Marvel VS D.C

JamesMarsters

i would say marvel because they have the better range, but they also have constant delays on shipping out books which bugs the crap out of me!

Dc though have batman who is the best superhero, and identity crisis was the best comic of last year easy!

• 1 month later...

In the 60's Marvel. (Stan Lee - thank you so much!!)

In the 70's DC. (Jack Kirbyverse. Marshal Rogers on Detective Comics)

In the 80's DC (Watchmen, V For Vendetta, Batman: the Dark Knight Returns, Batman: The Killing Joke)

Marvel very average (excpet for Frank Miller Daredevil run and John Byrne Uncanny X-Men run)

In the 90's. Marvel (Quite a dull decade for comics - too much product, too many shiny covers.)

In the 00's. A draw so far. Some great writers and artists about. If you can write well and draw well, it doesn't matter which company or character that you work with. If you are good, what you create will be good.

I know it's a Marvel vs. DC thread, but there is some great talent on the Independant publishers, so don't ignore them. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Marvel - no contest. Don't get me wrong, DC is cool, but Marvel just hits home with it's characterisations, and I grew up with the good ol' 90s Spiderman and Hulk, and TAS of X-men and FF. All hail the "Marvel Action Hour" (does anybody remember that, or is that something that I just made up? Lolz)! And of course, if it wasn't for those, I wouldn't have begun collecting the comics themselves.

So those that defended DC, why is that (no offence intended)? I'm curious as to why you preffer their comics...

So those that defended DC, why is that (no offence intended)? I'm curious as to why you preffer their comics...

I would say that I read DC because firstly I like the characters more. Firstly there is Batman who works so well because he is only human and there is always this argument of what gives his the right to lock the mad away, when he is Psychotic himself. I think the comic version is much better than the films (not including Batman Begins) and he is an enigma of the night. His villains are just fantastic and he probably has the best villains in comics. Then expanding out, you have Superman who although may be more of a simple character, he stands for an ideal. But most importantly he was the first superhero. It was Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster that came up with the concept of a superhero. They had taken the idea to every comic company and it was only DC that accepted it, thus without Superman, superheroes would not exist in comics. The relationship between the lightness of Superman and the darkness Batman also works extremely well in comics. Personally I love DC because the characters are set away from us in fictional worlds like Gotham and Metropolis, I use comics as a form of escapism and because alot of the characters are very godlike and inhuman, it adds to the escapism. Then there alot of relatively unknowns which Warner Bros haven't let see the light of day, like The Spectre for example (who has an extremely cool origin). The Spectre is basically the wrath of God and alot of the later Spectre comics tackle alot of contraversial and religious ideas (as well as having great stories and characters). DC also had The Watchmen which added for a fresh take on superheroes and V for Vendetta (which I really, really liked). I'm not sure if Marvel have this, but DC had a comic made to sort out all of their continuity problems called Crisis On Infinite Earths which was very well written. And then it also has alternatives to superheroes like Vertigo which take place in the same world but follow the world of magic etc. and gives a new perspective on how we see the world. Maybe it's just all down to taste, but those are a few of the things that makes me a DC man, you have to delve quite deep to get all the greatness that is DC and try not to base it on the warner bros films.

Hope I could help

PS - can someone please explain what Hulk does that is constructive, cause from what I've gathered he seems to always to be smashing up tanks? (again no offence intended, just curious)

Some nice points, there :)

I personally love the darkness of DC - Superman is the only exception, really.

I have read many a DC comic, too - so I'm not just a movie buff who prefers the Marvel movies to the DC ones. I love the movies, but they don't give the comics as much justice as they deserve. I hope that the new film will fair better in this arena.

Ps. The Hulk, yes, does "hulk smash" a lot - but it's more Bruce Banner that is the hero. And The Hulk is not as simple as you may think, in a violent sense - he's the reluctant hero - a child trapped in the body of a giant with superhuman qualities! He just throws temper tantroms, like any child would if they were shot at - lolz! You should try watching TAS, be it the classic live action one, or the animated 90s version - both do him a lot more justice than the Hulk movie did (even though I still liked it - excluding the cruddy CGI, of course - lolz).

• 3 weeks later...
Marvel all da way

also Cat women and Hellboy what are they from?

Catwoman is D.C., while Hellboy is D.C.

Actually, I think you'll find that Hellboy is DarkHorse produced. See the Hellboy official website...

That's what I get for being on automatic pilot when I type - I did mean to type Dark Horse.

Hehe - it's kwl :wub: Probably just force of habit :o It is a Marvel vs DC thread, after all. No worries, dude :P

d.c all the way !!!

why??

for all your spiderman +wolverines (which are very good comics don't get me wrong) d.c have better characters in my eyes batman, huntress, j.s.a, j.l.a, green lantern, green arrow, starman, the list is endless.

i think the main reason is i grew up reading all these and when i was younger xmen etc just confused the hell outta me!

i obviousley get them now i much older ( i doubt iam wiser!) but ive just always loved d.c!