Terry Gilliam

mattman81

Just curious, are there any mad Terry Gilliam fans on here??

If so, you'll be pleased to know that his new film Tideland is out on August 11th and he'll be doing a book signing in London on Sat Aug 5th :wub:

Anyone interested in going??

• Showmasters Admin

MEEEE!!

Didn't know he had a film out, but I'll deffinitely go and see it.

Andrea

PS. If you haven't seen Lost in La mancha GET THE DVD! It's ana amzing insight into how the man works and what film makers are up against!

Good to see that I'm not alone :o

Yep, his new film looks quite arty and will probably get a very small scale release in the arthouse cinemas. Thankfully I live near London so shouldn't be too difficult to see. Michael Palin said his new film is either the worse or best he's ever made, he was quite sickened by it.

This should be the official site: Tideland

Roxy, where about's is the screening on the sixth and how easy is it to get tickets?? Is it also a screening where Terry will introduce the film?

PS-I have Lost in La Mancha on DVD and it is ace. Also saw it at the cinema too, shame he couldn't quite get it made.

My brother met him some years ago at a book signing for "Dark Knights and Holy Fools", got my 12 monkeys VHS signed for me. I couldn't go 'cos I had just started a new job. He signed a flyer for me and wrote "Good luck with your new job!" on it. Top man! Will be meeting him for the Tideland promotional event. :dance:

Roxy, where about's is the screening on the sixth and how easy is it to get tickets?? Is it also a screening where Terry will introduce the film?

I checked it and apparently the date's been changed to the 10th. It's at Curzon Soho and includes a Q&A with the man himself :D as far as I can tell tickets are still available and they're normal (london) cinema price :lol:

Hope he knows I'm pimping his work lol :D

(haven't had a chance to book myself yet :D )

ooh,another chance to trot out my 'i met terry gilliam in london and had a long chat about the state of the film industry and general corruption with the studio system and his disgust/dismay/despair at the studio chiefs for not allowing filmmakers to experiment and push the boundaries of cinema'.

at the time,he was just coming off shooting twelve monkeys,and was attempting to prep for the umpteenth time his version of watchmen...

the man is a god and i hope one day to have his babies...

matt,let's both do a piece of art based on one of his films and give it to him as a sucky-uppy present.

and then he might give us jobs!

wheeeeee!!!

I won tickets to a secret screening lastnight of the new film. It was a great evening and Terry G introduced the film and he was on fine form :poki: .

Here's my review of the film (spoiler-free):

"I knew that watching Tideland wasn’t going to be like watching Superman Returns, for example, and in that respect I wasn’t disappointed at all. At the same time though I can not say that watching Tideland was entertaining or enjoyable, but I can say with confidence that it wasn’t meant to be.

Using the term ‘thought-provoking’ to describe this film is a slight understatement. It is powerful, disturbing, has its light-hearted moments, its cringe worthy moments, and shows plenty of typical Gilliam traits.

The story does feel incoherent, but in many ways that’s the point. As Terry Gilliam said before the film, it isn’t meant to lead you by the hand and you don’t know where it’s going. The sudden introductions (and in some cases departures) of characters personifies this aspect. Visually the film is very impressive. The art direction, photography and camera work have Gilliam written all over it and in the age where the digital effect has taken over, it’s actually really great to see something as raw and creative as this. It makes for a more intense experience, making you feel much more involved. Special mention to Jodelle Ferland too who was excellent as Jeliza Rose.

As I watched the film I was constantly reminded of other films, and the best way to visualise this would be to imagine a freaky three-way love child between ‘The Texas Chainsaw Massacre’, ‘What’s eating Gilbert grape’ and ‘Big Fish’. In respect to the last two, this is what studio executives would describe as the “unsafe†versions.

As a body of work, this is an impressive film and I liked it very much. It’s a very difficult one to place in the Gilliam catalogue, but it definitely has its place....somewhere. It’s well worth seeing and to echo what many have said, go with a blank mind and you will be rewarded. It’s not the sort of film where I can grade it with 4 stars, that would be inappropriate but as a piece of work it does stand tall."

So in conclusion, go see it and come to the signing on Saturday ;)