All because of you

Guest WaterBoy

Hi

I just thought I would write to tell everyone on the interweb about the best SM crew I have ever been a part of.

What the average fan in the street does not realise is how hard the crew work and how much of a team they really are. They come from many backgrounds, are differant ages and have different day jobs, but they create one amazing team. They are all fans of different films and have a variety of strengths, but put them together in a shopping centre for three days and they become an amazing group of people. Here are some examples;

At shows like SM's communications are vital. To that end a radio net is used to link the various areas of the site. They was a relatively new crewer called Alex who was able to organise and effectively run the radio net, making sure that the kit worked and everybody was in the loop. He also jumped to any task performing it in a skilled and dedicated fashion.

In dealing with the general public, providing good customer service is important. SM want people to enjoy their shows and happy staff helping the fans meet their guests enable that to happen. A good example of this is a crewer called Gemma who helped manage the fans wanting to meet Adam West. So good was she on Saturday, Mr West himself requested her back on Sunday.

There was a pit boss called Davey who, on realising that his crew were in bright hot sunlight, was practical enough to ensure that his crew had caps to keep off the worst of the suns glare.

Of course not all the crew wore crew shirts. A chap by the name of David was not only able to juggle many responsibilities at the same time, but was also able to introduce a new procedure that should help the dealers in the future.

Aside from the front of house side, many crew work behind the scenes. This includes Ian, (who was able to alter parts of the site at the drop of a hat and create new signing booths from limited resources), Stuart & Kate (who juggled mutiltple problems at the same time) and Jola, (who made sure that everyone got a nights sleep on Thursday some rest, even if they were worken up part way through it ^_^ )

Now I do not want people to think that these were the only people who did anything all weekend. There are lots of tales of people who did amazing things to ensure that the public had a good time. What is more amazing is that even on Sunday night, the same "go anywhere, do anything" spirit was still there, even if it did resemble something out of the Cannonball Run/wacky races.

I am not really a follower of druids and such stuff, but I do think there is something magical about Middleton Hall, some mother lode of mystical energy that the crew feeds off, that binds them together and enables them to do amazing things all weekend long. Working for SM requires people who can work amazingly hard, do impossible things and keep smiling.

And they are my friends.

Paul

Shame I couldn't get time off work to go this time and crew as usual but I completely agree with you - I always feel proud at the end of the weekend, however the event went and I've made some sturdy friendships. Everyone contributes something, whether you're a new member or a regular face and I always learn from each convention.

I hope to always be included in this :)

thanks paul. that was much appreciated.

but i have to add you to your list. you are always eager to take on any job and enthusiasm is so important to crewing. keep up the good work.

i would also like to add my thanks to the crew that i worked with this time. i had a really good time. on friday i had very little to do and those that know me know just how much i prefer to be busy... but i was happy nonetheless. and why? because i was there. i was part of something so much bigger than me and i couldnt care less what i was doing as long as i was part of it.

i know that i will continue to crew as long as SM will have me. so heres to another great event and hopefully many more to come!

roll on GMEX!!!

gemma

=x=

Paul,

Spot on and thank you.

Maybe we should take a moment to appreciate your greatness too.

What a lot of people do not realise is that Paul or Waterboy as we have all come to know him, is always the first person to arrive and the last to leave , no job or task is beneath him and he always shys away from the limelight. Paul ( there are a few others that fit into this category) is the glue that holds these events together.

Always there, always supportive and ready to do anything. True stars

I salute you

KateX

Hi Paul

I totally agree, we all work great as team. Also agree with Kate, you are very dedicated to work, no job or task is to difficult or too small. You put the rest of us to shame :blush:

A huge round of applause to you. *clap* *clap* *clap*

Wish I could have worked with all of you last weekend, glad it all worked out! Didn't realise how much I miss it! and miss all my friends and fellow crew members.

Look forward to seeing you all at G:Mex and ready to party!

Marina x

I never started this post to try to get any praise ;)

I really do not do anything that anybody else does not do. I just wanted to let everyone in internetland know about the great team I was part of.

And I was still feeling quite emotional when I typed that, not that I did not mean every word of it.

:lol:

Paul

(and my back feels just fine.)