Does anyone know how to speak elvish

tigger1234

well..im learning at the momment_------this is the website i got the translations from.... www.grey-company.org/Circle/language/phrase.htm

its has lots of words on the sight but i dont know if they are right...but it would be cool if quite a few of us learnt it!!!

its a wierd question...but i want to know who can :P

Im learning it in the Tolkien Society at Uni!!!! It is a 'real' language developed by Tolkien, as he was a linguist, and has a history a language and a set of linguistic tools to be used in pronunciation.

A Elbereth Gilthoniel,

silivren penna miriel

o menel aglar elenath!

Na-chaered palan-diriel

o galadhremmin ennorath,

Fanuilos, le linnathon

nef aear,si nef aearon!

its like a story, they sing it in the book. it means something along the lines of

O elbereth Star holder

your white glitter shines down like jewels

from the orogin of the glory.

To remote distanse you have gazed

from the trees in the middle

Fanuilos, we sing/chant to you

On this side of the great ocean

Edited by simone

sometimes the elvish is different cos of the two different dialogues... but there are some crappy sites out there! beware!

you mean the 2 forms of Eldarin? Sindarin (grey-elven) and Quenya ( high-elven)?

err...yeah thats what Eldarin mean isn't it? Elven Language?

sometimes the elvish is different cos of the two different dialogues... but there are some crappy sites out there! beware!

you mean the 2 forms of Eldarin? Sindarin (grey-elven) and Quenya ( high-elven)?

err...yeah thats what Eldarin mean isn't it? Elven Language?

yes! the 2 are developed differently by Tolkien, so their forms are often disimilar

well.. its all beyond me!! i hated languages at school... and as much as i would like to speak elvish i would never be able to learn it! sounds very complicated to me!! but then it also sounds very beautiful!

it is difficult to learn- u have to have an ear for languages-but it is so musical and a pleasure to speak.