What is a guest worth?

Dom

At £40 - £50 a go,who would you meet?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. At £40 - £50 a go,who would you meet?

• Mark Hamill
    • Frank Oz
    • Ian McDiarmd
    • Sarah Michelle Gellar
    • David Boreanez
    • William Shattner
    • Christopher Lee
    • Ian Mckellan
    • Richard Dean Anderson
    • OTHER PLEASE STATE!

True, im not saying by charging £xxx they dont care about their fans. They are trying to establish the worth of their brand, its kind of like the US stance on terrorism they wont negotiate. If they go to do one con at one price they have to maintain that otherwise it will be open season with offers.

So why do people charge the equivalent of £7 in the States, £10 in Europe and then come and charge £15 here?

Why did Kenny Baker charge £10 at Cheshunt, then £15 at Collectormania?

The prices are not universal.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, im not saying by charging £xxx they dont care about their fans. They are trying to establish the worth of their brand, its kind of like the US stance on terrorism they wont negotiate. If they go to do one con at one price they have to maintain that otherwise it will be open season with offers.

So why do people charge the equivalent of £7 in the States, £10 in Europe and then come and charge £15 here?

Why did Kenny Baker charge £10 at Cheshunt, then £15 at Collectormania?

The prices are not universal.

The Kenny Baker is an easy answer

At chesunt he would not have been that busy. It`s not an auto event so he had to get the punters in!

At CM he charges it and gets it! The little fella needs to pay for somebody else to drive his Rolls since he got done for drink driving.

As for prices being different between here and the states, the answer to that is travel expenses! You honestly think any star being flown in from the states travels economy? Thats 2 - 3 grand gone just on the plane fair.

As for prices being different between here and the states, the answer to that is travel expenses! You honestly think any star being flown in from the states travels economy? Thats 2 - 3 grand gone just on the plane fair.

It's also a case of the market price and what the market will stand. Go to the States and you can also pick up stuff like CDs and electronic equipment for the same number of dollars as you will pay here in pounds - which instantly makes it about twice as expensive over here. For various historic reasons (including yes, the air fare) autographs over here cost more than over there (assuming rough equivalence of popularity in both places), so since the market over here is accustomed to paying that level, that's the level it's based on. It's pretty simple supply and demand really.

It's also a case of the market price and what the market will stand. Go to the States and you can also pick up stuff like CDs and electronic equipment for the same number of dollars as you will pay here in pounds - which instantly makes it about twice as expensive over here. For various historic reasons (including yes, the air fare) autographs over here cost more than over there (assuming rough equivalence of popularity in both places), so since the market over here is accustomed to paying that level, that's the level it's based on. It's pretty simple supply and demand really.

Spot on! :D

I really do think that these events have always been in a certain respect about meeting the fans. As you have pointed out dom, they could get money else where for alot less work. So surely if they started charging £50 etc, then that would mean they don;t respect/care about their fans and its ALL ABOUT THE MONEY? :D

"Dahling, I act for the sake of art and that is my only desired reward. The public can be so fickle, and the glory of the art of acting should be reward enough for them."

More prosaically, if you wanted me to spend several days sitting sweating in a hot crowded shopping centre signing stuff for an array of people, some of whom will be starstruck gibbering loons, some of whom will ask remarkably dumb questions, or questions I've answered a thousand times before (and in widely published interviews, damnit!), and some of whom, just by the combination of random selection of the population plus the environmental conditions, will have a personal hygiene problem, then yes, I'd want a sackload of cash to do that too. Otherwise, what's the point of being famous.

I'd make a terrible guest, wouldn't I?! :o Good job I'm not famous then ;)

I really do think that these events have always been in a certain respect about meeting the fans.  As you have pointed out dom, they could get money else where for alot less work.  So surely if they started charging £50 etc, then that would mean they don;t respect/care about their fans and its ALL ABOUT THE MONEY? :D

"Dahling, I act for the sake of art and that is my only desired reward. The public can be so fickle, and the glory of the art of acting should be reward enough for them."

More prosaically, if you wanted me to spend several days sitting sweating in a hot crowded shopping centre signing stuff for an array of people, some of whom will be starstruck gibbering loons, some of whom will ask remarkably dumb questions, or questions I've answered a thousand times before (and in widely published interviews, damnit!), and some of whom, just by the combination of random selection of the population plus the environmental conditions, will have a personal hygiene problem, then yes, I'd want a sackload of cash to do that too. Otherwise, what's the point of being famous.

I'd make a terrible guest, wouldn't I?! :o Good job I'm not famous then ;)

Spot on again!

Im sure some of the stars who have not done cons before view alot of the fans of certain things as completely losers, buying into the stereotype completely! Who wants some idiot screaming at them, some sweaty muppet hugging them or some completely anal fan asking a million questions?

If you have never seen Galaxy Quest watch it especially the convention part at the begining, because im 100% sure that is how some stars think what happens at these cons and to be fair they are not all wrong.

Don`t tell porkies man!

If he was there your hand would be in your pocket so fast, your trousers would fall down.

This image signed in silver or gold

That would look so cool signed in gold. :o

Yeah that and the Micheal Bhein pics would be amazing! Just hope it happens one day :D

McKellen, Lee and Hammil. I wouldn't bother spending it on SMG cos i don't think she appreciates her fans and DB would probably charge more because he thinks he's worth it!

Yeah out of the list they are the people rumored to be the most arsey, them and shattner

McKellen, Lee and Hammil. I wouldn't bother spending it on SMG cos i don't think she appreciates her fans and DB would probably charge more because he thinks he's worth it!

Yeah out of the list they are the people rumored to be the most arsey, them and shattner

If Sarah Michelle Gellar and David Boreanaz turned up they could look as tired and miserable as they wanted, as long as I saw them sign the photo in front of me.

Sure, it would be great if they were chatty and cheery , but at the end of the day the auto is what people are after.

• 11 months later...

A guest is worth only what a fan is willing to pay. :whistling:

I would only pay £50 for Christopher Lee if he signed my Dracula picture (which ain't gonna happen) and I would pay £50 for Harrison Ford if he came to a convention (even less likely to happen!)

I voted Christopher Lee. I would begrudge paying that amount for Sir Ian McKellen as my brother works with his nephew-not that he has produced an autograph, or a chance to meet uncle Ian yet!!