Carrie Fisher , No photos and no Pricess leia

I have to say it was great meeting Carrie!

Yes, anyone can always say they felt rushed, they wanted longer to chat, the star wasn't as happy as he/she could be - as the saying goes: 'you can't please all of the people, all of the time'

Having helped at and organised similar events in the past, I know there are times when signings can seem very rushed - and these times are pretty random! For instance, most times I went past, Walter Koenig's queue was pretty long, but the time I decided to go get his autograph, suddenly there was no-one there, and I ended up chatting to him for at least five minutes!

Having said that, it did feel very much like a cattle market waiting for Carrie / Billy Dee Williams - not because of the guests, but in the way the queues were (supposedly) organised! The times I was there, staff were trying to cram as many people into the roped areas as possible, and given that the sun at times came out from the clouds, things got a bit hot & sweaty.

Under these circumstances, the people waiting are not in the best frame of mind by the time they get to the front of the queue, quite easily feeling that the slightest thing they think is wrong is a deliberate action to upset them on the part of the star.

Although the wait to meet Carrie was what took most of my time at CM6, it was definitely worth it - I really felt she was trying to make an effort - and what a smile she still has!

Hopefully SM will have learned from the experiences this weekend, and the next event will not have so many people moaning about it! I'm not sure how much consultation went on between SM and the centre staff, but there's some quite easy things they could have done - for example used rope barriers up the corridor where people where queuing across the whole space - this would have meant crew spending less time shouting at people, also shoppers would still have been able to get through.

I do have a lot of positive thoughts about CM6, they'll be popping up in other threads soon!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To add my tuppence, I can see what some people are saying, agree with it to a certain extent, and totally disagree with it in others.

£25, yeah, ok, arguably she is a bigger star wars name, and would command a higher fee than other Star Wars actors /actresses. Bigger fee means higer priced autographs, I can handle that.

I was disappointed that she wouldn't sign Princess Leia - I know have an autograph that doesn't match all my other Star Wars ones. Every other Star Wars person I have met has never had a problem doing this, and none of them have been as expensive as her.

What really ticked me off the most, was the way she did not even have the common courtesy to acknowledge I was there. I had ticket 760, but went back right at the end, and Carrie was on an open queue. It was nearly 5pm, and there was no one in the queue behind me.

She was busy talking to her assistant. Another assistant took the photo from me, put it on the desk in front of her and she just signed away. I said hello, she didn't even look up. I said nice to meet you after she had finished, and she just turned and carried on talking to her assistant. I was not allowed personalisation despite me being the only person in the queue.

Disappointed and disillusioned don't even come close to describing how I felt. I was gutted, especially after the fantastic way I had felt so welcomed by Dorn, Sirtis, Spiner and Troyer.

What bugs me the most is the variety of reports people are posting. Why should she be so nice to some and totally disregard others? It just doesn't make any sense.

I just remember handing over my name on a piece of paper (how hard is it to spell Chris).

I actually find this whole thread offensive. I was sat there taking money for Carrie for 9 hours and it was a really long 9 hours. Give the women a break.

As for Too Talls post of finding this thread offensive...

Carrie fisher = 1000 x £25 x 3 days

£75,000 minimum.

If Carrie took as much as £70,000 of that, thats still £5,000 for three days work - (well, two and a half as Sunday is only six or seven hours)

I find it offensive when I've paid £25 for 5 seconds worth of being ignored.

It takes more time to add Princess Leia.

Firstly the estimates of only 1000 signatures per day are wildly out. It was much more than that - she did 140 just after lunch on the Saturday for the fat dealer. She saw 1000 on Saturday, but the vast majority had at least 2 items, and many 3,4 and 5.

Even if we allow for just 2000 signatures. Say it takes 6 secs to add Princess Leia to an autograph. Over the course of 2000 signatures that would be 200 minutes (nearly 3.5 hours!! - half her actual signing time) spent adding that - again meaning far less people could see her etc.

To be fair to Carrie I have never seen an autograph which she has added Leia to.

I own a postcard, that Carrie wrote to me back in the late 1970s thanking me for a gift I sent her, and she signed it Princess Leia.

Guess I am one of the few.

Ermmm... I've heard Carrie tends to send secretarials by post. That means it might have been signed by someone else on her behalf. Might be signed by her, might not. Sorry

What bugs me the most is the variety of reports people are posting. Why should she be so nice to some and totally disregard others? It just doesn't make any sense.

Best guess....

It's just timing and luck

You arrive at 16.45 as she's mid conversation with her assistant, she barely notices you. You catch her at 16.48 as the conversation has finished and she looks up, smiles and says hi.

I own a postcard, that Carrie wrote to me back in the late 1970s thanking me for a gift I sent her, and she signed it Princess Leia.

Ermmm... I've heard Carrie tends to send secretarials by post. That means it might have been signed by someone else on her behalf. Might be signed by her, might not. Sorry

Nice.. real sensitive post... what exaclty was the prupose of posting this? Just to make someone feel miserable?

Nice.. real sensitive post... what exaclty was the prupose of posting this? Just to make someone feel miserable?

So you are the sort of person lets your mate walk around all night with toilet paper stuck to their butt and get laughed at, just in case telling them might 'embarras' them?

I will remember that if you are potentially looking silly, or being fooled by someone, you prefer not to be told.

I think it's up to salogel42 to say if they would rather have known or not. And please note I didn't say it wasn't Carrie's autograph, just that you have to be careful.

, so your comparrison is nonsensical.

So you are the sort of person lets your mate walk around all night with toilet paper stuck to their butt and get laughed at, just in case telling them might 'embarras' them?

I will remember that if you are potentially looking silly, or being fooled by someone, you prefer not to be told.

I think it's up to salogel42 to say if they would rather have known or not. And please note I didn't say it wasn't Carrie's autograph, just that you have to be careful.

I don't think Salogel was in danger of being embarrased so your comparison is nonsensical.

Sometimes it IS better to leave things unsaid.......