From the film crew

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay...from the ignorant American (yet again), what is PAL?  I'm assuming it's an English system, but how would one get ahold of a DVD player with PAL capailities?

BTW right now I'm at Heathrow Airport waiting for my flight to depart, they have little internet cafe thigs where you can get 15 mins for £1, amazing eh?

Cheers!

Okay, take a look at: http://www.aaronlawrence.com/scripts/ALCst...nk=videoformats

That gives a brief explanation for those not wanting pages of technobabble...

As I said before though, if you have a DVD drive in a PC or Mac, the PAL/NTSC issue is irrelevant, as they don't use scanlines to show the video footage.

It's common parlance over here to refer to NTSC as "Never Twice the Same Colour" as it's generally very poor in comparison to PAL. Just for fun, though... :lol:

Most good multi-region dvd players can play both formats..we have PAL in Australia but the one where I'm staying is a multi-region and plays NTSC just fine.

Ok first Mark I am officially offended. It appears that I was the ONLY person not filmed by the two of you. How can that be? Surely 8 hours of stamping hands would make riviting viewing. Seriously on Saturday all the action was at the exit.

Secondly if you want to see an energetic 40 year old you need look no further than Debbie who was a runner at the weekend. She's got 10 years on me and more energy than I could summon up on so little sleep.

Sooo Mark, what will you bribe me with in order to stop me telling people about the rather interesting pictures I found of you wearing skin tight trousers and sporting a fab mullet?

*raises single eyebrow*

Heh heh.. he is sooo gonna hate me for this!

Yes, but I will love you for it!

Sooo Mark, what will you bribe me with in order to stop me telling people about the rather interesting pictures I found of you wearing skin tight trousers and sporting a fab mullet?

Mullet?!

Hmm, don't remember that one, but that doesn't rule it out. I've had more haircuts than anyone I know, and worn more bizarre clothing than most. Some of it came under the heading of "obscene", I think. Hehehe...

Ah, the joys of the 80s glam-rock period... <wistful smile>

Go on, post the damn thing, I've undoubtedly got far, far worse images of me (both stills and on video...). I'm sure the other interested parties could do with a laugh! ;-)

But if it's bribes you're really after, email me and let me know your price...

("Don't make me naughty. You wouldn't like me when I'm naughty...")

Most good multi-region dvd players can play both formats..we have PAL in Australia but the one where I'm staying is a multi-region and plays NTSC just fine.

Sadly, it's not always as easy going the other way. US DVD player manufacturers pretty much ignore PAL and the compatibility therewith. All the rest of us chickens think it's a good idea to have both, hence the players that do that.

DON'T, whatever you do, confuse multi-region with multi-standard. They are completely different things. Most PAL DVD decks will output an NTSC signal straight to your TV. If your TV is not all that new, the audio will come through fine, but the image will probably be a hideous, murky black & white version.

Region encoding has nothing to do with the type of signal generated for the image. It's merely a (half-assed) attempt to restrict certain sales of certain DVDs to geographical areas. The players have an inbuilt code that is checked against that of the disc to ensure that it is within its legal region.

Multi-region players will enable you to play region 1 (US) DVDs in region 2 (Europe), for example. I could go on, but it'd undoubtedly bore you all to tears... ;-)

Rachie, if you want to watch PAL DVDs in the US, either use a computer with a built-in DVD drive (computer monitors don't use field interlacing, so PAL/NTSC standards don't apply), or get hold of a multi-STANDARD DVD deck, that converts the PAL signal to something that an NTSC TV set will understand.

Hmm I'll go for the bribery... much more fun and I like naughty.

Plus I'm too lazy to post pictures, I just like teasing.

On a more decent note, have you guys been asked to do any footage for C5? Just so I know whether to run fast when I see you guys coming!

Not been asked so far, as it rather depends on how this one goes. It's a bit of a tester to see who, and how many people, would like something like this as a reminder of the event, and for some of those who couldn't make it.

I'll root out some old piccies for you at some stage. Depends how strong your stomach is, really... ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
Hmm I'll go for the bribery... much more fun and I like naughty.

Plus I'm too lazy to post pictures, I just like teasing.

On a more decent note, have you guys been asked to do any footage for C5? Just so I know whether to run fast when I see you guys coming!

Not been asked so far, as it rather depends on how this one goes. It's a bit of a tester to see who, and how many people, would like something like this as a reminder of the event, and for some of those who couldn't make it.

I'll root out some old piccies for you at some stage. Depends how strong your stomach is, really... ;-)

Ooo, Piccies, any naughty ones :D ?

Wow, I can't believe I just asked that. Damn Hormones :lol: .

Cheers!

SIZE = 4] Ooo, Piccies, any naughty ones :huh: ?

Wow, I can't believe I just asked that. Damn Hormones :P .

Cheers![/size]

Email me off-list for some piccies, but try to keep the hormones in check, I ain't that cute! LOL

hey mark,

It's Carolyn remember i emailed you about some summer work....just wanted to say hi...see ya at C5 :P

Well i emailed the company Dysfunction, think i have the right guy... :huh:

Edited by Earendil

SIZE = 4] Ooo, Piccies, any naughty ones :D ?

Wow, I can't believe I just asked that.  Damn Hormones :wub: .

Cheers![/size]

Email me off-list for some piccies, but try to keep the hormones in check, I ain't that cute! LOL

Oh You're so modest :D !

I would email you off-list, except there is one tiny little problem. I don't have your email :P .

Cheers!

Oh You're so modest :jason: !

I would email you off-list, except there is one tiny little problem. I don't have your email :unsure: .

Cheers!

Weeeell, it's in my profile, I think, but here you go:

riddley@btinternet.com

hey mark,

It's Carolyn remember i emailed you about some summer work....just wanted to say hi...see ya at C5 :P

Well i emailed the company Dysfunction, think i have the right guy... :o

Yep, it's me, the same guy.

See you on the Monday (that's the only day I'll be at C5). :lol: