Just a question...

liamsgirl

It means it will play American and english dvd's

Not necessarily American DVDs. It means your DVD player has the ability to play dics encoded with both a NTSC or PAL signal but doesn't mean it will play all regions. Eg. it may play Region 2 NTSC Japan but not Region 1 NTSC USA.

Check what region it is and think about where you bought it and then do a serch online to see if it will play all regions. If not then see if there's a hack code for it.

• Showmasters Admin

It has nothing to do with Region encoding and so does not mean it's multi-region on or able to play US Region 1 discs. It is referring to the UK and US TV signal types. TV, VHS tape and DVDs etc in the US in encoded with a system called NTSC and in the UK we use an encoding system called PAL.

If I saw this in a manual or on my DVD player I'd be 99% sure it meant that the DVD player can output an NTSC encode DVD as PAL or a PAL encoded DVD as NTSC.

The reason for having this facility on the DVD player is that some older UK TVs can not accept an NTSC signal (and older US TVs can't accept PAL). You will likely find a setting in the menu system called "Output Signal" that can be set to PAL, NTSC or AUTO. It just means you can set the DVD player to ALWAYS output one signal type if your TV needs it.

If your TV can accept both (most TVs made in the last 5-10 years can) then you are better off leaving it on Auto as the DVD players conversion of NTSC to PAL or PAL to NTSC will never be great and you'll get a better picture by leaving in on AUTO and not having the DVD player convert it.

you'll know if your TV can't accept NTSC if you try an NTSC disc and it comes out black and white and very flickery.

You may being thinking what's the point in having a DVD player output NTSC DVDs as PAL if it can't play Region 1 US discs. We as Nicky has said Japan uses Region 2 the same as us but they encode in NTSC so you maybe playing a Japanese disc or there are some US and Japanese discs encoded in NTSC that are Region 0. They are usually documentaries and the like. Region 0 discs can play on ANY region DVD player.

Edited by Too Tall

• Showmasters Admin

Thanks guys.

Its a new Samsung TV and home cinema. I found the specs on the net but wasn't entirely sure what it meant...

Samsung

Should I just try a US DVD?

If you have one or can borrow one it's worth a try. Where did you buy the Samsung from?

I looked it up on Amazon.co.uk and a few other sites and they all say it's multi-region but some retailers, including Amazon, have the machines modified already as was the case for my Sony (who are very anti-multi-region).

You're best bet is to try it but make sure you set the player to "Auto" as Too Tall said so it can detect that the disc is NTSC or PAL.

If you have one or can borrow one it's worth a try. Where did you buy the Samsung from?

Currys. Never again though! Thank you so much for your help TooTall and nicky, it really is appreciated. :crying:

I will ask around to see if anyone has a disc I can borrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys.

Its a new Samsung TV and home cinema. I found the specs on the net but wasn't entirely sure what it meant...

Samsung

Should I just try a US DVD?

The DVD region can be changed

http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/info/multiregion/

Edited by Dinobore