Help the dealers to get their autos!

Firstly, this is a request, not a moan. HOORAH! GOOD VIBES!

As a fan firstly, and a dealer second (which only serves to supplement a meagre teachers salary and enhance my own collection) I also collect autographs. At another london based show in MAy, the stewards did not allow the dealers to get their virtual queue tickets until the doors had opened (well, they did for one guest but not others). I understand that everyone wants their ticket and that the earlier one arrives, the nearer the front you are going to get. Fine. But dealers arrive far before to set up etc and have a look round. And obviously, dealers would want to be at their stall when people first come in. As the stewards were standing with the tickets anyway, would it really be expecting too much to have got them BEFORE the doors open? Fairs are busy, as you know, and it does limit the time we can be away from our stalls.

I ask SM that, maybe 10 mins before opening to the public, dealers can have a chance to get their tickets. It's not too bad if you only want one or even two, but by the time you have those, huge queues have already formed for the bigger names, meaning more time away from stall!

Not too bad if their are two of you, but my girlfriend didnt want to be left on her own at a busy time not having done one before.

So, SM, any joy?

Oh, and as i said earlier, this show wasnt organised by SM, so if it doesnt apply anyway, my humble apologies!

No,no, no. I dont want to jump queues, but as i need to be at my stall through the majority of the day, i dont think it unfair that i can get my tickets just before it opens to the public. I pay around £150 for my stall and as i said, i make a bit of money to be able to buy things i want (like autographs) but at the end of the day, we are in throughout friday or dead early sat morning (much earlier than those queuing) so to be able to get our tickets isnt queue jumping is it? It cant be queue jumping if i am there before you, can it?

Especially when one could argue that paying £200 for a gold ticket actually ENABLES you to queue jump!!!!

I would still expect to wait in the queue with my ticket but that still takes up time. Queuing for the ticket when i have to be at my stall seems a little off, as I will be in furthwer queues later. After hotel bills, van hire and stall money, I dont make vast amounts, so i really do need to be at my stall as much as possible.

At the end of the day, it is a lot of fun talking to and meeting people as a fan and stall holder, and that is where i spend the majority of 2 days, at my stall. My girlfriend, ah!, enjoys Buffy etc but has little experience of running a stall at these events and although shes great, when it comes to stuff like Star wars and star trek, i need to be around to answer queries on my stock.

Its just much easier to get the autographs done so i can spend the day on my stall, not panicking about being able to get away.

Im only asking that we are able to get our VIRTUAL tickets a few mins before opening so that we can be back at our stall where we need to be. NOT jumping queues!

What do you think?

Ok. I see your point except I dont 'send' my girlfriend anywhere. I dont order her about, she would not expect to be 'sent' anywhere. Secondly, my girlfriend also wants to get her own tickets and as they usually give only one each this causes probs, as the stewards are standing with the tickets with 5 mins to go, is there really any point in not just handing me/her/us one then?

Its not like every dealer wants every auto, usually just a handful, i cant see how it would make much of a difference to anyone.

I really dont want to sound like a moan, and im not, but when the doors open we get very busy. This is obviously a good thing but it leaves little time to worry about getting tickets and, like yourselves, i am a fan, and also get stressed about getting my autos.

Ok. I see your point except I dont 'send' my girlfriend anywhere. I dont order her about, she would not expect to be 'sent' anywhere.

Don't argue semantics you know what Hatchet meant. So you pay £150 for having a stall there? So what. Many people save for months to go to these cons/events. We are all in the same boat really.

Sorry if this sounds pissy, I'm ill and feel like poo.

I understand your partcular predicament, but sadly...tough.

You pay to set your table up, but you make money because of it.

Why should you be entitled to get tickets before everyone else? Many dealers sell autographs, and its not fair if they get tickets first, get 20 items signed and take ages. Is it?

And quite frankly, if you cant organise with your girlfriend to get the tickets between you then thats your problem. She wants one for herself? Well she'll have to get your autographs for you wont she?

Wow, im quite amazed at the hostility i have recvieved. So you suggest i get my girlfriend to get my autographs?

Well, why dont you get someone else to get yours? Oh yeah, because you actually want to meet them, as do I.

My girlfriend and I are both well educated and are quite capable of sorting it out, i was only asking SM to give dealers a bit of leeway.

It seems a little silly to me that i can stand next to the steward, talk to the steward, see the tickets in his hand but cant actually take one a few mins before doors open. It has to be a bit of a jobsworth that wont hand tickets out to people who HAVE been there as long if not longer than people in the queue. A queue works on a first come first served basis, we ARE already there.

Im not suggesting that anyone push in, or have preferential treatment, but if i am already there, what possible difference can it make to anyone else if i get a couple of tickets before the doors open?

As i said earlier, i could have paid for a gold ticket for the opportunity to push in or get preferential treatment.

i really didnt think this would cause such a hostile response and i still dont see why it has.

What does SM say on the subject?

Wow, im quite amazed at the hostility i have recvieved. So you suggest i get my girlfriend to get my autographs?

Well, why dont you get someone else to get yours? Oh yeah, because you actually want to meet them, as do I.

My girlfriend and I are both well educated and are quite capable of sorting it out, i was only asking SM to give dealers a bit of leeway.

It seems a little silly to me that i can stand next to the steward, talk to the steward, see the tickets in his hand but cant actually take one a few mins before doors open. It has to be a bit of a jobsworth that wont hand tickets out to people who HAVE been there as long if not longer than people in the queue. A queue works on a first come first served basis, we ARE already there.

Im not suggesting that anyone push in, or have preferential treatment, but if i am already there, what possible difference can it make to anyone else if i get a couple of tickets before the doors open?

As i said earlier, i could have paid for a gold ticket for the opportunity to push in or get preferential treatment.

i really didnt think this would cause such a hostile response and i still dont see why it has.

What does SM say on the subject?

To be honest, you'd be better off e-mailing them about it... would save you getting grief here! :rolleyes:

I think part of the problem is that as has already been said what would happen if they did give tickets out to dealers a bit before the doors opened. How many would want them? I don't think it would be just yourself, other dealers would want to do that as well. If that hapens how many tickets should be given out to dealers? What if all of them tkae this up? It would make a mockery of all those who have gotten up early to queue outside if the first lot of tickets have already been give out to dealers. Most dealers would want more than one auto as they would probably want to sell them on which means the lines would be huge and take ages to go down. Also if you start that arguement what about all the stewards? As I understand it they are in a similar situation to you. They are there all day and don't get dibs on the tickets either.

I understand your problem but it could open a whole can of problems.

I note that at the early LFCC's there were room for 700 dealer tables.

So lets say half of them want tickets.

Person X queuing from 7am now gets ticket 350 for no good reason. And theyve paid £10 for the early bird privledge!

If the autographs are that important to you then save the £150 on the table and use it for autographs. Youre obviously making good money from the table so you have to ask what your priority is: making the money or meeting the stars. You cant have it both ways.

And its not hostitlity. Its common sense. You want preferences over everyone else, just for your own benefit.

Dude give up you picked completely the wrong place to pitch your proposal.

Its the equivalent of you walking into an anti-fur rally flogging fur coats

Answer is simple, you want to jump the line,you buy the ticket!!!

You ever think that maybe it would have been better to contatc SM directly??? Rather than come onto the fan forum asking for their support for you to jump infront of them???

Sorry dude but for a techer its a really stupid mistake and im sure its cost you any chance of it happening!

I'd have to agree with mistaken plane, cause it wouldn't just be one or 2 dealers making the most of it. And I know you've mentioned a couple of times the Gold Passes, and yes they are a ticket to queue jump, BUT, the money from them goes in to the pot for bigger and better guests next time, so these "queue jumpers" are at least doin their bit to improve the con for everyone in the future (if only i had the cash to be one of em :rolleyes: ) Whereas letting dealers get there tickets before the doors open is only gonna give dealers a rather unfair advantage.

Why Not drag a loyal and not interested in cons mate along.. They could watch the stall while you and your girlfriend go get tickets and autos.

Why Not drag a loyal and not interested in cons mate along.. They could watch the stall while you and your girlfriend go get tickets and autos.

It has to be done sometimes...I dragged my Mum and sister out of bed at an ungodly hour at LFCC2 as I was worried about not getting to see everyone I wanted to as I had to pop off to another con on the Sat afternoon and couldn't get back on the Sunday. They didn't patriculary want to go but did it as a favour to me. I got all the tickets I wanted and got through all the guests. SOmetimes you just have to comprimise/sacrifice. :rolleyes: