Hellcats - Season One - Discussion Spoilers

welcome_earthling

It's actually aired a few episodes all ready.

Here's the official blurb:

HELLCATS is a coming-of-age story about Marti Perkins, a pre-law scholarship student at Lancer University in Memphis, Tennessee. Marti is a hip, edgy townie with working class roots, whose world flips upside down, literally and figuratively, when her scholarship is cancelled and her well-meaning but irresponsible mother, Wanda neglects to inform her.

Broke and out of options, Marti realizes the only way she can stay in school is by repurposing her dormant gymnastic skills to win a place on the Hellcats – Lancer's legendary cheer squad – and the scholarship that comes with it. She had been a rising star in high school gymnastics until she abruptly quit senior year, so Marti knows she has the moves and athleticism needed for the squad. When she rocks the tryouts and "makes the mat," Marti is thrust into a world of camaraderie, backstabbing, and competition that takes place at the intersection of the Memphis music scene, backroom academia, college town politics and big money collegiate sports – in the Deep South, football is God.

Marti's new roommate, Savannah Monroe, is a petite, peppy Texan and captain of the Hellcats. Savannah has led a sheltered life up to this point. She was home-schooled by her strictly religious parents, but recently had a falling out with them over her newfound secular lifestyle, co-ed living arrangements and racy Hellcats outfits. Savannah's faith is still important to her, but she's also a fierce competitor, and loves her role as captain of the squad.

The fact that Savannah was chosen to be captain is a sore spot with squad member Alice Verdura, who was on track to become captain until Savannah transferred in and snapped up the position, displacing Alice as the Hellcats' top flyer. Alice has a complicated past with Lewis Flynn, an architecture student who gave up football at Lancer when he was disillusioned by corruption in the football program. Although he has only been cheerleading for a year, Lewis has found it to be every bit as challenging and competitive as his former sport. He has also moved on from his relationship with Alice, despite her still-strong feelings for him, and he's more than a little interested in the newest star on the squad, Marti. As if her recent injury wasn't enough, Alice sees the budding friendship between Lewis and Marti as a new cause for alarm.

Surrounded by all these new people, Marti feels lucky she can turn to one familiar face: Dan Patch, a townie who has been her best friend since first grade. Dan still lives with his large, working class family and works the docks as a machinist. Even though he's never felt the need to go to college, Dan is a budding documentary filmmaker and is never without his camera.

Overseeing all the practices and personal drama is former Hellcats star and current coach Vanessa Lodge. Vanessa has a history with Red Raymond, the school's football coach, a history which creates conflict between Vanessa and her fiance, the Hellcats team doctor, Derek. Vanessa's job is on the line unless the squad wins the upcoming nationals. Just like Marti, Vanessa's future is riding on the Hellcats ascending to the very top of the fiercely competitive cheerleading world.

~~~

I've seen the first two episodes and actually it quite good, it's kind of like the first Bring it on film but the storyline is developing differently. For the most part the acting is good and the lead actress is great to watch.

Looking forward to this weeks episode as Gale Harold is joining the cast as Marti's Law professor

• Moderators

It's not bad for a guilty pleasure thing.

Obviously it's not aimed at me in the slightest :lol:

Think I'll keep it on as a 'something to watch when I've run out of other stuff' kinda show .. it does what it does well, but I will end up more distracted by others.

• 3 weeks later...

So we are up to episode 5 and I have to say I'm really enjoying this series more that I thought I would.

The main character of Marti is great, we have both sides to her as a cheerleader and as a law student. Everyone around her has interesting character twists and they are all working together well.

A good show to keep a lookout for.

• Moderators

It does confuse me that there's some ex-One Tree Hill people in it. It keeps giving me an alternate-OTH vibe, but of course as it's a CW show it would do that lol

But yes, it is far better than I expected, and strangely addictive.

• 7 months later...