Memories of SM events

:help:

I am doing my final dissertation for my degree on photographs and memories, and I would like to know what other people think.

Would you remember the event as clearly as you do, if you did not have the photograph?

or do you think you would have forgotton or not seen things (details), or noted them, if you did not have the photograph?

(collectormania and LFCC memories wanted as I have used mine as an example, but just general thoughts wanted too)

Thanx for your help

Naomi

:P

Intrestesting choice. What is the title of your dissertation? Want to think about this for a bit but would say that my imediate thoughts are that memories can connect directly with emotions where as the photo just genrates a recollection/thought of a past event.

Said it was just a thought but I will get back to you.

my title is:

Help or hindrance - Photograph verses memory

My question is:

Do Photographic images really help us to remember our memories of times, places and people, or do they in fact become our memories, and write over the little we did remember? If the latter is the case, is it a problem, or are photographic images better than the memories themselves? and would we remember it anyway without the photograph?

Thanx for your help

• Moderators

Because my dad used to own a photographic development shop when I was a child, until I was about 15 or so I think, I've always been brought up to take photos anywhere and everywhere that I go. While I will always have my own memories, it's nice to have the photos to show to my friends and family who were not there to experience what I did, and just to show them what I did. Obviously sometimes memories can fade a little, and so there is that little moment stuck in time in a small picture that will hopefully never fade. It's the same with videos really, I like to have those to watch over again and they help to jog my memory I find. I've never found that they 'write over' my memories, they are just one way of 'storing' my memories I guess, along with in my own mind. I like to have something to show from my experiences.

Yeah, I agree with that. After every convention I go to (or any event in my life in fact) I put all the photos in to an album in an attractive way along with my tickets or any other soveniers that are possible to put into an album. I think its a great way to record your memories.

It tends to be that, although you have your own memories, the photos help you recapture how you felt on the day and help keep your memories alive. You always have a great album to look through to remeber the day, and to show to your family and friends. I remember reading a quote from Alex Garland's 'The Beach' about how the lead charactor (Richard) never takes any photographs because he believed they distort your memories and they create a superficial memory of the day. I don't agree with that. I mean how many memories of London Film and Comic Con are you going to be able to recall when you're 80 years old, without the aid of your photos???

you know... i have thought a lot about this sort of thing for a while now. just lately i have been really obessed with getting photos and silly souvenirs... like my life needs to be documented for it to have been real.

for me i think it is more about having something tangible, something to hold onto, because memories do fade or exaggerate. I talk to my friends about collectormania and lfacc a lot and i dont know how many times i have heard my self say... "i had forgotten about that"

The memory is a very stange and complicated thing.. i will never understand why i remember exactly where i was and how i found out about September 11th and yet i have trouble remembering what i said to a guest just minutes before.

so i guess photos do help. and in a way they can make things less painful... if that makes any sense. there is no doubt in your mind that this special moment happened because it is there for you and everyone else to see.

Thanx for your help guys.

more opinions would be helpful if anyone elce has anything to say.

Just to let you know, I may be quoting you within my essay, if that is ok with you. I will be crediting it to your forum names unless you want me to put your real name or keep you annonimos. unless you state otherwise I will assume you are fine with me quoting you.

Thanx again for your help

Naomi

:P

At work we use photos as part of reminiscence work with older people and it can prove helpful to trigger memories. It is believed that we never actually forget anything but loose the ability to recall that information and so the use of the photo can be very powerful ( just like a piece of music, smell of cooking etc.). Anyway…

I enjoy taking the odd photo at LFCC and collectormania and certainly the couple of pictures I have had taken with celebs are very special to me. Looking at them always brings a smile to my face and helps me back to the events. However, to me it just a way of unlocking the memories of that day and in doing I can connect emotionally to how I felt on the day. I do not believe that photos will distort my memories of the day (queuing in the cold, seeing the ghostbuster coffee chap, spending to much autographs, rubbish food) and if I lost them then what have I actually lost? Only the ability to show others.

If I were to explain to others what these conventions mean to me (oh dear sounds way to geeky and certainly not meant to) then photos whilst helpful would be totally ineffective. For me photos just do not tap into the emtions.

Sorry very muddled.

Nev.

To be honest, NO photo could capture the moment when my son met Andy Serkis* - sure I have the picture now but I count that only as a reminder of that day and also proof for him to show his friends that he wasn't lying about the encounter!

I think memories are precious things which we store in our own minds, I saw it differently from my son and he will have different memories from mine. Yes, a video/photo CAN capture a moment, but I believe that that precise moment belongs to the person taking the photo - when you look at the photo/video clip you see the image through the eyes of the capturer as they would have seen it. This can be good for a long lasting memory that can be shared, but no-one can take away how you saw it all taking place.

Everyone is an individual, but I am glad I have the moment to share with others that couldn't attend - thought my own thoughts on how great that day was for me can never be put into words!

*At the recent LFACC.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks guys, I have quoted some of you within my essay, which I have just finnished, yay!!!!!

I will try to let you know if and when I get my mark back for this (it may just be included in my overall Degree)

thanxs again, your replied have been invalube for my primary research.

Naomi

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Well done!