Childhood films!

theoden_of_rohan

The Amazing Mr Blunden

One of my most favourite films when I was a kid. As an adult I realised what an awesome cast it was - Diana Dors as Mrs Wickens is unreal! From the English Marilyn Monroe to that unholy old witch - brilliant! She appears in the video for one of my favourite songs as a kid - "Prince Charming" by Adam and the Ants...phew!

And Laurence Naismith as Mr Blunden is wonderful. It is a very sweet story - I suppose bittersweet, not scary as such - although Mr and Mrs Wickens are great villains!

I met Madeline Smith who played Bella at a show and she was as disappointed as me that she had not been able to get hold of good Blunden photos. She loved the movie too - she said she felt like a child watching it even though she was in it, and loved it!

Many of the cast are no longer on this mortal coil, including Lynne Frederick (Lucy), who was married to Peter Sellers and died from alcoholism in 1994.

A truly great British film...and one most kids of any generation would fall in love with in my opinion...

56d25243.jpg

Lucy and Jamie looking worried...

095a.jpg

The evil Mrs and Mr Wickens...

blunden1.jpg

The Amazing Mr Blunden himself...

Edited by Hobbit_of_Dorsetshire

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I am vindicated!  Another fan of The Amazing Mr Blunden  :blink: .

906331[/snapback]

Yes indeed! A masterpiece it is! One wonders why it is not repeated on TV - so much crap is, and it is a wonderful British book made into a wonderfully made movie...

Maybe a good remake would rekindle interest...but British made - no yanks!

:blush:

I remember The Amazing Mr Blunden too, although it wasn't a favourite. In fact, certain scenes made me feel quite ill. They've shown it once or twice on Sky.

My favourites -

Quincy's Quest (with Tommy Steele, tho I had to hide behind the sofa when the witch was on screen)

Santa Claus the Movie

The Bluebird - both versions.

The original 1970s versions of Escape to and Return From Witch Mountain

Mary Poppins

The Man in the Santa Claus Suit (Fred Astaire). This was shown every Christmas when I was a child but hasn't been shown for years now!

As for TV, the original 1970s Famous Five and Phoenix and the Carpet outshone anything from the 80s and 90s. Could have been something to do with Gary Russell...:wub: