Alan Ball - Any News On Comment Regarding Celebrating His Life?

Hi just a quick question, I seem to remember around the time of the sad news of Alan Ball's passing a comment was made regarding something happening at Sports Mania to celebrate his life. I was wondering if there was any news on this?

I take this as a no then??

Hi there,

I do have news on this and have already announced it in the photo shoot thread, but I forgot to post here in this thread too.

The 1966 World Cup team will be doing a photo shoot at the show and a portion of the proceeds will be donated to one of Alan's favourite charities in his memory.

As Alan was originally to attend the event and the photo shoot I felt it would be nice to remember him in this way.

Mark :YAHOO:

Cheers for that Mark, I did spot the photo shoot but didn't read through it all because I had met those guests previously. Just a though Jimmy Greaves was part of the 1966 squad wouldn't it be ideal to have him with the line-up? Granted he didn't play that game but he was part of the team.

Cheers for that Mark, I did spot the photo shoot but didn't read through it all because I had met those guests previously. Just a though Jimmy Greaves was part of the 1966 squad wouldn't it be ideal to have him with the line-up? Granted he didn't play that game but he was part of the team.

He played in all the group stage games, but due to injury was replaced in the quater finals by Geoff Hurst and the rest is history.

Yeh I know, I just thought it would be a nice touch to have him there and perhaps as many of the squad for the tournement. The likes of Ron Flowers hasn't done an event like this although he was a member of the squad and a good player in his time.

:lol:

Yeh I know, I just thought it would be a nice touch to have him there and perhaps as many of the squad for the tournement. The likes of Ron Flowers hasn't done an event like this although he was a member of the squad and a good player in his time.

Unfortunately it is only the eleven that are remembered, the rest of the squad being:

Jimmy Greaves, John Connelly, Ron Springett, Peter Bonetti, Jimmy Armfield, Gerry Byrne, Ron Flowers, Norman Hunter, Terry Paine, Ian Callaghan, and George Eastham.

Out of these John Connelly played against Uruguay and Terry Payne played against Mexico and Jimmy Greaves played against Urugauy, Mexico and France, as you probably know.

I must admit it would be a nice touch, and also respectful to have Greavesie join the rest of his team mates, especially as it is billed as World Cup winning Squad reunion.

But saying that, it really is dependant on ow Jimmy feels about it.

He may not want to do it, but it would be nice to know if he was asked.

I have them all on my finals programme myself personally had a photo taken with greaves, Alan Ball, Gordon Banks, Geoff Hurst & Martin Peters it is one of my fav pics.

I think if another event is held that they should try and get the rest of the squad. They do attract interest and would be great to see them along side everyone else.

Just think if it wasn't for Greaves injury Hurst wouldn't of played and I hate to say we might not even be having this convo..........Its a funny old game

I have them all on my finals programme myself personally had a photo taken with greaves, Alan Ball, Gordon Banks, Geoff Hurst & Martin Peters it is one of my fav pics.

I think if another event is held that they should try and get the rest of the squad. They do attract interest and would be great to see them along side everyone else.

Just think if it wasn't for Greaves injury Hurst wouldn't of played and I hate to say we might not even be having this convo..........Its a funny old game

Don't know about a funny old game, I think it used to be a better old game, and yes I agree it would be great to have a full squad reunion, you can even stretch it to the original list of 40 players, as there were some big names of the late 60's early 70's included.

Personally, I think there was something magical about that era of football, it was exciting watching the likes of Pele, Cryff, Best, Charlie Cooke and George Armstrong.

They were definately more skillful than todays players, especially when they came up against players like Chopper Harris, Norman Hunter and Tommy Smith, to name but three, and there was none of this not allowed to tackle from behind etc.

Will you be having your photo taken with the team?

I am not sure at the moment, I have met all of the '66 guests that have been announced at various stages to get my World Cup '66 Finals programme signed and have had various group photos with them all. I want to meet the more rarer ones like Bobby Moore and co..

I agree it was a better game when players had real skill and not just a media juganought like the players of today.

I want to meet the more rarer ones like Bobby Moore and co..

I'm sure this is a slip up, since Bobby died of cancer in 1993, still a gentleman to the end.

Never meet him but saw him play for against Chelsea afew times and also for England, when tickets used to be reasonably priced and available to fans.

I don't know if I am allowed to add this link, but is a tribute site for Bobby. http://www.bobbymooreonline.co.uk/.

Will never forget the 1970 Mexico finals, he was good for 66 but he was at the top of his game for these finals.

Who knows if Bobby Charlton had not been substituted Beckenbaur would not have got into the game and who knows could have been Brazil v England World cup final, and perhaps another World Cup winning squad reunion?

I want to meet the more rarer ones like Bobby Moore and co..

I'm sure this is a slip up, since Bobby died of cancer in 1993, still a gentleman to the end.

Never meet him but saw him play for against Chelsea afew times and also for England, when tickets used to be reasonably priced and available to fans.

I don't know if I am allowed to add this link, but is a tribute site for Bobby. http://www.bobbymooreonline.co.uk/.

Will never forget the 1970 Mexico finals, he was good for 66 but he was at the top of his game for these finals.

Who knows if Bobby Charlton had not been substituted Beckenbaur would not have got into the game and who knows could have been Brazil v England World cup final, and perhaps another World Cup winning squad reunion?

Yep your right that was a slip I meant Bobby Charlton (Doh!) Although I have got Bobby Moores autograph as well and it is my favourite autograph in my collection.

[Yep your right that was a slip I meant Bobby Charlton (Doh!)

Definately one of the greats.

As far as I am concerned he will always be Englands greatest striker.

How many of todays strikers could score goals or kick a ball as hard as Bobby, when using an old leather football that only had dubbing for protection!

Imagine what he could do with todays lightweight balls.

My fondest memory is going to see Chelsea v Man Utd for Bobby's last game for Man U.

One of the saddest sights ever was seeing Greavsie on the pitch at wembley after the world cup final - he looked like the lonliest man on the planet. It's a shame that Mr Hurst was knighted because of his 3 goals (did he do anything else for English football?? - genuine question as I'm not old enough to remember the 6o's)) yet Jimmy who was a proven goalscorer for both club and country has always been overlooked. He denies it but the fans still think that missing out on that game was the beginning of Jimmy's battle with booze. A battle that like most others he won. (Jimmy is my dad's hero so I know all about him!)

Most of the 66 squad are very humble and chatty and don't believe they did it without everyones support - however there are 1 or 2 who are ignorant and "up themselves" - I'll let you decide who after meeting them.

One of the saddest sights ever was seeing Greavsie on the pitch at wembley after the world cup final - he looked like the lonliest man on the planet. It's a shame that Mr Hurst was knighted because of his 3 goals (did he do anything else for English football?? - genuine question as I'm not old enough to remember the 6o's)) yet Jimmy who was a proven goalscorer for both club and country has always been overlooked. He denies it but the fans still think that missing out on that game was the beginning of Jimmy's battle with booze. A battle that like most others he won. (Jimmy is my dad's hero so I know all about him!)

Most of the 66 squad are very humble and chatty and don't believe they did it without everyones support - however there are 1 or 2 who are ignorant and "up themselves" - I'll let you decide who after meeting them.

I honestly think that Greavsie probably did more in football, has always scored goals for whoever he played for and at any level.

Hurst did do a lot for England, but I think he will always be bst known for that hat trick, unless you are German and it was only a brace of goals, rather than anything else that followed.

I remember seeing him play in a pro/celebrity charity match back in the late sixties, although everyone else was happy to sign autographs he refused, but m Mother met him, when she was working for Vauxhall dealership, and he was selling insurance and got his autograph then, couldn't really refuse if he wanted the sale.

I know he didn't go down to well when he was Chelsea Manager for a while.

I do, however, have a dilema, I am going to get a shirt signed by the 66 team and am having great difficulty deciding whether to get Jimmy to sign it as well, one half of me says yes because he was part of the squad, but the other half says no because he did not play in the final.

What do you think, and do you thinkhe would sign it anyway?

The simple answer is yes to both questions, he was part of the squad and it was a TEAM effort irrelvent if he played in the final all not each and every player is just as important. I would expect him to be willing to sign it, he signed my '66 programe and posed for photos no problem and out of all of them he has to be one of the nicest guys I have met Roger Hunt is also up there as I have many good chats with him.

To get back to the subject of Alan Ball,

For anyone who lives in or around MK they have just announced a football match at th new stadium

details attached.

Sky is to show coverage from The Alan Ball Memorial Cup this summer.

The event, a co-production between Guerilla productions and sports events company Toast, will feature an England v The World celebrity and legends international charity football match in tribute to Alan Ball MBE, one of England’s 1966 World Cup team, who died earlier this year.

Confirmed England players include Jamie Redknapp, Lee Sharpe, Paul Merson, John Barnes, Graham Le Saux, Matt Le Tissier, as well as celebrities Vernon Kay, JK & Joel, Danny Dyer, Matt Dawson, Ben Cohen and Simon Webbe.

Players for The World include Thomas Brolin (Swedish superstar famous for 94 World Cup), Martin Dahlin (another Swedish great from 94), Dan Petrescu (Romania’s most famous footballer and former Chelsea player), Bruce Grobbelaar, Ian Rush, John Aldridge, Neville Southall (Most capped Welshman of all time) and Gus Poyet (Uruguay and Chelsea).

The game, which will be played at the new Milton Keynes Stadium, will air on July 29 on Sky One. A two-hour programme will include the studio build up followed by the live match. A donation from tickets sold at the gates will be given to the Bobby Moore Fund For Cancer Research UK.

A 'Battle of the Soaps' game will also be played on the day, with Coronation Street, Emmerdale and Hollyoaks stars competing in a 30-minute each-way football match to raise money for the Warwickshire and Northamptonshire Air Ambulance Service