DEEP ROY

flinty

met deep roy yesterday amongst others who i found all to be very pleasant just a slight thing that i would have benefitted from (i'm sure a few others would have also)deep was down as playing yoda and droopy mccool from star wars series but upon speaking to him i found out he had also played a jawa and an ewok and i heard someone else mention he had also done some work for r2d2 any chance in future we could somehow find out exactly what parts were played by various signers as i tend to get a few items signed on every charcter they had played and it is really hard trying to find things at the event to get signed but if we knew in advance it would make it a lot easier but on the whole a great day

met deep roy yesterday amongst others who i found all to be very pleasant just a slight thing that i would have benefitted from (i'm sure a few others would have also)deep was down as playing yoda and droopy mccool from star wars series but upon speaking to him i found out he had also played a jawa and an ewok and i heard someone else mention he had also done some work for r2d2 any chance in future we could somehow find out exactly what parts were played by various signers as i tend to get a few items signed on every charcter they had played and it is really hard trying to find things at the event to get signed but if we knew in advance it would make it a lot easier but on the whole a great day

no disrespect, as it is a fair point, but it would be alot easier to read with some full stops or something. :P

IMDB is a good website for this - Deep Roy for example is listed here

Now - in case it's too hard work to do the research, Showmasters quite often provide links to this site for that exact reason when they list who will be attending.

I thought I'd checked the imdb listing and only saw Deep Roy as a voice in a SW video game...

Just spotted he was in Flash Gordon, as Princess Aura's pet.... What a job, having to be tied up to Ornella Muti... and getting paid for it! I might have got my 1-sheet signed if I'd known!

imdb is obviously not that good as there is no mention of Deep having played Yoda in the Empire Strikes Back let alone any mention of further parts in Return of the Jedi! - and we have seen the photographic proof of that role!

Personally I think it is best to ask the actor direct as they are normally aware of the roles they have played and, as we have no access to them prior to the show, the only people that can ask this of them and post the information is Showmasters.

I agree with flinty that it is very frustrating to come to a show prepared with everything you want signed, based on the information provided, only to find that the actor in question had further roles for which you are totally unprepared

Oh come on! Expecting Showmasters to give a more in depth analysis of each guest's repertoire than the imdb? Bearing in mind how many tv shows/films, even plays some of these guys have done.. you could be talking a single page per person, plus bearing in mind the different markets, a guy could have done plenty of US/non UK tv shows that we'd never heard of, or called different names.

SM's job is hard enough trying to get the guys, how much more work are you trying to pile on by suggesting they add every film/show they played an extra in? Lance Hendrikksen (sp?) is in Close Encounters. It's over in a blink. But he's better known for Millenium/Aliens etc. Deep Roy would be better known at present for being every oompah lumpah in Burton's Charlie, not for some character in the cantina band in Jabbas Palace.

Oh come on! Expecting Showmasters to give a more in depth analysis of each guest's repertoire than the imdb? Bearing in mind how many tv shows/films, even plays some of these guys have done.. you could be talking a single page per person, plus bearing in mind the different markets, a guy could have done plenty of US/non UK tv shows that we'd never heard of, or called different names.

SM's job is hard enough trying to get the guys, how much more work are you trying to pile on by suggesting they add every film/show they played an extra in? Lance Hendrikksen (sp?) is in Close Encounters. It's over in a blink. But he's better known for Millenium/Aliens etc. Deep Roy would be better known at present for being every oompah lumpah in Burton's Charlie, not for some character in the cantina band in Jabbas Palace.

i have to strongly disagree with this i'm not after every part he played in every film just star wars jason himself is a star wars fanatic and tries his upmost to get the unusual/unknown actors or characters. who cares about the stuff you mention star wars obviously has a much bigger following then millenium etc he has access to images and he'd earn more money so it's in his interest and would certainly help fellow collectors out :thumbup:

i have to strongly disagree with this i'm not after every part he played in every film just star wars jason himself is a star wars fanatic and tries his upmost to get the unusual/unknown actors or characters. who cares about the stuff you mention star wars obviously has a much bigger following then millenium etc he has access to images and he'd earn more money so it's in his interest and would certainly help fellow collectors out :thumbup:

i think it's up to the indivdual to research a guest they want to see and decide if they want to take particular things to the event. Showmasters are not your mother! We are all capable of typing things into google and imdb. If you're not then......

i think it's up to the indivdual to research a guest they want to see and decide if they want to take particular things to the event. Showmasters are not your mother! We are all capable of typing things into google and imdb. If you're not then......

don't you think i have tried?it's not a case of being lazy it's a case of the information not being available?show me a page where this information is available and i'll use it imdb is pretty poor when it comes to this.

i think it's up to the indivdual to research a guest they want to see and decide if they want to take particular things to the event.
I agree...the real fans would already know what the guest has been in.

i consider myself to be a real fan! show me a website where i states exactly who played what and i will use it.i'm sure this site does not exist!!!

don't you think i have tried?it's not a case of being lazy it's a case of the information not being available?show me a page where this information is available and i'll use it imdb is pretty poor when it comes to this.

i think it's up to the indivdual to research a guest they want to see and decide if they want to take particular things to the event.

i consider myself to be a real fan! show me a website where i states exactly who played what and i will use it.i'm sure this site does not exist!!!

if you cannot find a website - then how do you expect showmasters too? I don't think they have some special information that is only available to them. They provide the basics, and i think that is adequate - to go into greater depth i feel its up to the individual. I am no star wars expert, so i dont know where you'd find the information.

I've always turned to IMDB and it's never let me down, so perhaps these parts were so small that they were uncredited?

if you cannot find a website - then how do you expect showmasters too? I don't think they have some special information that is only available to them. They provide the basics, and i think that is adequate - to go into greater depth i feel its up to the individual. I am no star wars expert, so i dont know where you'd find the information.

I've always turned to IMDB and it's never let me down, so perhaps these parts were so small that they were uncredited?

these parts were small and uncredited thats the whole point!showmasters could just ask the actor or his agent they found out he was yoda that nobody knew?imdb is very poor when it comes to minor parts and a few bits on there are not even confirmed and some the actors even disagree with!!!

i have to strongly disagree with this i'm not after every part he played in every film just star wars jason himself is a star wars fanatic and tries his upmost to get the unusual/unknown actors or characters. who cares about the stuff you mention star wars obviously has a much bigger following then millenium etc he has access to images and he'd earn more money so it's in his interest and would certainly help fellow collectors out :blush:

and actually they do have special information that is only available to them the kurtz/joiner archives!!!

I guess Showmasters could ask when they book a guest - which is sadly something we are unable to do until the day and - oops - too late

The trouble is lots of roles are not credited and the only way to find out is from the guest themselves (especially Star Wars it seems - that guy Lucas certainly made sure he got value for money from his actors). I have not found a site that mentions that Deep Roy was a Jawa or an Ewok (and trust me I do look so as to be as completely prepared as possible)

Oh and as to a true fan knowing all of this information is Jason not a true fan then?

I dont think its up to them to do such indepth and extensive research on each guest - theres over 30 guests per show - that would take a huge amount of time. I'd rather they concentrated on booking more guests, photo shoots and people to have stalls at the show.

what is this special information then?

I dont think its up to them to do such indepth and extensive research on each guest - theres over 30 guests per show - that would take a huge amount of time. I'd rather they concentrated on booking more guests, photo shoots and people to have stalls at the show.

this special information is basically the complete ins and outs of star wars anh and the empire strikes compiled by gary kurtz they actually have more of and archive of information than george lucas!

you have put your opinion on what you would rather they concentrated on so am i not allowed mine?

this special information is basically the complete ins and outs of star wars anh and the empire strikes compiled by gary kurtz they actually have more of and archive of information than george lucas!

you have put your opinion on what you would rather they concentrated on so am i not allowed mine?

I dont remember saying you are not allowed to do anything no.

I'm sure if a large amount of people had similar concerns about guests bio and details, the the powers that be would look into it. Perhaps set up a poll or something. They can then judge if it's worth the extra time.

Sometimes actors and crew don't want to be credited on a film or go under a pseudonym.

But really if Deep Roy turns out to have a been a Yoda stand-in then that's nobody's fault that no one else but the film crew knew. For example, there are jobs on my own CV that I've left out.

Edited by nicky

Hang on there! One minute the imdb isn't good enough for listing an actor's parts, next minute you only want the 'big' 'important' bits the actor's been in.. Imdb is not a definitive list of everyone's career. It's only updated by fanboys and agents informing the programmers of new appearances. I'm sure there are tons of TV shows, that actors have done in India, Asia or Africa that aren't listed on the imdb.

Big deal the Deep Roy wasn't credited in the movie, in the imdb, or by SM as being a Yoda stand-in. Hold the Presses!

Oh the Stresses of learning that an actor was for a second on screen as Yoda... how would you know what screengrab to get signed...? How could you tell if it was Frank Oz's hand puppet, Deep Roy or animatronic in that scene?

Theres a name for folks who know every part of another persons life/career, and there's a section of the LAPD and the Met to combat them.

Whether or not the film is related to Star Wars, if it's not a big part in the person's career, it's not exactly SM's job to publicise it. You could call it a little surprise, or a benefit from the meeting, not a reason to go home and join Opus Dei to repent for not taking an 8*10 of the Dagoba sequence.