Working out the best costume choice for you

Its a question that I often get asked as I have been costuming since 1992. I thought it might be good to post sugguestions for people who want to get into cosplay or are an cosplayer whos unsure.

Costuming can be fun and a good way to break the ice. When I first started I was nervous but once I got into it I had so much fun that I struggle to go to a convetion without one.

Costumes have been worn at convetions since they all began in 1977. Whether it be uniforns or characters many outfits have been worn over the years. Many people are intriged and want to join in this convetion experience but are sometimes unsure what to wear.

The first question that you should ask yourself is why do you want to wear the costume. What kind of response are you looking for. If you want a good reaction or just quite simplerly want to be part of a con trend.

If you want to create a good response then aim for a character costume. In my experience the more you look like the character the better. Most people look up to a cosplayer who can re-create their favorite character well. E.G My brother as Captain Jack.

If you want people to see you as a fan of a particular show/film. Then choose a costume that clearly shows what you are a fan of. A good example is Star Trek uniforms and Jedi knight costumes.

If you just want to be part of the fun then choose a costume that you will be confortable in.

Things to remeber when selecting a costume.

*How is easy would it be to make (could you make it)

*(if you can't sew) How easy wouold it be to get someone to do it for you.

*will it stand up to the rigours of conventions.

*Will you get to hot in it?

*how easy would it be to get props.

*if you do want to get a good reaction think about what is popular at the time of the event.

*Will it match the theme of the event?

Remeber there are always veteran cosplayers who are always on hand to offer advice. Don't be afraid to ask.

Have fun selecting your costume and make sure its something that you want to wear. If you want help selecting a costume then you are welcome to send an e-mail to any of the cosplyers (myself included). Make sure that you include picture of yourself and what you are interested in.

Any veteran cosplers are welcome to offer more tips if I have missed any.

Thanks for the tips. I've only been cosplaying since March, so I have a grand total of three costumes - lolz. Only two of which I've worn in public (the other I'm wearing at C8).

It's great to see that I'm on the right track, though, and I appreciate that, as it's just given my confidence a little push that it probably needed :lol:

Another good tip is: will it suit you?

I've seen people in tight skimpy things, where it was clear they shouldn't really have done that. Now, you can wear what you want, of course, but be aware of how it looks. People can be stupid about this, both the ones in the costumes and the ones laughing behind peoples backs.

That's a really good point! People can be really harsh, so to skimp, you gotta have one frell of a figure! Leaves me worried about my *sensored* that I'm cosplaying for the x-men group, actually...

Edited by Cher2a

Another good tip is: will it suit you?

I've seen people in tight skimpy things, where it was clear they shouldn't really have done that. Now, you can wear what you want, of course, but be aware of how it looks. People can be stupid about this, both the ones in the costumes and the ones laughing behind peoples backs.

See I would consider myself a veteran cosplayer and I still get that one wrong all the time....I'm chubby and I forget to take this into account when cosplaying and as such people are *always* talking about how fat I am behind my back at cons.

As for tips personally.... don't go for anything too obscure then be upset when people don't recognise it! Another one I really need to learn myself...

A couple of good tips there. I do have the right figure for carring out skimpy costumes but was unconfortable with the reactions and the scars on my skin. So Its a good idea to think how people might react. Having said that. Sometimes people will react to what you don't expect. I didn't think I would have many people reconising the Lucius Malfoy outfit. It was quite suprising how many people did and how many wanted pictures of it.