Cosplay props query

Hi there!

This will be my second time attending this convention and my first ever cosplay! In honour of Sylvester McCoy attending the convention I decided to go dressed as his character in the Hobbit, the Wizard Radagast the Brown.

Because of this I need a wooden staff, and my question is are wooden staffs permitted to be carried around the convention throughout the day? I have read the prop rules on this forum for previous years and nothing has come up about wooden staffs. I would appreciate a reply.

Thank you very much!

A wooden staff won't be a problem. I remember seeing a very good Gandalf a while ago, he definitely had a staff.

Thank you very much! And I saw a good cosplay of Gandalf last year and he had a staff but I just wished to confirm it for myself :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah wood is fine, I did 4 costumes last year and we went as a group, Gandalf with a wooden staff, Saruman with a plastic staff and the Witchking of Angmar and Frodo both with bamboo cored swords (foam covered) no issues. I think the ones you need to be careful of are metal swords etc. (which need to be peace bonded) and replica guns.

• Like 1

Yeah wood is fine, I did 4 costumes last year and we went as a group, Gandalf with a wooden staff, Saruman with a plastic staff and the Witchking of Angmar and Frodo both with bamboo cored swords (foam covered) no issues. I think the ones you need to be careful of are metal swords etc. (which need to be peace bonded) and replica guns.

Ha you're the guys I had a picture with and was refferring to in the previous comment. You guys did an awesome job at your cosplays! And as for swords I am lucky unlike Gandalf, Radagast doesn't have a sword (yet anyways). Just a question though, did you have to go to the cosplay desk at the start of the convention to have it checked upon by the staff there? I read on the forum that all props must be taken to the cosplay desk at the start of the convention to be checked. I will have to go there anyway because I plan on entering the masquerade but I am unsure.

lol, cheers took me months to do all 4 costumes, ended up doing another 4 this year. I didn't go to the cosplay desk and nobody said anything, not sure if I should have though. look forward to seeing your costume

Oh thanks that has answered my question enough. It's taken me a few months to get my cosplay together also, and I still have loads to do on it before the convention. Are you going in more Lord of the rings cosplays? And I hope to see your cosplays too! Although I'm only going on the Sunday due to Sylvester McCoy attending only on that day.

I saw you guys and got very excited! :) Didn't get chance to come say hi, but I was extremely happy to see LOTR cosplays :)

L:ooking forward to seeing Radagast (both real and cosplay! )

I saw you guys and got very excited! :) Didn't get chance to come say hi, but I was extremely happy to see LOTR cosplays :)

L:ooking forward to seeing Radagast (both real and cosplay! )

Haha thank you! I was actually lucky enough to get a picture with them, but I myself didn't go in cosplay last year as it was my first convention. I'm looking forward to this cosplay as it is my first one and it is quite a challenge, but more importantly meeting Radagast himself! :D I love Sylvester McCoy!

• 1 month later...