University

Alx

When I came to UG open day because im looking to do events they said they almost expected all students on that course to be working at the event, and it was a good way to sort out finances.. they did also mention to rents that people should not have problem getting thru uni financially.. not gd for me tho.. as rents took that as he wont need any cash

A

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get me started on the uni/money topic!!

I'm paying my own tuition fees this year (I did last year as well) and it really annoys me that I'm paying £1150 for 4 lessons a week!! I know it's different for every subject on how many hours you have supervised study a week but I think that they should charge according to how many hours you'd do in a year.

Now I have absolutely no money and I'm not in uni for most of the week. Don't get me wrong, I like having the free time but it's the principle of the whole thing!

I get even madder when lectures and seminars are cancelled for stupid reasons. Last week I only had 1 lesson because my other three were cancelled! ANNOYANCE!

Good luck, the events management would be a good choice

Thanks. I'm hoping to get some work experience somewhere to find out what it's like. Hopefully I can do that in the summer.

im at DeMontfort uni.

i hate it. i want to go home!

Poor you! I applied to DeMonfort to do Performing Arts but I didn't like the atmosphere of the place when I went for an open day. Plus the course that I applied for had drama and dance but no music!! What Performing Arts course leaves out music?!?! It's a travesty!!

Stick it out and it will get better. I was having an absolutely awful time at uni at first but now I love it and don't want to leave! The time will absolutely fly by without you noticing! I can't believe it was nearly 3 years ago that I was packing my stuff and moving to sunny Sheffield!! It's crazy!!

thats a lie, u do need money. My last yr i really struggled and i was still living at home

936993[/snapback]

Yeh I know I wont, but my rents are in a different frame of mind.. Having said that, i got £6500 ready for starting + my student loan whenever I get that done..

A

Don't get me started on the uni/money topic!!

I'm paying my own tuition fees this year (I did last year as well) and it really annoys me that I'm paying £1150 for 4 lessons a week!! I know it's different for every subject on how many hours you have supervised study a week but I think that they should charge according to how many hours you'd do in a year.

Now I have absolutely no money and I'm not in uni for most of the week. Don't get me wrong, I like having the free time but it's the principle of the whole thing!

937116[/snapback]

Look on the bright side - if you're only paying for 4 lessons a week, (lessons? surely you mean lectures?! :lol: ) at least you've got plenty of free time in the week to earn money in paid employment, to cover the costs. I had to pay for my own tuition fees, and as an engineering student we had 20-25 hours of lectures and labs a week plus anything between 10 and 30 hours coursework a week. Not much scope there for earning on the side.

Can't moan though, it was a damn fine education and most of us have done very well out of it.

Thank goodness for scottish tuition fees/payment scheme. I got a tiny little loan of a whooping £25/week to live on - and my rent alone is about £90/week :lol: Trust me when I say you'll develop a good eye for spotting bargains when shopping :lol:

And good luck people that are applying.

But Uni's could argue that tuition fees also cover the costs of using facilities like PC's, Library, Labs etc but then should'nt be called 'tuition' fees plus at Coventry where i went the library was crap and could never get onto a free PC and the labs were always locked!.

Its a bit of a switz which i why im going back in the Autmm :headscratch:

I dont think I could cope if they did it that way, as I dont think I will over use the facilities... I use my own laptop for everything, I shouldn't need the labs as my course shouldnt require it... erm lol

A

i needed to labs especially to do my dissertation and also at cov we had a map library that kept all the scientific journals. and in my final yr they told us we could'nt use them as the university did'nt have some of license/permission to let them out :headscratch:

Good thing i did'nt pay my own fees as i would have been down to the registry office demanding my dosh back lol

• 4 weeks later...

I got a offer from Bangor this week and probably accept it so at least thats all sorted out now. Finding accommodation is gonna be a bit of a pain as i'll have to get private i reckon as UK postgrads don't get first pick.

Anyone live in private halls as i hear that there not that good in terms of price & student welfare.

I've been accepted to Canterbury, Winchester and Northampton.. but i've decided not to go to any of them. I'll probably take a year out then go to Northampton university next year and just defer my entry.

Good luck to everyone <_<

I got a offer from Bangor this week and probably accept it so at least thats all sorted out now. Finding accommodation is gonna be a bit of a pain as i'll have to get private i reckon as UK postgrads don't get first pick.

Anyone live in private halls as i hear that there not that good in terms of price & student welfare.

954077[/snapback]

Bangor as in Wales Bangor?

Have you visited Bangor?I suppose if you don't live in north wales it might be great.

I'am biased...being from a small village 20 mins away

Visiting Nottingham Trent on the 21st well Brakenhurst College.I got worried when ucas sent me a letter saying make a decision before June..I need to visit the places first

Visiting Nottingham Trent on the 21st well Brakenhurst College.I got worried when ucas sent me a letter saying make a decision before June..I need to visit the places first

I was thinking about going there but I'd be going in 2007/2008 depending on if I take a gap year or not...

What course are you looking at? I'm interested in the physical geography one...

I was thinking about going there but I'd be going in 2007/2008 depending on if I take a gap year or not...

What course are you looking at? I'm interested in the physical geography one...

954286[/snapback]

Bangor in Wales!. Im going to visit on the 21st probably stay over the night as it's FAR from me. I'm douing Environmental Forestry there.

I dont really want to go to a big city uni again as i went to cov where the campus was smack in the middle of the city plus bangor seems more my sort of uni with the beach and outdoor sports scene.

Hey another physical geographer in the making!. I had no regrets doing it after hearing all my friends telling me how boring their course were in Business & Law

Hehe yeah I'm mad about physical geography! I'm one of those annoying people you find on the beach enthusiastically informing everyone how stacks, stumps, arches and caves are formed :YAHOO: Ooo yeah and I do physical representations of longshore drift too :poki:

I've had offers from Bristol (UWE) and Bournemouth. I don't know if I'll take either of them though, it depends if I can sort out the issue with fees. :dance:

I'm a British citizen, been out the country against my will for 2 years. . .and they're trying to charge me with international fees. I don't like it. :D

So if I can sort out deferring my entry to next year and paying home fees, I will be going to one of the two. :dance:

I've had offers from Bristol (UWE) and Bournemouth. I don't know if I'll take either of them though, it depends if I can sort out the issue with fees.  :(

I'm a British citizen, been out the country against my will for 2 years. . .and they're trying to charge me with international fees. I don't like it. :WAVE:

So if I can sort out deferring my entry to next year and paying home fees, I will be going to one of the two. :YAHOO:

957173[/snapback]

That's a git to be charge Int. fees. I applied to Bournemouth too waiting for a offer and might accept it if i don't go to Bangor.

Have they said that if you stay in UK for 1 more yr you be paying home fees.

No, I emailed UCAS and the two schools, asking if that year would make any change in fees and I haven't heard anything back yet.

Good luck with Bournemouth mate  :lol:

957292[/snapback]

thx Bling

i think that to be a Home/EU you need to be permanent resident in UK for 3 yrs. can't remember where i read it.

I thought if you had a british passport thus your classed as a bristh citizen/home student as u only been out of UK for 2 yr. Thats stupid regualtions for ya

:whistling:

The thing is, Glasgow Caledonian and Strathclyde have both said I'd be considered a home student. Bristol's said overseas and Bournemouth haven't told me. Surely they should all go by the same regulation system?

Ah well, I won't let it worry me for now. Not much I can do about it! I've written a letter to Bristol, hopefully I'll hear from them soon. Ha! :thumbup:

I tried the same with University of Oklahoma :thumbup:, but they said I was conisdered as an overseas student. Admitedly I moved to UK 14year ago, but still I have all the relevant paper work to cause hell going through customs.. British National with everything I need for US citizenship..

A

That's weird that these uni all say different things. I appied to Strathclyde too by recommendation from a friend so unsure where to go really if i get acceoted to the usin i applied for as they all seem good.