How SM can improve the costume contest

menmeryiset

I think the main way SM can improve the contest was by having 2 or 3 judges to judge the contest. The G Mex contest winners were chosen by the crowd so it ended up that those with the most mates in the crowd won.

I think the contest should have taken into account how much work went into the costume, how intricate it was and how like the character the entrant looked, costume wise.

Also i think the costumes should have been judged by the skill that went into them, how much of the costume was made by the entrant and not shop brought, how it was modified(if it was shop brought) and any accessories that made the costume look more like the original.

I personally thought the contest wasn't very well organised. We had to wait while the judge was found and then when he did turn up , he left it to the crowd to judge and didn't seem to know what it was he was supposed to do. Bearing in mind that this is the first one, it went ok! I just wish that the costumes were judged more fairly on the entrants sewing ability and the time that went into making it.

This wasnt the first costume competition, it was the first time that it had been done in Manchester, but thats coz it was the first time we had been there.

The person who was judging is a very busy person at the shows. Due to the nature of his work at the shows it meant it was hard to get him to come and judge, but we dont like to judge ourselves, whilst it may be slightly biased if you have more friends in the crowd, there would have been a great number (and there was) of people in the crowd who were neutral and so asking the crowd to vote is the fairest way and its brings less complaints about the judging.

A

I thought the competition went ok!

One of the competitions that i have been to before was in a very crowded area and my costume got broken as it was a large car i hade made, (i was Kit from Knightrider!) and not all the crowd could see what was going on, at least there was a stage and all entrants got seen!

Also in that one we were rushed out the way for a band!

Some places in this method at G-Mex do need improvement but overall it was a good setting and area as well as most of the method in judging was good!

I would like to congratulate all who entered in this comp as all your costumes looked impressive and had much better sewing than my own!

I must learn to sew better!

Well done all!

Mo

This wasnt the first costume competition, it was the first time that it had been done in Manchester, but thats coz it was the first time we had been there.

The person who was judging is a very busy person at the shows. Due to the nature of his work at the shows it meant it was hard to get him to come and judge, but we dont like to judge ourselves, whilst it may be slightly biased if you have more friends in the crowd, there would have been a great number (and there was) of people in the crowd who were neutral and so asking the crowd to vote is the fairest way and its brings less complaints about the judging.

A

927561[/snapback]

I couldn't see the crowd as I'd taken off my glasses so everything was blurred. but I though the comp was alright.

I agree with Menmeryiset - the 'judging' seemed unfair.

A cosplay competition - or any costume comp - should be judged on the quality of the costumes themselves, on how much work went into them and on how great the similarity to the character portrayed.

To ask the crowd to judge makes it a popularity contest. Surely that is not what was intended? The crowd, by its very nature, was not impartial. People were yelling support for their friends, regardless of costume.

Many entrants went to endless trouble to get their outfits right - planning, buying, sewing and altering until they were able to produce the desired effect.

I cheered loudly for ANYONE who had really worked at their creation - not just for those I knew well.

A judge or judges with some real interest in and experience of cosplay would have been a much better, and fairer, option.

I understand that he was busy but couldn't they have got several less busy people to judge it?? Judging via the crowd is not and was not the fairest way of doing it. Having 2 or 3 judges to choose the best costume would have been a great deal fairer. Saying you don't like to judge yourselves seems like a cop out. Most other costume contests i have seen and read up on have several impartial judges, they are rarely judged by the crowd.

I also cheered for whomever had obviously worked hard on their costume, for that was what the contest was supposed to be for.

A

927561[/snapback]

I think having the crowd judging the costumes was one of the fairest ways to do it. I admitt that I have never entered a costume competition but I do know from experience that most competitions being judged by a panel are the worst as the entrants can feel that the judges are not fair and can be very opinionated(sp?) and in rare cases, sometimes even biased.....whereas a crowd is more likely to be more neutral then a chosen panel.

:unsure: ....Hope that makes sense to everyone else because it did when I thought about it LOL! :D

On the contrary, Kirsty, the crowd can be extremely biased at times! How can judges who have a list of criteria of what to judge on be more biased than a crowd of people friends? Set Judges just know what they are judging on and what they are looking for. There are always going to be people who don't like the outcome of a contest and who will dispute it, that doesn't mean the judges are biased , they are just more impartial than a crowd where it depends on how many friends you have in that crowd with the loudest voices that chooses the winner.

Also when i heard a girl from the crowd saying that the Nurse team didn't deserve to win because they didn't fight on stage, i was appalled!! Was that comment a sign of an impartial, neutral crowd?? I am not saying all the crowd were biased, i am just saying that having several judges who know what they are looking for ,is definately a fairer way of judging the contest than via asking the crowd.

I think having the crowd judging the costumes was one of the fairest ways to do it. I admitt that I have never entered a costume competition but I do know from experience that most competitions being judged by a panel are the worst as the entrants can feel that the judges are not fair and can be very opinionated(sp?) and in rare cases, sometimes even biased.....whereas a crowd is more likely to be more neutral then a chosen panel.

:unsure: ....Hope that makes sense to everyone else because it did when I thought about it LOL!  :D

927857[/snapback]

Edited by menmeryiset

Very true, can see your point there, they could always do what another event did and get maybe a couple of guests to do the judging...I personally think that went down well at the event. Only problem I can see occuring is some people not liking it being judged by set people and then some not liking it being a general crowd vote...as they say you can't please everyone!

I agree about the crowd being biased, they will be of course if they have friends entered!

At another convention I attend the guests judge the fancy dress, which I think is a good idea.

And I agree that the amount of work, similarity to the character etc should be the main factor in winning, but I think the amount of work put into the 'act' should be taken into consideration too. :P

• 4 months later...