Catherine Tate full time companion on who next year!

Fader

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's a fight in here....

oh I am The Doctor by the way.....

DOC4.jpg

From my point of view it isn't a fight, but rather trying to point out to someone that they continually move the goal posts and mis quote me trying to get over their obvious dislike for Rose Tyler and plain to see jealousy of Billie Piper being successful. I am sure that I will get a rebuttle, but we are all allowed an opinion.

By the way..cracking photo dude.

Now, now. Be civil.

I'm perfectly capable of admitting I'm wrong.

Of course you're allowed an opinion. Everyone is.

They're all shiny and stuff. =D

Why would I be jealous of Ms Piper? She deserves her success, as she's worked hard for it.

After all, it's not her fault that Rose occasionally came across as annoying.

Every companion has their moment of that, as does the Doctor, and it's rarely ever the actor's fault - tends to come down to whoever wrote the scripts, really.

My 'dislike' of Rose is actually fairly mild. She's still classed amongst my favourite companions for numerous reasons... the scene in Fear Her where she finds the Isolus Pod springs to mind.

I do love them all, despite the fact that I do criticise them for their annoyances and their stupidities.

Even Romana gets that, just so you know.

Sorry for any misunderstandings and all that.

Because misunderstandings are an incredibly bad thing.

Also: That's a rather good likeness of the Doctor.

Have an internet cookie for it, as I can't give you a real one...

Whatever you say, Mr Jones. Whatever you say.

*valiant attempt to re-rail topic, because it's rather off-track right now*

NOW THEN.

Catherine Tate as a companion.

Let us debate what she might do or things that we have heard she might do.

Because speculation is oftentimes good in this fandom.

Whatever you say, Mr Jones. Whatever you say.

Haruka's comments above: I was actually paying you a compliment. So, the "whatever you say" comment is a tad unneeded.

Getting back on track: As regards getting back on track, I don't think this topic ever went off track. It is a typical string where people with views air them.

Companion Tate: From the little titbits offered up by RTD, Donna will be a stubborn companion who contacts him out of desperation for help. It is suggested that she will be as much of a thorn in his side, as someone who will help him. I think the term he used was "a bit of a moaner".

Speculation: The fandom will continue to be split with half being in the corner of Donna, and half not liking the rumoured changes. Many people I know are split into these two camps. If anything, the viewing figures for this coming series will be higher as we are entering the unknown. The first 3 to 4 episodes will determine whether the viewing public stay with this series, or they leave it in droves because they expect Tate to be in comedic mode. This was similar to Billie Piper's first series. At the end of the day, with Tate only signed up for one series at the moment - something confirmed by BBC - it will be interesting to see if Tate works her socks off to make Donna an integral part of Whovian Legacy.

Edited by AJ Jones

About that. It's just that "you fail to disappoint" is a phrase of varied meaning.

T'internet fails at getting across meanings.

Sorry 'bout that.

Anyway.

I'm sure a few of us have seen the Daily Star's talk about the Series four finale.

Ian Levine - who correctly told the fandom a while back about the show's 2009 'problem', a few months before it appeared on the Doctor Who site - has said that it's true.

It should be an interesting finale, if Ian's got his facts right again.

The computer and myself feel all dirty now. The Daily Star. I need another shower.

Ian Levine is not what I would call a "safe source" as he has caused much controversy in the past. But, if the series four finale is to go forward then there will be a fair amount of leg work needed to set it up. None more so than explaing the return of the Tylers from a dimension the Doctor said she couldn't return from - unless I saw a differently worded episode to everyone else.

I knew some time ago that Davros was back, but the 2009 issue was common knowledge even before Levine opened his mouth again! RTD have indicated that, were he to stay on past season 4, that he would need a break to recharge. I found it utterly hilarious that TV gossips continue to suggest season 4 will be RTD's last as he has already stated that he will do season 5, with a view to 2 more after that.

The thing with RTD's Who is that he has set the bar so high that he has to go higher each season. The strong rumour for Season 5 is a multi Doctor story arc. If Season 4 ends with a multi companion story arc, there is only one way to go.

And Yes, I do not like Ian Levine.

Edited by AJ Jones

The Daily Star and The Sun are the scourge of the world, but they have been right about a number of things.

They reported Kylie Minogue being in the Christmas special way before it was announced, but they're also full of incredibly stupid things - like Britney Spears and similar stuff.

Mr Levine is honestly quite irritating at times.

I just take his word with a pinch (or truckload) of salt. For now, at least.

And to be honest, I'd actually never heard the 2009 rumour before he said it, which was around November last year.

As for escaping the parallel universe, we have to remember that the Doctor has been wrong in the past.

There's always a way out of seemingly unescapable things, even when it dissolves into sheer plot convenience.

And about multi-Doctor stories...

Peter Davison has apparently been drafted in to record some things as the Fifth Doctor.

The source is Sylvester McCoy, which is different...

The Daily Star and The Sun are the scourge of the world, but they have been right about a number of things. They reported Kylie Minogue being in the Christmas special way before it was announced.

And both got that information from other sources. The first to advertise Kylie's appearance was David Tennant who let it slip in an interview. Days later the Sun and Star printed it as an exclusive.

Mr Levine is honestly quite irritating at times.

Only at times? I detest people who try to take credit for the work of others which he has done on so many occasions.

And to be honest, I'd actually never heard the 2009 rumour before he said it, which was around November last year.

Late Summer 06 there were rumours circulating, once again, that David would be leaving for other work.

As for escaping the parallel universe, we have to remember that the Doctor has been wrong in the past. There's always a way out of seemingly unescapable things, even when it dissolves into sheer plot convenience.

In the realm of Sci-Fi, continuity often goes to pot. But, with the involvement of Davros and he Daleks, we could see the re-emergence of how the Daleks returned at Canary Wharf. So, there is a possible and plausible explanation. I just hope that RTD does it well.

And about multi-Doctor stories...Peter Davison has apparently been drafted in to record some things as the Fifth Doctor.

PD has already filmed a Children In Need Special with DT.

I knew some time ago that Davros was back

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I was spoiler free until I read this here. Could you put "spoiler alert" next time so I know not to read anything I don't want to know before the series airs?

I knew some time ago that Davros was back

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I was spoiler free until I read this here. Could you put "spoiler alert" next time so I know not to read anything I don't want to know before the series airs?

My apologies. As this has been covered in numerous main stream TV and print media, I thought it was pretty much common knowledge.

I accept your apology. I've deliberately avoided reading the tabloids in the hope of remaining spoiler free, but it's very hard to achieve - I ended up knowing about the return of the Master last season, though I didn't realise about Derek Jacobi so that was a real surprise!

To have missed this announcement you have been very lucky until recently. It was on the TV news as well. I must admit that I missed The Master announcement/rumours as I was out of the loop internet/newspapers wise from July 06 to May 07. It made it that bit more special, and even more so when John Simm turned up.

Not wanting to spoil things, but the Tardis gets pimped outby Xhibit this series :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

I can understand WHY they are bringing the character Donna back even if I personally don't want it. It was ok on a one off episode but I find it hard to see how it can work for a whole series. I am happy to be proved wrong and it won't stop me watching Doctor Who, if only for the hope that her character will soften to how she was at the end of The Runaway Bride. Her character was a refreshing change to Rose but I'll find it hard to stand her yelling and sometimes, over acting. I want her to play a more serious character, yes with some outbursts for comical value but a more serious approach, IMHO, would be well appreciated.

If you look at The Runaway Bride objectively you can see why her character was quite rude, moany etc because that would be a lot to deal with any day let alone a wedding day. Especially after finding out that her fiance didn't actually like her at all. So her reactions can be excused. There is potential to expand her character with more toned down reactions. But I guess we all have to wait for the next series to find out.

I had the same misgivings about Freema as well. TBH I really disliked her in most of the episodes but at the end of the series, especially the last episode, I did warm to her a lot. She came into her own as a character, strong and independant. I can hope for the same to happen to Donna

And as for the rumours that there won't be any more series after series 4, BBC have announed that in 2010 there will be series 5 and in 2009 there will be 3 feature length specials with David Tennant. After that it's guesswork but there is a good chance that unless the ratings go down considerably during the next 2 series and the specials then it won't be axed after series 5. And Rose coming back? Don't get me wrong, I love the Rose and Doctor relationship but why? They closed the doors on that at the end of the new series 2. I can't see how they can be opened again, unless she's still stuck there but they can communicate through the parallel worlds. I don't know, it would be interesting to see how they get around it but I personally want to the Doctor to move on as he has been doing throughout series 3.

I have also heard rumours that RTD wants Richard Armatige to be the next Doctor after David Tennant. I have no idea about the credibility of these rumours (seeing as I have no idea where they are from yet) but I think he'd make a good addition to the cast.

I always have a little chuckle when someone bings up the next Doctor. Why? Simply because the BBC have moved heaven and earth to make sure David Tennant stays on. They rearranged filming to allow him to act on stage, and this speaks volumes for how valuable he is to them. Viewing figures have been excellent with recent repeats getting more than double the hoped for numbers, and DVD sales are well beyind targets set.

Take into account that RTD has signed on for the 5th series, something he had said he would not do. He had originally said that series 4 would be his last, but he is making the specials and recently agreed to do the 5th series.