Catherine Tate full time companion on who next year!

Fader

My 5 year old son will be over the moon when the new series aires with Catherine Tate. He loves Donna! :poki:

He gets disappointed when its an episode with Martha thats on - No Billie Mummy? No Donna? Just Martha? Oh well.

He's always asking if he can watch Donna - The Runaway Bride!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more I think about the character of Donna being in a full season, the more I start to fear that I will not like the new series. I never liked the Runaway Bride much, but I will give her a whirl in the new year.

Edited by AJ Jones

Donna is the new Tegan. That's all.

Anything Tegan did, Donna will do.

And then some more stuff on top of that.

It is not a case who she may be like, I just do not personally think that she will have an on screen chemistry with David Tennant that I will like. I ma not alone either. But, as I have said before, I will give her a chance to prove me wrong.

Edited by AJ Jones

Dr Who went down hill when Martha took over from Rose. Now that Catherine Tate is to be become the companion, I think I'll give it a miss. I did not like her character in the Christmas special...

I am, however looking forward to this year's Christmas Special with Kylie.

I think that it was a good ending when Rose was written out, and a good introduction when Martha was introduced. When Rose was introduced, it was only towards the end of her first series that she settled in. I think that it was wrong to move Martha to Torchwood so quickly, let alone replace her with a character that I personally, and a number of long term Whovians, think will not gel well. She is a one hit wonder at best as a character.

Removing Rose was vital. She became irritatingly worshipful of the Doctor, and had all of those incredibly annoying daddy issues.

Martha's introduction was good, until she made the mistake of falling in love with him.

I love her as a character, but the whole Doctor love thing just made me want to smack her...

Donna, however, seems to hold promise for breaking the chain of 'I love you Doctor!' companions.

Which will be wonderful.

Give the woman a chance, please.

And also, please remember that many people do like Donna, as she makes a refreshing change from three years of Doctor adoration.

Edited by Haruka

As I have said several times, I am going to give Catherine Tate a chance. It was the same as with Billie Piper to a certain degree. However, I am basing my personal tastes on The Runaway Bride.

As I have also said, Rose's departure was well done and at the right time. Her issues were quite representative of a modern day girl her age and her feelings for an older (much older in this case) msn.

Martha's introduction and subsequent falling in love with the Doctor was once again a true reflection of how people, not just women, who fall in love with someone. It wasn't just anothe girl falling for the Doctor as the Doctor was shown to accept his feelings for Rose.

I have never said that no one likes the character of Donna, as many have voiced their opinion on here including yourself. I have never said that it won't appeal to anyone else because I do not like her character. I think I do not speak for the millions who watch this great show. Also, there is a poster who disliked Martha's intorduction as well. If you frequent message forums, and have done for some time, you will know that this type of messaging went on for the introductions for Rose and Martha, yet both have gone on to be firm favourites. I am sure that Donna will forge her own legacy in Doctor Who, but I go in to this series with great trepadations that it won't work - something that happened with Billie Piper's Rose! So, it is more than likely that come next year I will be singing Donna's praises. But, at the minute I am not.

Roll on next year on the new series.

By the way, I will remind you of your words if Donna falls in love with the Doctor :blush::poki:

As I have also said, Rose's departure was well done and at the right time. Her issues were quite representative of a modern day girl her age

Daddy issues are normal amongst late teen girls?

...When did this happen, and why was I not informed?

Martha's introduction and subsequent falling in love with the Doctor was once again a true reflection of how people, not just women, who fall in love with someone. It wasn't just anothe girl falling for the Doctor as the Doctor was shown to accept his feelings for Rose.

But, to be honest, would normal women fall in love with the Doctor?

As Clive said, way back in Rose, his true companion is death. That'd put most people right off.

And speaking of Rose, I found the way that the Doctor kept talking about her rather... irritating.

Especially "Rose would know what to do" in The Shakespeare Code.

By the way, I will remind you of your words if Donna falls in love with the Doctor :poki::poki:

I said 'holds promise', not 'won't fall in love'.

Two different terms entirely.

So, you've got no right to poke me if she does. :P

As I have also said, Rose's departure was well done and at the right time. Her issues were quite representative of a modern day girl her age

Daddy issues are normal amongst late teen girls?

...When did this happen, and why was I not informed?

But, to be honest, would normal women fall in love with the Doctor?

As Clive said, way back in Rose, his true companion is death. That'd put most people right off.

And speaking of Rose, I found the way that the Doctor kept talking about her rather... irritating.

Especially "Rose would know what to do" in The Shakespeare Code.

By the way, I will remind you of your words if Donna falls in love with the Doctor :dance::YAHOO:

I said 'holds promise', not 'won't fall in love'.

Two different terms entirely.

So, you've got no right to poke me if she does. :dance:

Re: Daddy Issues and you not being informed - I said that it was QUITE REPRESENTATIVE..this does not mean 100% of late teen girls have daddy issues. If I meant 100% then I would have said TOTALLY REPRESENTATIVE.

Re: You asking if normal women would fall in love with The Doctor. What is NORMAL? I know of a lot of my female Whovian friends who adore The Doctor rather than David Tennant himself. What you found irritatiing when he kept referring to Rose, some would say it was sweet. To me, and maybe others, it just represents how SOME people struggle to get over former or lost loves.

Re: His true companion being death - remember that this is a fictional show..but everyone has a demon or two to deal with. My number one demon scares the cr*p out of a lot of people close to me, but they realise that it is part of me.

Re: Holds Promise / Won't fall in love - I never said that you posted that she wouldn't fall in love with the Doctor. With the addition of the :YAHOO: it was meant very tongue in cheek.

In closing: everyone has many different personal tastes, and ours differ when it comes to Whovian Companions. Let us see what our reactions are at the end of Season 4.

Re: Daddy Issues and you not being informed - I said that it was QUITE REPRESENTATIVE..this does not mean 100% of late teen girls have daddy issues. If I meant 100% then I would have said TOTALLY REPRESENTATIVE.

I realise that.

I was being sarcastic... but I evidently forgot the smilie.

Whoops.

Re: You asking if normal women would fall in love with The Doctor. What is NORMAL? I know of a lot of my female Whovian friends who adore The Doctor rather than David Tennant himself.

'Normal' is hard to define.

Someone like Donna, I suppose. Donna, by the end of The Runaway Bride is actually scared of the Doctor, rather than adoring him.

What you found irritatiing when he kept referring to Rose, some would say it was sweet. To me, and maybe others, it just represents how SOME people struggle to get over former or lost loves.

However, The Shakespeare Code's "Rose would know what to do" was rather irritating, simply because Rose probably wouldn't know what to do in that situation.

The Doctor likes to idealise her in front of Martha, it'd seem. *nods*

Re: His true companion being death - remember that this is a fictional show..but everyone has a demon or two to deal with. My number one demon scares the cr*p out of a lot of people close to me, but they realise that it is part of me.

Death isn't a part of the Doctor though, it's just something that... happens to follow him.

He's unlucky like that.

In closing: everyone has many different personal tastes, and ours differ when it comes to Whovian Companions. Let us see what our reactions are at the end of Season 4.

This is very true.

Though, I'm more of a fan of Romana (Mary Tamm and Lalla Ward) than the new series companions... Time Ladies for the win! =D

Edited by Haruka

Removing Rose was vital. She became irritatingly worshipful of the Doctor, and had all of those incredibly annoying daddy issues.

Martha's introduction was good, until she made the mistake of falling in love with him.

I love her as a character, but the whole Doctor love thing just made me want to smack her...

Donna, however, seems to hold promise for breaking the chain of 'I love you Doctor!' companions.

Which will be wonderful.

Give the woman a chance, please.

And also, please remember that many people do like Donna, as she makes a refreshing change from three years of Doctor adoration.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! :crying:

If we have yet another companion going all moon-eyed and gooey over him I shall :dance:

...Although apparently, I've heard talk that Billie Piper is in talks to reprise her role as Rose - which I think is ridiculous as for me the show's moved on too far now for her to come back.

Besides, the show is called Doctor Who and not Doctor Who and Rose Tyler or The Rose Tyler Show. :angel:

If we have yet another companion going all moon-eyed and gooey over him I shall :whistling:

I'm tempted to agree with you there.

It's getting ridiculous.

And if Rose returns, I'm going to be rather irritated, to put it mildly.

As you said, the show's title is Doctor Who.

Not The Doctor and [insert companion here] run around and are in love for forty-five minutes.

There's a big difference, which RTD seems to miss.

Someone shoot Mr Davies, please.

That is ridiculous.

To quote someone from another forum.

Do you remember the good old days when companions left the Doctor to lead normal lives having been enhanced by their experience of travelling with the Doctor? This allowed the programme to move on... Occasionally, you'd have a little celebration story where these characters returned and you had a nice nod to the past.

If Rose does return, I think it'll be the start of the show going round and round in circles.

And I'm pretty sure nobody wants that.

Billie Piper is not returning to the episodic show in any form whatsoever. So, stop painting all gloom and doom for something that hasn't even been hinted at or you will have a nervous breakdown :smile:

The rumour, and that is all it is at the moment, is that a proposed big screen film will POSSIBLY include the return of her character Rose Tyler. There are also proposals/rumours for the return of several characters in cameo appearances. Piper herself has said that she wanted a long break from the weekly episodic format as it tired her out and she wants to have children. That is why all of her work since then has been in a film format or one of specials/mini series.

So, breath deeply as your foe is not returning :YAHOO: . Well, not on the small screen,

Billie Piper is not returning to the episodic show in any form whatsoever. So, stop painting all gloom and doom for something that hasn't even been hinted at or you will have a nervous breakdown :D

This isn't 'gloom and doom'.

This is thinking what could happen if she did return to Doctor Who, on the big-screen or the little-screen.

So, breath deeply as your foe is not returning

Whatever gave you the idea that Rose is a 'foe' to me, or indeed others?

I just happen to prefer other companions to Miss Tyler, that's all.

Billie Piper is not returning to the episodic show in any form whatsoever. So, stop painting all gloom and doom for something that hasn't even been hinted at or you will have a nervous breakdown :D<<<<<The big clue that I was joking

This isn't 'gloom and doom'.

This is thinking what could happen if she did return to Doctor Who, on the big-screen or the little-screen.

So, breath deeply as your foe is not returning
<<< How you quoted it

So, breath deeply as your foe is not returning :o Well, not on the small screen
<<<How it was originally posted

Whatever gave you the idea that Rose is a 'foe' to me, or indeed others?

I just happen to prefer other companions to Miss Tyler, that's all.

With the inclusion of the :blink: I thought, just maybe, that you would see that I was having a laugh. You need to lighten up a little, although I am sure you will come back with something saying that you are, as forums on the internet can often turn into arguments through misunderstandings. In the C12 forum someone couldn't take a joke after setting themselves up for one and then continued to make it worse.

I am a guy with alot of life experience. I am not some immature kid on here creating havoc, or taking the p*ss. You need to read the messages and see what is typed, otherwise you will do what you have just done and quote it out of context and make it into something that it plainly isn't. I am a fun loving guy on here to chat and have fun, as I am sure you are on here to have fun.

So, I am through discussing this as I have the feeling you just won't have a fun and friendly chat/exchange of messages. You enjoy what you want to and I will enjoy what I want to. Oh, and by the way, companions are merely just another part of a great show to me. I have no love for, who dislike for the character of Rose Tyler. Until David Tennant came along as the Doctor, I liked the show as a whole. I guess now I have found my favourite Doctor...if that is ok? :wub:<<<< Trying to have fun!!!

By the way, I am in no way attacking your maturity, age or anything else about you. The only thing that has miffed me is the fact that you have not read my messages as they are typed, but as you have wanted to see them. Just so you know.

Edited by AJ Jones

It's just that that paticular smilie doesn't indicate joking, to be entirely honest.

It's a sort of... jubilant dance thing. Which doesn't really say 'I'm joking!', it more says 'look at me dance!'

Meh.

*goes off to watch the Key to Time*

It's just that that paticular smilie doesn't indicate joking, to be entirely honest.

It's a sort of... jubilant dance thing. Which doesn't really say 'I'm joking!', it more says 'look at me dance!'

Meh.

*goes off to watch the Key to Time*

Against my previous pledge of not continuing this exchange, I have to say one thing that is glaringly obvious to myself from your posts/replies. You are someone who cannot, in any situation, no matter how obvious it is, admit that they may have been wrong. You always have to come back with a reply that attacks or diverts away from your shortcomings. At least I can admit when something I have posted may be seen as something other than what I posted it as.

Ho hum. Football is on. Toodles. Have a good time watching Key to Time.

Wil