Statement regarding UIP and Serenity Stall

• Showmasters Admin

We would like to take the opportunity to explain the recent mix-up regarding the lack of Serenity trailer and goodies which we informed people would be available at the UIP stall at London Film and Comic Con. We had been discussing UIP’s promoting of said film at our event, but in the final run up to the show, there was a breakdown in communications. UIP did have everything ready to go for the show, and knowing we would be unavailable to answer the phone at the office, we sent them other contact details, but they didn’t receive them. UIP had previously contracted Sublime to man their stall at the show, where they promoted War of the Worlds, but on the weekend of the show itself Sublime were unable to get hold of UIP (who keep regular office hours) to find out what had happened to the Serenity stuff.

The lack of Serenity promotions was unfortunate, but was not the fault of any individual person or group. No disrespect was intended to the fans on any side, though all involved are sorry they have disappointed Serenity fans, and we and UIP hope to arrange something for October, bigger and better than what was intended for LF&CC, to make up for this time round.

Thankyou very much, SM. I really appreciate this statement, as I was somewhat confused, and as a fan, dissappointed, to say the least.

Definately looking forward to October, now!

No worries, I'm still an avid SM supporter!

Thanks, again.

Thanks for the statement.

Have you sorted out what happened with the screening sign up though, as UIP claim to have known nothing about this?

Cheers

Heather

I would like to second that question, but thanks SM for clearing up the matter of the stall and the trailer. The trailer is now online, hope you have all had a chance to check it out, I thunk it was very Shiny indeed! :o

• Showmasters Admin

I'm just back in the office, after a few days off with flu. Jason is still in the States, and I got here to find that I seem to have infect everyone else here: David is down with the flu too, and there's currently no sign of anyone else, which probably means they got it as well. I have no idea if anyone was in yesterday or the day before, but since this hasn't been answered, I'm guessing probably not. So apologies all round to anyone who has been trying to get hold of us over the last few days.

On the screening sign up, as I personally understand it, that was being sorted by Sublime, the publicity company UIP brought in to promote the movie; when UIP didn't turn up with the other Serenity stuff, and Sublime couldn't get hold of them (regular office hours, no one in the offices on the weekend), I presume Sublime decided to not take names for screenings, as they were unsure what was happening. Another casualty of the communication breakdown, and another thing we are all working on now to make up for at the next show.

Hi,

But why would Sublime be signing people up for screenings that UIP knew nothing about (if this claim is accurate)?

Do you have a contact e-mail address or phone number for Sublime please?

Thanks

Heather

I'm just back in the office, after a few days off with flu. Jason is still in the States, and I got here to find that I seem to have infect everyone else here: David is down with the flu too, and there's currently no sign of anyone else, which probably means they got it as well. I have no idea if anyone was in yesterday or the day before, but since this hasn't been answered, I'm guessing probably not. So apologies all round to anyone who has been trying to get hold of us over the last few days.

On the screening sign up, as I personally understand it, that was being sorted by Sublime, the publicity company UIP brought in to promote the movie; when UIP didn't turn up with the other Serenity stuff, and Sublime couldn't get hold of them (regular office hours, no one in the offices on the weekend), I presume Sublime decided to not take names for screenings, as they were unsure what was happening. Another casualty of the communication breakdown, and another thing we are all working on now to make up for at the next show.

Sorry to hear about the health problems, hope you are all well soon. I don't want to keep picking on you when you are under so much pressure, being understaffed and getting ready for Collectormania 8 and Autographica (by the way, as both of these have October dates, any more clues as to which of them might have a "Serenity" connection?), but as has been pointed out, UIP have always denied any knowledge of your screening promise right from when you first announced, so some more clarification would be nice, thanx. :lol:

• Showmasters Admin

Health is better, thanks, and the office seems to be getting back to normal.

On the other front, we seem to be going round in circles here; any questions to you may have should be redirected to UIP as that is the source of our correspondance, so that we are all saying the same thing, rather than people interpreting it on here and understanding it in different ways. We plan to work closely with UIP in the upcoming months to promote Serenity, and we look forward to sharing that information with you as and when it is official.

I don't see how it's going in circles to ask for Sumblime's contact details and for a open clarification that UIP did authorise these screening signups and I don't see why we should have to contact UIP as it's you we paid our money to.

But I have done as you said and contacted UIP.

Heather

Health is better, thanks, and the office seems to be getting back to normal.

On the other front, we seem to be going round in circles here; any questions to you may have should be redirected to UIP as that is the source of our correspondance, so that we are all saying the same thing, rather than people interpreting it on here and understanding it in different ways. We plan to work closely with UIP in the upcoming months to promote Serenity, and we look forward to sharing that information with you as and when it is official.

Sorry, it does seem we are going round in circles a bit here, but the problem seems to be our misunderstanding each other. You have been very clear as regards the Serenity booth, thanks for your explanation. BUT. This is your original statement regarding the screening:

Showmasters in association with Universal Pictures are proud to announce:

This wonderful opportunity for FIREFLY / SERENITY FANS !!!

Attendees of LFACC3 can register for SPECIAL PREVIEW SCREENINGS of SERENITY !!!

This is great news for fans, and will allow them to be some of the first in the UK to see what is set to be an EXCELLENT movie !!!

You state the deal is with Universal Pictures, not UIP (who have always denied any knowledge of your offer) and definetely nothing to do with Sublime. So why would we contact them for info? Would you rather we contacted Universal directly, or would they also deny knowing anything about it? :firedevil:

• 2 weeks later...

Still holding out for an up-date on this. Please let us know what happened, thanks. Oh, and just in case avyone is interested, me and the Mrs are going to see "Serenity" this Wednesday (10th August) at a Press screening by UIP, SHINY. :D:firedevil::P