Travel

Kazonolga

I may be able to go on the 25th of June (have to be back the 26th because my daughter is celebrating her birthday then) but can anyone tell me which London airport is nearest by the convention venue? I come from the Netherlands.

Thanks in advance. I have taken a look at the travel info at the site, but it's not clear to me which airport I can best take. Maybe London Gatwick?

Cheers from Olga

Thanks Clairewkd! I will take a look. I can also try Ryanair, that's only around 15 Euro's for a round trip (taxes excluded) but maybe Easyjet is better. btw, what hotel can I best stay. I prefer to stay in the most nearby hotel, regarding the event venue. I don't mind the costs.

no probs lol i cancelled my hotel cause im only goin for either the saturday or the sunday, cause ive got other stuff to do at the weekend plus im gonna be in LON on the Wednesday as well LOL but i had a hotel thats right by the place, the exhibition court hotel 2, its pretty alrite, i'm sure u can get it up on google tho lol Good Luck with the searchin for hotels anyways!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I've booked it! :D I fly with Ryanair from Eindhoven to London Stansted and I fly back from London Gatwick to Amsterdam. That was the cheapest way. I stay in the Earls Court 2 hotel. Can someone tell me how I best can go from Stansted to Earls Court? And from Earls Court to Gatwick airport? I am a bit unsure about all the tubes and trains etc. Dumb Dutchie, I know. But thanks for the help.

xx Olga

I am sooo much looking forward to it!!!

Thanks, I've booked it! :P I fly with Ryanair from Eindhoven to London Stansted and I fly back from London Gatwick to Amsterdam. That was the cheapest way. I stay in the Earls Court 2 hotel. Can someone tell me how I best can go from Stansted to Earls Court? And from Earls Court to Gatwick airport? I am a bit unsure about all the tubes and trains etc. Dumb Dutchie, I know. But thanks for the help.

xx Olga

I am sooo much looking forward to it!!!

OK, let's try this.

From Stansted you want to get a train to Liverpool Street. The best bet is to find/ask for the "Stansted Express" service, which stops at Tottenham Hale and Liverpool Street stations only. They may be able to tell you at the ticket office when you buy your train ticket (single, not return) which platform it leaves from.

Take the train all the way to Liverpool Street. (Stansted Express journey time to Liverpool Street approx 45 minutes)

At Liverpool Street train station, follow the signs for the tube/underground station. It will only be a couple of minutes walk. Buy a ticket for a Zone 1 journey - this costs £2.00 single. You can queue up at the ticket office window and just ask for a single to Earl's Court, but if you feel confident at using the automatic ticket dispensers, then basically you want an adult, zone 1, single journey, ticket. (I'm assuming you're an adult). This ticket will be good all the way to Earl's Court, even though you will have to change trains.

Start off by catching a Central line train (this is shown on maps and signs as the red line). Make sure you catch it in the right direction! You want to go westbound. Any westbound Central line train will do - it may be showing as going to West Ruislip, Ealing Broadway, North Acton or White City. No matter - any westbound Central line train will do.

The 4th stop should be Holborn. Get off at Holborn. (Liverpool Street->Holborn tube journey is about 7-8 minutes)

Follow the signs for the Piccadilly line (this is shown on maps and signs as the dark blue line).

You want to get a Piccadilly line train which will either be shown as southbound or westbound (I can't remember which - basically the Piccadilly line runs from the south-west to the north-east, but the tube refers to it being either north-south or east-west - I'm not sure which)

You want any southbound/westbound Piccadilly line train, whether it be shown as going to Heathrow, Rayners Lane or Uxbridge.

Earl's Court should be the 9th stop. (Holborn->Earl's Court tube time is about 15-18 minutes).

And for the journey home.

Go to Earl's Court tube station. Again, you want a ticket for an adult, zone 1, single journey (£2).

Ask if the District line is running as far as Victoria.

If it is

You want a District line train eastbound. (The District line is shown on maps and signs as the green line)

You want a train that is shown as going to Barking, Tower Hill or Upminster

Do not get on a train that is shown as going to Edgware Road or High Street Kensington.

The 4th stop on the train you take should be Victoria

Get off at Victoria (Earl's Court->Victoria jorney time about 8-9 mins)

If it isn't

Get an eastbound/northbound Picadilly line train to Green Park (the 5th stop - journey time from EC about 8-10 minutes),

Follow the signs for the Victoria line (this line is shown on maps and signs as light blue) and catch a southbound Victoria line train to Victoria - Victoria is the first stop,the journey only takes a couple of minutes.

Follow the signs for Victoria main line/overland train station.

Buy a ticket from the ticket office for the Gatwick Express - the ticket office people will probably be able to tell you which platform that you want.

Find the Gatwick Express. I believe that this runs non stop from Victoria to Gatwick (journey time is 30 minutes, 35 minutes on Sundays)

That should get you to Gatwick without too many problems.

A word of warning - I know I've said that tube stops "should be" the 4th stop, the 9th stop etc. Just occasionally stations are closed for engineering works or for safety reasons or because of security alerts. Probably an idea just to "keep track" of where you are - there are maps of the individual lines in the tube train carriages, and you can usually see and sometimes hear the train station names as you arrive there. In any case, feel free to ask - people tend to be quite quiet and reserved on the tube, but generally they are helpful.

Hope this helps! (Thanks to Banished_From_Rohan for the corrections and additions!)

Edited by TommyT

Tommy. I'm not going to quote all of your post, and most of it is perfectly true, accurate and extremely helpful. But.......

You need a WESTBOUND, not eastbound Central line train from Liverpool Street.

And be aware that at the moment the district line doesnt run between Earls Court and Whitechapel (I think) at the weekend because of engineering work, so in that respect the best idea would be to get an East/Northbound Picadilly line train to Green Park, and then change onto a southbound Victoria line train to Victoria.

Of course, the latter may well not be accurate by the time we get to LFACC3 anyway!

edited due to typos!

Edited by Banished_From_Rohan