Sky One shut down

ukinvestigator

This is probably old news, but last night people who are using the Virgin Cable services have now lost Sky One.

Here is what the statement says on the Virgin website......

"If you're wondering whats happened to your basic Sky channels, read on to find out more.....

Whats happened to the basic channels?

As you may have heard, we've spent the last few weeks trying to make sure that all of Sky's channels remain on Virgin Media.

But Sky asked us to pay such an unrealistically high price that keeping them would mean asking you to pay the kind of increase that is simply unfair.

We refuse to stand by and see our customers get ripped off.

So thanks to Sky, some of their non-premium channels, like Sky One and Sky News have disappeared from our service.

Freeview customers set to lose channels too

Virgin Media customers are not the only people to feel the brunt of Sky's bullying tactics. Freeview customers are affected, too. Sky announced that it will be removing its channels from the Freeview service before the summer. .....

Worried about losing Lost?

We're planning to add all 3 series of Lost to our revolutionary on demand service. Series 1 and 2 will be available soon and series 3 is coming your way later this year. What's more, since they're all available on demand, they'll be ready for you to watch anytime you like. Watch one, watch them all, back to back – without the ads. ...."

I wonder how much Virgin will charge for their "demand" service and when will this start?

:chair:;):D (my feelings towards Sky at this moment)

Personally I dont think it's such a big deal VM have lost the channels (no pun intended)

Only thing worth watching was perhaps Battlestar, LOST and 24. All of these are available on BitTorrent anyway.

I've been reading quite a few comments on this today and the main point everyone seems to be making is that VM are "in breach" of contract with their customers. Well sorry..NO THEY AREN'T.

It doesn't state anywhere on the contract what channels/tv service you receive... just that you will receive SOME KIND of service. Plus it also clearley states on the contracts that as some channels are privately owned, their availabilty can often change. (I worked for what WAS Telewest) so kinda have 1st hand knowledge of that.

I did find it pretty funny that VM renamed Sky News as Sky SNOOZE on their listings though lol :YAHOO:

Sweet revenge for Sky putting adverts over the cable channels a week ago saying VM are abandoning Sky1 and to come join Sky.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hope everyone got a solution to Sky withdrawing from VM.

I personally had a gripe because I was on a three for thirty pounds offer and when VM took over NTL, I found out by reading the small print that I actually was loosing out on channels BEFORE Sky withdrew.

So a simple telephone call soon had my package changed from "m" to "l" and I was also given the option to quit my contract which had six months remaining with no penalty fee due to the Sky backlash. VM really didn't want all this to happen with Sky, it's just like Sky Sports getting the England games from BBC and making those of us that don't already have Sky Sports yet again pay extra ontop off our licence fee AND subscriptions.

But yet I pay Sky's prices. I like my Sky One, I'd die without my fix of 24, Lost and the Simpsons!! I'm lucky enough to not really be afffected by the war as such, I've got free tv (in my bedroon whoop!) with my broadband and telephone, and I've got Sky downstairs. Some people say I'm mad, some say I'm posh. I just say I'm skint.

Lisa

P.S You may still have time to cancel your contract with VM if you are unhappy, they state you have until the end of March to do so with no penalties, but I think it was the 30th (today) that was the deadline. I also urge you to check you tv package and make sure you have the right size advertised for your price and they changed when VM took over and you may be missing out like I did :-)