only coz it was so perfect for the costume. I agree with the shop bought costumes being disallowed to enter the actual competition but maybe if they were atleast allowed to enter as display only just so people can see the variety of costumes.

So basically better promotion of the event AT the event needs to happen. Not everyone is part of the forum or know it exists.

There needs to be maybe a flyer (leaflet) for the event. On the back detailing the rules and the awards available.

Then I think on the Saturday a competition for Single Entries should be held and then on the Sunday open it to Groups? (Thoughts?)

I think there needs to be more promotion definately. There are loads of people that are in the centre dressed in costume. However, because they either feel discouraged (because their costumes look too professional) or because they don't know anything about the competition they don't enter at all.

There are some AMAZING cosplayers out there that come to these events and I would like to see them actively involved in these events.

I understand that you can't have the event it self happen IN the throng of the event for the reasons stated above. But where it was at C12 was perfect. It was a popular avenue for people not involved in CM to walk past, and it was near the event it self so you could actually see it happening from by the stalls. That's what the event needs.

Then I think on the Saturday a competition for Single Entries should be held and then on the Sunday open it to Groups? (Thoughts?)

The only problem with that is the fact that some people (like myself and some of my other cosplaying friends) come on one day during the weekend, just because that's the only day they can make it due to various outside factors. The problem with having a 'group day' and a 'single day', is what if a single cosplayer can only make it on a 'group day' and vice versa? Will they not be able to enter?

This format also relies on there being a significant number of groups and single cosplayers to sustain a whole show, and from what I've seen from attendance at cons in general, it's never predictable as to how many of either format will turn up.

There are loads of people that are in the centre dressed in costume. However, because they either feel discouraged (because their costumes look too professional) or because they don't know anything about the competition they don't enter at all.

Myself and a couple of my friends have worked really hard on our costumes, and we would have loved to have joined in the event, it's just that we had entered a Collectormania event with our costumes before, meaning we could not enter them again. I understand the use of this rule for other conventions with larger competitions, but for Collectormania events (which inevitably have a smaller turn-out for cosplay) maybe the rule should disqualify only those that have won something in a previous competition from entering again. I know that if this was the case, there would definitely have been more interest in the event, as more people would have been able to enter.

The only problem with that is the fact that some people (like myself and some of my other cosplaying friends) come on one day during the weekend, just because that's the only day they can make it due to various outside factors. The problem with having a 'group day' and a 'single day', is what if a single cosplayer can only make it on a 'group day' and vice versa? Will they not be able to enter?

This format also relies on there being a significant number of groups and single cosplayers to sustain a whole show, and from what I've seen from attendance at cons in general, it's never predictable as to how many of either format will turn up.

Yes there is that issue, I'm just not sure if having two different times in the same day would work that's why I suggested it.

I mean 1pm for individuals and 3pm for groups. If this event actually finally gets off the ground there might not actually be time in the day to do it! Having groups in with individual entries does make prize giving hard and a little unfair...

As Peter Kay once said: "How do they split a fitted kitchen?"

Myself and a couple of my friends have worked really hard on our costumes, and we would have loved to have joined in the event, it's just that we had entered a Collectormania event with our costumes before, meaning we could not enter them again. I understand the use of this rule for other conventions with larger competitions, but for Collectormania events (which inevitably have a smaller turn-out for cosplay) maybe the rule should disqualify only those that have won something in a previous competition from entering again. I know that if this was the case, there would definitely have been more interest in the event, as more people would have been able to enter.

That rule is a bit of a crap one. And really thins down ANY sort of competition what-so-ever. I agree with you (with a small addition), if you have won previously with that costume then you shouldn't be able to enter. If you ban one person from entering full stop just because they won with ONE costume a while ago then you're kicking yourself in the teeth and filtering out slowly all the well made and half decent costumes that are out there. The one's that are actually making people come see the costume competition in the first place.

It's just bad planning on their part there. So because I entered Dorothy and won a prize at C12, that means I can't enter any more costumes at all? Ever? No, I'm sorry, that rule is completely un-thought out.

I think if you have entered previously with a certain costume, you can't enter that one again, but you can any others.

But still, it is a rubbish rule. You should just not be allowed to enter the costume if you have won in a previous competition.

I agree it does narrow down the entries.

And promotion is a big issue. I thing Showmasters cosplay actually needs a new forum.

I'm sure a few of us would be more than glad to get one started, and to try and get it promoted a bit better.

It definately needs more structure as a community. And if it was promoted well it would probably have a wider audience than it already has at the moment. You might find if it had a better reputation people who don't go to the conventions might just turn up to do costumes.

Cosplay is all about performing as well.

It definately needs more structure as a community. And if it was promoted well it would probably have a wider audience than it already has at the moment. You might find if it had a better reputation people who don't go to the conventions might just turn up to do costumes.

Cosplay is all about performing as well.

Definitely.

Not everone wants to make it a performance, but some people do.

I think a costume forum is a good idea. I know a lot of people that I could convince to join, and make more people aware of it.

Whoa, hold up a sec, you guys read what Selph said wrong. ^^;

I discussed this with Selph on the day, what she meant was that:

She entered Mrs Lovett at Collectormania Manchester, however she didn't win a prize.

She went to Collectormania Milton Keynes as Mrs Lovett, however was not allowed to enter the cosplay competition because she had previously entered that costume

She would've liked to enter again because she hadn't won something with that costume, but was not allowed. Had she come to the event in a different costume she hadn't entered, she would've been allowed to enter.

One of my friends has entered two cosplay competitions at Collectormania and has won twice, so we're not saying that you can't enter ever again if you win once, we're just saying that if you don't win with a certain cosplay, you should be allowed to enter with said cosplay until it wins something, then it shouldn't be allowed again, not the cosplayer shouldn't be allowed to enter again when they win.

I hope that made sense xD

It seems you can only enter one cosplay once unless you have made significant changes to the costume that can be seen. For example I asked Jackie if I changed the shirt, pants, boots and possibly the wand for Tonks could I enter again and she said yes as long as I had the proof of the changes. But on another note if I make an entirely different Tonks costume then I can enter that once. The same with my Draco Malfoy, if I enter him in school robes and then at some point wear the Yule Ball costume I can enter again as Draco.

Tho personally I would love to keep entering in my Tonks costume until I actually win something. But nevermind which ever works really.

I know what you mean LotR I was discussing this with Emma in the car all the way back from Milton Keynes. We actually sat in one service station for about 20 mins discussing it. As far as I understand the rule that you can only enter it once is one that has been used at all costume comps even at other conventions.

I'm guessing it's also to stop "one trick ponies".

People who will just enter the one costume over and over again.

It's a round-a-bout way of promoting creativeness.