T-shirt

chair89

Well, technically no, not really. If you are using an imge that is trademarked then that image belongs to the owner and cannot be used without their express permission:

Trademark: a device (as a word) pointing distinctly to the origin or ownership of merchandise to which it is applied and legally reserved to the exclusive use of the owner as maker or seller.

However in real terms I highly doubt that there will be anyone at the event who represents Atlantis's owners who will prosecute you for making/wearing it. :drunk:

Where you would potentially get in trouble is if other people liked your tshirt, asked you where you got it, and you offered to have some made and sell them. Then you would be in trouble if MGM (or whoever owns it now) found out.

Well, technically no, not really. If you are using an imge that is trademarked then that image belongs to the owner and cannot be used without their express permission:

Trademark: a device (as a word) pointing distinctly to the origin or ownership of merchandise to which it is applied and legally reserved to the exclusive use of the owner as maker or seller.

However in real terms I highly doubt that there will be anyone at the event who represents Atlantis's owners who will prosecute you for making/wearing it. :wub:

Where you would potentially get in trouble is if other people liked your tshirt, asked you where you got it, and you offered to have some made and sell them. Then you would be in trouble if MGM (or whoever owns it now) found out.

i know using the gate symbol for selling is against the law, what about if i was using it for a campaign, i know its not right using it for anything, but in real term,coul d i use it.

I really don't know the ins and outs of copyright and trademark law but as I said I would think that technically, no you can't use a trademarked image without the express permission of the owner.

However it's extreemly unlikely that you would be prosecuted for using it, you probably have more chance of winning the lottery.

Plenty of people make their own pictures and stuff using images from shows and have never been in trouble for it. At the end of the day though, no one can give you a guaruntee.

Depends on how litigious the company who own the mark are and how widely spread the material is. If it's something on the internet and you don't have permission, it's far more likely that you'd get prosecuted than for a few photocopied handouts say. You asked if you could use it 'in real terms' - providing you're aware that technically you're using it without permission or knowledge, go for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum44/763.htm

Both refer to US law but I would think you'd get the gist from them.

Hi, I own a t-shirt and corporate wear company and can tell you that it is in breach of copyright and the image cannot be used without the owners consent. However as already stated the chance of prosecution is small because of the event itself. I would just point out that a professional artwork screen for printing is quite costly unless done in an amature way.

Hi, I own a t-shirt and corporate wear company and can tell you that it is in breach of copyright and the image cannot be used without the owners consent. However as already stated the chance of prosecution is small because of the event itself. I would just point out that a professional artwork screen for printing is quite costly unless done in an amature way.

so Artwork is ok.

so Artwork is ok.

If it's original and doesn't incorporate trademarked or copyrighted stuff, yes. If not, the other posts here explain it. Muffin was pointing out the cost of having professional standard artwork produced rather than saying you can just use what you want.