Forum Validation

Queen_Sindel

Okay, I think now is the time I have to write this because we have been getting a number of requests asking "why validation is taking so long".

So: Forum validation.

I realize not all forums do this, and if you try to register her it may seem strange and annoying. I wish we could get rid of it, but we can't.

Not only because of a huge spam bot issue - there's only so and so many times a mod can face clearing 101 p*rn spam bot posts involving animal pictures without getting nuts. 

Unfortunately there's also an issue with people trying to create troll accounts and create trouble on purpose, and banned users who declared they "don't want to post in this horrible place anyway", but then try to sneak in again. Some are easy to spot, some go through real trouble to get back on here. For the record, I caught one person 17 times.

I realize the last two things sound insane and unreal to any regular thinking human being. Almost 50 pages of notes I took during my time as a mod here say it is very real though.

I do try to validate accounts at least every three days. During slow periods (like now) or when I am busy or sick this may on occasion turn into a week, because I am a human being and on occasion I forget things. ;) With our software we are currently using the approval has to be done manually.

Also me being a human being means that sometimes I won't react to questions straight away because I am not online. I have a boyfriend, a family, a job and I play Pokemon Go. (Yes, I still play that.)

And most important, this pesky being human thing also means that sometimes I require sleep. For those who do not know, I am in Germany and Germany is an hour ahead of the UK. So if you register Friday night it is later on Friday my time, and due to me being a volunteer like the other mods too the chances are 99 percent I am not sitting on the computer waiting for registrations to come in and validate them. 

People having such completely unrealistic expectations were the reason I have removed my private e-mail from here. Some may have seen the post I put up explaining why I did this. I do not mind if you e-mail me if you still have it. However, if you start freaking out on me when I do not reply to you within a couple of hours this might get you a reaction you don't like. Also, please give me some time for the validation. Do not start going "why can't I post?" before you even completed your registration, or because your registration is not completed over night.

January isn't even over and there's already been several of these questions including the two I mentioned above and two pretty bad freak outs at my e-mail address, one for an isse I don't even handle and one about a guest announcement I most definitely don't handle.      

I swear no one is ignoring anyone, but please everyone: we are no machines.

• Like 6

I Just want to say thank you for all the hard werk you people put into this, it’s much appreciated by me and everyone else. Too bad you get confronted with less thankful people but know that we’re all very much obliged to you. I think this forum is awesome, so keep up the good work!