Idea For Virtual Queues

007paul007

Chris MK

Do you know anything about severe autism, Epilepsy and Irritable Bowel syndrome ? I hope you do know something about this and can advise me on how to keep the stress, unfornately for my son he cannot handle places with large amounts of people, so according to you I should take him and put him through the stress that can make things worse just to make VQ work for me ?

Do you know what it is like to get a carer on the weekend ? A nightmare, too many people will stress my eldest out and a change of routine also stress's him out, this is a common autistic trait. Stress can cause you to have a fit and if his IBS is on a bad day then he would not go far. Sorry my children are more of a priority than my hobby.

I also don't drive and using public transport during those busy days are a nightmare, yes I could do as you say, but I put my children first before first.

Thankyou for your kind very thoughtful comments.

So you'd like the VQ system to change, just because of the difficulties you have with your kids... some might say that's not very thoughtful of you...

So please explain why it's less convenient for you to be in the centre twice for a total of maybe 45 minutes, rather than once for several hours?

and leave the guilt trip at home please.

Sorry my children are more of a priority than my hobby
Isn' that your answer then, Paul? Surly as a parent you must realise that there are going to be certain things you can or, in your case, can't do? And I have to agree with Chirs_mk (as I have thought this from the start) that your reasons for wanting the change in the VQ system are, dare I say it and without any disrespect, selfish. And like I already pointed out in my previous post:
not everyone is in your situation with kids (esp on this forum which is prodominantly under 25's with no kids) let alone ones with special needs thus you are in the minority as harsh as it may seem.
Edited by nicky

Suz

What do you mean waiting around at the *****, I found I can get say all the signatures I need say around 8 at the last event within a couple of hours, so I don't know what you mean about hanging around for ages as they don't have the VQ there.

I know, it's quite easy to get round there in a few hours or less, which is a real annoyance if you've travelled quite far and aren't up for a long train ride back straight away (I speak from experience lol). :smile:

What I meant was that's it's easier to have a nice, non-rushed day strolling round the compact MK centre with plenty to do if you're waiting long (which is very possible with the popular guests), rather than to get fed up with stalls and have to leave early because you can't get everything done on time or you're bored. That's why long VQ tickets aren't a prob. for me as I find there's lots to do. Obviously waiting isn't ideal in your situation, but I'm afraid it's not much hassle for me and as someone on a permanent budget at these events, I would not pay a bit extra for someone just to see them sooner.

Nicky

Firstly there are already many things that I can and cannot do, I have accepted. I can't do many father son things that most people take for granted, and if you see a reply to another thread about changing the VQ system you will see that i said the census on this board is that it not be changed, if that is the case then so be it. I am not having a pop at Showmasters I know they do have arrangements for disabled people which I applaud, I know the VQ is not going to change and so have to deal with in my way, which is has follows, if my number is not called by the time I have to go then I will go home , now that should not harm or bother no one, I have never said I wanted VQ changed just for me, I am sure however there are many people in the same worse position as me and yes we are in the minority and have to go along with the way things are, end of story.

Chris_MK

Can I ask you a couple of nice plain questions How old are you and what do you do know about severe autism ?

I would also like to invite you to take my son along to an event like C10, or even up the city on a normal saturday ? Then you will understand why it is hard just to go for even a mammoth 45 minutes with my children and perhaps then you will understand why I don't like VQ but again I know it won't change. Does it bother you if I decide I can't wait for a signature and decide to go early ?

I do not do guilt trips I just try and educate on things they might not fully understand properly and like most parents of children with severe autism, we found there is a lot of people that do not understand. When people hear the word autism they think of the film Rainman, which is basically at the lower end of the spectrum. If I was able to take my son to Alton Towers or disney for example they have a system where children with disabilities get a ticket which moves them to the front of the queue, and this was not changed by me or for me, Disney have done it for years and I am not suggesting SM change it that way.

I am confused as to why I really have to give a reason why I don't like VQ, or why I have to justify my opinion, I have not asked to justify why they really like it and to justify it, I have not asked for any reason, but it seems because I have a different view and don't like and as been said on here I am in the minority, is that why ?

Is that what happens on this forum when people are in the minority or say they don't like something and suggest improvements ?

Suz Queen

Thanks for your understanding, do you stay over then when you come or do you do it like a day trip ? glad to hear you enjoy yourself and although I can't stay longer than I would like, i do enjoy it. One good thing i do like about this how is that it is free, I remember a couple of times buying tickets for events elsewhere and then when the day to go, I had to cancel as my son had a fit, mind you its only money. At least with the MK show it is free so you don't lose any money that way !

What stars/films do you collect etc ?

Anyway thanx again

maduncledai

As for you saying get out of bed earlier, I will let you know that I am up every morning between 4 and 5 and I live in MK, you see I have more important things in life to worry about, My 2 children have severe special needs one indeed has IBS, Epilepsy and Autism, so are you saying I should be up even earlier just to get a ticket for a VQ and ignore the needs of my children ? My children come first not events like these and if it means I cannot go to an event until a later time or even not at all because of my children, then I hold my hands up for being evil and I certainly won't line someone else pockets even further to get a gold ticket when half of the stuff I would not be attending. At the ***** they have the talks in the building you don't need to pay extra for it !

I ment no offence by what I said and apoligise if any was caused.

I do agree with what you said your kids do come first I didn't know all the facts when I posted my message.

I'm lucky in a way I only have myself ( most of the time ) to worry about. My biggest thing is I have to get up at the crack of dawn also to catch the first train out of where I live to stand any sort of chance to get there in good time.

• Moderators

I am confused as to why I really have to give a reason why I don't like VQ, or why I have to justify my opinion, I have not asked to justify why they really like it and to justify it, I have not asked for any reason, but it seems because I have a different view and don't like and as been said on here I am in the minority, is that why ?

Is that what happens on this forum when people are in the minority or say they don't like something and suggest improvements ?

It's a lot easier to understand someone's argument/suggestion if they give the full details behind everything, then you know where they're coming from, you know? If someone is going to reply, only to be told that what they've said isn't relevant or well-informed because of a certain situation that wasn't made clear in the first place, then it can often save a lot of hassle and going back and forth by simply giving the full picture in the beginning.

No-one is saying this has to be done, but things are more easily understood when opinions are backed up with information.

Discussion always happens on this forum, and perhaps people just don't agree with you. It happens.

I think part of the reason for it being suggested that you collect tickets first thing in the morning then return towards the end of the day is that its at the end of the day when people are less busy and can be more accomodating then say at the height of the day. I have always found Fridays to be alot calmer and everyone to be more relaxed so would recommend that day if the guests that you want to see are there and if you can.

I don't think the virtual ticket system suffers for people getting tickets who won't use them later as they don't use them and the number on the board will rise quicker. The VT system as it stands seems to be more flexible in how it can be used by the organiser as well.

maduncledai

Thanks Mad no offence taken, so don't worry about it, its already forgotten. Where do you travel from then ? Is it far ?

David B

Thanks, I have no problem with people disagreeing with me, everyone has a different opinion and perhaps I should of given my reasons and circumstances as to why I didn't like it, but then I didn't really have to give any reason, I could of just left it. I think sometimes people are in a no win situation, no matter what, annoys me sometimes when I give the reasons behind things , like the reasons for me not liking VQ and then you are accused of guilt trips which I think is a bit below the belt. I don't really like giving reasons or my circumstances for opinions such as the ones we discussed cause some people think you are looking for sympathy, or going on a guilt trip, which is not my intention at all. I enjoy looking and caring for my children, disabilities or not, cause they are my children and I am a parent. I have accepted that people disagree with my thread an idea I picked up from another event that is going to happen and they seem to disagree with me not liking VQ, I accept that if they can accept the fact I don't like them and I know they won't changed for me or anyone and I have to get on with it as there is more important things in life.

feralmoggy

Thanks for your comments I like the way you put them, I won't be able to do that I am afraid, firstly the day may come and I might not be able to go as I explained earlier, I have to take the day as it comes. I am not gonna go into great detail but it would be highly impractible to do 2 visits as it is hard trying to get one visit in sometimes, I have been on a friday before while the kids have been at school, if a guest has been there that I have wanted.

But thanks again.

• Showmasters Admin

We have read all the posts, and we still feel that the system we've put in place is still the best way of managing large queues. After 15 years of going to events around the world this system we've seen this virtual queuing system we introduced to our show now being taken up by many other shows.

If someone comes up with a better system we will be happy to adopt it, but for now what we have will stay in place. Thank you all for your input and the high level of thought that has gone into these discussions, which could well have come up with a whole new way of doing things. Unfortunately it was not to be this time.

thank you all

Jason and the showmasters team