The Wrestler - Movie

Snow Drop 6:15

In a brilliant film mirroring alot of 1980's wrestlers who have fallen on hard times, this is a compelling drama charting the life of an 80's wrestling icon who has fallen upon hard times, wrestles in small high school gymnasiums and works in a local deli.

Those long time or big grappling fans will know of how this has been in the news in recent years as the WWE owner Vince McMahon has offered former employees of the WWE/WWF who have addiction problems etc free rehab following a number of high profile passings of people like The British Bulldog and Eddie Guerrero, and the double murder/suicide of Chris Benoit. It has also been brought up in the current Main Event Mafia/Frontline feud in TNA, and the HBK/JBL storyline in the WWE.

Mickey Rourke was not first choice for this role, but it seems his eventual casting may have been the making of this film. Tipped for major nominations and potential awards, this film pulls no punches and delves into the deep and seedy side of High School Gymnasium events where wrestlers wrestle in order to afford to live and eat.

Sources within the WWE, and close to the Director of the film, have suggested that Vince McMahon was not best pleased that the film "broke the myth" of wrestling - despite the fact the "myth" was blown away years ago. It is alleged that Vince offered some harsh words to the Director about this aspect of the film, but is not quoted as saying the film wasn't any good.

Having seen this at a private viewing earlier on this week, I would recommend this film to anyone who likes a good drama. It should appeal to fans of Mickey Rourke and of wrestling who know the backstage stuff as much as what we see on television.

It is due for cinematic release on January 16th.

Edited by Snow Drop 6:15

Got to see the movie this weekend and I must say I was very impressed. The quality of acting was amazing, Mickey Rourke delivers a performance which I think is Oscar level. Would highly recommend this for any wrestling and even non wrestling fans.

• 3 weeks later...

ERW was great was the daughter of Randy The Ram, but Rourke makes this film. The fact he was only drafted in was because the director Darren Aronofsky wanted him over the originally cast Nic Cage.

It is great that Rourke and Tomei are up for Oscars, but a shame the film or main song aren't up for Oscars.