John Cena Badly Injured

AJ Jones

On RAW last night (01/10/07) during his match with Mr.Kennedy, John Cena is thought to have torn his right pectoral muscle. he is seen in great discomfort during the match and is seeing Dr. Andrews in Alabama today (02-10-07) to determine how bad it is. Edge had the same injury in July and is only back next month. The minimum recovery for a torn pectoral muscle is 4 months.

It is indeed possible that Cena may miss No Mercy.

More updates to come in the coming days.

• Moderators
WWE Champion John Cena has suffered a complete tear of his right pectoral tendon and is heading into surgery, according to noted orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews. Because of the seriousness of the injury, WWE officials will not allow Cena to compete this Sunday at No Mercy, and he will have no choice but to surrender the title.

Dr. Andrews said Cena could miss between six and eight months of action. Cena was injured during his match Monday night on Raw with Mr. Kennedy. Before visiting Dr. Andrews, Cena had said, “No matter how serious, the injury, one way or another I’ll be ready to compete on Sunday.â€

But despite Cena’s vow, WWE officials will not allow him to compete at No Mercy. Therefore, he must surrender the WWE Championship.

WWE officials vow that there will be a WWE Championship Match this Sunday at No Mercy and a new WWE Champion will be crowned.

Stay with WWE.com for further updates on Cena’s condition and on No Mercy as they become available.

Confirmed now obviously ..

Intriguing to see who faces Orton...but it could be a blessing in disguise for Cena. The booing was down to his long title reign, so this gives his character some breathing room so that he doesn't become stale.

Edited by AJ Jones

In another press release regarding Cena, he is confirmed for No Mercy in a non action role. This will more than likely be at the start of the show for him to give up his title. Expect a possible run in or inteference from him or Cena Sr to make sure Orton doesn't get the title. New favourite for the belt if Kennedy.

I am going with Orton, as in many ways this injury has just increased his heel level, as he is not getting it from a match

Mainly because he has either been placed in pointless Legend Killer matches against veteran opposition like Rhodes and Slaughter, or he has been up against Mr 5 Moves Only John Cena. If they have any sense they will have Kennedy in the title match and win it, and thus p*ss off Orton more in the storyline. Cyber Sunday was due to have a gimmick match between Orton and Cena in Hell IN A Cell, one I can't remember and one to be named. I think Kennedy can get over as a Face with his promos. I just hope that the WWE take this chance ot bring some respect to the title as Cena's year plus reign has tainted it - thus, the boos for a face.

i like cena. No matter what the 'herd' tohught, i thought it was good to have a long title reign for a while. There was a stage where it was changing hands every ppv but dont forget Austin's runs where he would only lose it for 24 hours at a time. Anyway, for Cena, it sucks, but he pushed himself probably a bit too hard but for the good of the company. After they lost Batista, Edge, Rey and Triple H this year (not to mention countless others in various different ways), at least he hung on there to get them all (nearly) back through the door!

It is the best thing for him though as he come back like HHH does every time and start off slow before jumping back in the title race. Gives him time to build up the character again.

btw..... Give the title to Triple H, you know its right!! :D:YAHOO:

• Moderators

Giving the belt to HHH at this point wouldn't give the belt and main event scene any 'cred' at all to be fair.

The guy has been back for a very short while, and he'd make everyone look like an idiot if he could just come back and win the belt just like that. Plus he's not been built up to get back into the main event title picture yet.

There's no real logical reason for putting the belt back on him, especially considering the feud he's got with Vince etc.

No fair enough but a feud between Orton and Triple H is easy as Vince has already aligned himself with Orton in the past so give Randy the belt sunday and build to a trips v orton survivor series main event!

At least i would be interested in that unlike the punjabi treehouse match. :thumbup:

Edited by s.p.d.

No fair enough but a feud between Orton and Triple H is easy as Vince has already aligned himself with Orton in the past so give Randy the belt sunday and build to a trips v orton survivor series main event!

At least i would be interested in that unlike the punjabi treehouse match. :thumbup:

That is the way I am hoping they are going. :thumbup:

he is now out for 6-12 months

This was Vince's spin on what Dr James Andrews said. The original on storyline time was 4-8 months, but expect him to be back on TV by the New Year one way or another. The torn pec is the same as Edge's, and he is back in 4 months at Survivor Series.

In the long run, this will help his career longevity charcater wise.

The title reign length hurt him, and I say that as someone mentioned Stone Cold. But let us be realistic, Cena cannot touch Austin for charisma, promos and intensity in the ring. Cena is good, but Austin is in a league of own for in ring presence.

Here are my thoughts for what they are worth.

Firstly I think it’s a real shame when anyone is injured for any length of time, be it main event star like Cena or jobber to the stars like Funaki. No one should wish that on anybody.

In my opinion the torn crowd had nothing to do with the length of Cena’s title reign, their boo’s started fairly soon after he went to Raw which was a fair while back now. I think the boo’s are a mixture of things. Pure wrestling fans don’t like the fact John isn’t a technical wrestler like Bret Hart for example and are insulted by his more limited move set. I also think there is a jealousy from the guys as it is mostly them that boo him due to the fact he has a large female fan base. I also find that a lot of boo’s are from people just following the crowds, I asked one guy at a live event why he doesn’t like Cena and why he boo’s him and he said, “coz its cool to do itâ€. Great reason….

Cena works harder for WWE than pretty much anyone on the roster, does all sorts of promotion appearances aswel as wrestles very regularly and most of the better matches of this year have been his. Raw match with HBK that went and hour, his last man standing match with Umaga, hell he even got a decent enough match out of Khali and no one would have thought that possible! I do think he gets a bad rap.

I don’t think anyone is comparing him to Stone Cold, its not a fair comparison for a start but I agree that its good to have someone carry the title for a long time because in the Austin era the belt seemed to change hand quite regularly and that has been the same up until recently. Had it been Undertaker carrying the belt for a year no one would have turned on him and complained he was stale. People just like to knock Cena.

On the plus side I think that when Cena comes back in 6/12 months he’ll receive a heroes welcome, kinda like when HHH came back from his first quad injury, he left as the mother of all heels and came back as everyones favourite. Again, im not comparing the two so all you HHH lovers don’t bitch, im just comparing the situations.

So yeah, im sad to see Cena go, because im a fan of his work and work ethic but im genuinely interested in seeing No Mercy this weekend. My hope…..

Y2J saves us.

I better do some work.. :wub:

Here are my thoughts for what they are worth.

Firstly I think it’s a real shame when anyone is injured for any length of time, be it main event star like Cena or jobber to the stars like Funaki. No one should wish that on anybody.

Very true. I wouldn't wish physical pain and siffering on anyone, let alone someone I have only seen on TV or at live events.

In my opinion the torn crowd had nothing to do with the length of Cena’s title reign, their boo’s started fairly soon after he went to Raw which was a fair while back now.

The title reign has damaged his recent tenure as fans of other wrestlers are disconcerted that their favourites work hard in the ring, but do not get given the chance with the belt. The booking of matches for Cena has been questionable at times, but that is down to the booking team.

I think the boo’s are a mixture of things. Pure wrestling fans don’t like the fact John isn’t a technical wrestler like Bret Hart for example and are insulted by his more limited move set. I also think there is a jealousy from the guys as it is mostly them that boo him due to the fact he has a large female fan base.

The irony here is that alot of posters on here and other wrestling forums disliked TNA, but not liek it because Jimmy Rave turned up...the male boos also increased as Cena got physically bigger. So, yes, jealousy from the guys who want his body as theirs and hate the fact that he gets the female attention.

I also find that a lot of boo’s are from people just following the crowds, I asked one guy at a live event why he doesn’t like Cena and why he boo’s him and he said, “coz its cool to do itâ€. Great reason….

There are far too many lemmings who would jump off a cliff if told it was cool to do. I wish people would grow a set and cheer/boo who they want to. After all, I wonder how they act when watching TV?

Cena works harder for WWE than pretty much anyone on the roster, does all sorts of promotion appearances as well.

He is a hard worker, and definitely in the top tier of on/off screen employees. But , there are people who work as hard as John Cena does. He is just fortunate enough to get the TV exposure for it.

He wrestles very regularly and most of the better matches of this year have been his. Raw match with HBK that went and hour, his last man standing match with Umaga, hell he even got a decent enough match out of Khali and no one would have thought that possible! I do think he gets a bad rap.

John has had to wrestle regularly due to lack of top tier talent fit to do so. There are better performers, but Cena is probably the most consistent of the last 12 months.

I don’t think anyone is comparing him to Stone Cold, it's not a fair comparison for a start but I agree that its good to have someone carry the title for a long time because in the Austin era the belt seemed to change hand quite regularly and that has been the same up until recently.

Cena's biggest negative was handed to him by the creative team when they tried to turn him into the new Stone Cold with the attitude, cut off jeans and t-shirt etc. Cena has ran with it, but he will always be compared to Stone Cold.

Had it been Undertaker carrying the belt for a year no one would have turned on him and complained he was stale. People just like to knock Cena.

Give it a few years and they will move on to someone else. The Taker is a unique character, and at the moment it is Cena's time to be knocked. Wrong, but life I am afraid.

On the plus side I think that when Cena comes back in 6/12 months he’ll receive a heroes welcome, kinda like when HHH came back from his first quad injury, he left as the mother of all heels and came back as everyones favourite. Again, im not comparing the two so all you HHH lovers don’t bitch, im just comparing the situations.

I think they will build him up big time. If they do not, they must be mad.

So yeah, im sad to see Cena go, because im a fan of his work and work ethic but im genuinely interested in seeing No Mercy this weekend. My hope…..

Y2J saves us.

I better do some work.. :D

My comments are in bold

Edited by AJ Jones

i just watched RAW from Monday and you can see where Cena hurts himself and ive gotta say, he is one tough son of a bitch. He carried on through the whole match and all that stuff with Orton afterwards.... Cena does it again.

It makes me think whether there was much of a conversation between Orton and the Ref. You can see the Ref shouting at Orton for the RKO, but you do not know whether it is for the angle or to tell him that Cena was genuinely injured.

The irony is that the WWE.Com website are insinuating that Orton injured Cena, but there is a video on the same website of Dr James Andrews explaining where Cena injured himself during the match with Kennedy.

Mind you, as regards Cena being tough for carrying on, I still remember when Austin had his neck damaged by Owen Hart when his body slipped down during a sit down pile driver. Now, that is an "Ouch, I can't believe you carried on!" moment.

you want ANOTHER tough for carrying on moment... after HHH's first quad tear he still had Jericho put him in the Walls... it was sick.

i just think with the amount Cena does, like wrestling through an injury like that, its sad that ppl STILL give him a hard time. I know you can cheer and boo who you want but booing is one thing, down right hatred is another.

you want ANOTHER tough for carrying on moment... after HHH's first quad tear he still had Jericho put him in the Walls... it was sick.

i just think with the amount Cena does, like wrestling through an injury like that, its sad that ppl STILL give him a hard time. I know you can cheer and boo who you want but booing is one thing, down right hatred is another.

Both times that Trip's quads went he finished the matches.

I remember when HBK landed his lower back on the edge of the crasly designed coffin versus Taker at the Royal Rumble if memory serves me. That is what nearly ended his career.

How about when Cactus Jack had his ear ripped off, or was powerbombed on the concrete floor - but then again, Mick Foley is a crazy b@stard.

Re: Cena - the people who boo fit into two groups in my opinion:

Group 1 - The sheep, as you have also mentioned, who boo him because others do.

Group 2 - The haters who are jealous of his body because they are fat, overweight and self haters. So, they divert their shortcomings onto him. Hey, I am fat and overweight, but I don't hate the character we see on TV or the man behind it. I hate the writers who have tried to turn him into the next Stone Cold - something that is stupid due to Stone Cold being unique and unrepeatable. They should let Cena run with Cena, as they did with Austin, when he comes back from injury. There was rumour that they wanted Trips to go Heel when he came back, but he used his sway to stay as he is now...a fan favourite who does what he wants to who he wants (Kendrick and London as examples).

Group 2 - The haters who are jealous of his body because they are fat, overweight and self haters. So, they divert their shortcomings onto him. Hey, I am fat and overweight, but I don't hate the character we see on TV or the man behind it. I hate the writers who have tried to turn him into the next Stone Cold - something that is stupid due to Stone Cold being unique and unrepeatable. They should let Cena run with Cena, as they did with Austin, when he comes back from injury. There was rumour that they wanted Trips to go Heel when he came back, but he used his sway to stay as he is now...a fan favourite who does what he wants to who he wants (Kendrick and London as examples).

I think you're missing the fact that many people (myself included) dislike him because he's held the WWE Title for a significant portion of the last 2/3 years. B):dance:

I think you're missing the fact that many people (myself included) dislike him because he's held the WWE Title for a significant portion of the last 2/3 years. B):dance:

thing is, many years ago it was rare that a wrestler didnt hold the belt for an extended period of time, hogan was champ forever! from what i understand there is a lot of pressure on being the champ and kinda carrying the company, Eddie admitted he was happy to drop the title coz he couldnt handle that pressure at the time. Cena was very reliable and very happy to do all the promo that came along with it. He was also the biggest draw too, half the ppl bought ppv's to see him retain the belt and the other half bought ppv's in hope someone would beat him for it. Its good business really...

The other thing is i think if someone holds a belt for a long time it makes the belt worth something, it gives it prestige. that is my opinion on it anyway...

I think that you are missing the glaring fact that I have already posted several times that the length of his tenure as WWE Champion has hurt his character's popularity. Myself and Snot182 have been discussing it deeper. So, I would be eternally grateful if you could at least get the facts straight when you quote me.

Many thanks LC.

Wil

P.S. And by the way, by disliking him because he has held the WWE Title for so long over the past 2/3 years, I take it that you dislike the writers, creative team and VKM for deciding to keep the belt on him due to injuries, suspensions etc etc ? Just thought I would make sure it is a fair dislike whilst aportioning blame to all parties concerned.

The other thing is i think if someone holds a belt for a long time it makes the belt worth something, it gives it prestige. that is my opinion on it anyway...

I hate to think what LC would think of Bruno Sammartino who held the title belt from May 17,1963 until January 18, 1971, and again between December 10, 1973 until April 30, 1977.

God only knows how booed he would be these days.

Wil

it does make me wonder what the reaction Hogan would get now days if he was new like in the 80's and 90's. I mean, he turns up now and gets a heroes welcome but he was and is far far more limited than John Cena ever could be and dominated the title more aswell and that was partly down to his power on the writing staff as oppose to Cena just being put into that position without politics