Last Exorcism

danvader123@hotmail.co.uk

MySpace Horror and Bloody Disgusting hosted two fully-packed special screenings of Daniel Stamm's The Last Exorcism. The audience members were the first real public (sans the LAFF premiere) to see the Eli Roth produced horror that will arrive in theaters across the country on August 27 from Lionsgate. While we have interviews forthcoming, inside you'll find a new exclusive image that takes you right inside the final exorcism of Reverend Cotton Marcus (Patrick Fabian).

"After a career spent helping the devout through prayer and trickery, Reverend Cotton Marcus (Patrick Fabian) invites a film crew to document his final fraudulent days as an exorcist. Soon his faith is truly tested when a desperate plea from the father of a possessed girl (Ashley Bell) brings him face to face with the devil himself. "

le1.jpg

le2.jpg

leposter.jpg

l_fd978222bd334df1921666dbaa6e867f.jpg

Hi all, wanted to come to tell you to start the word now and tell everyone to go see THE LAST EXORCISM. It is the scariest movie of the year and one of the best this year out of a sea of mediocrity.

First off, the trailer does not sell the film in total and I will not spoil what is best left to be experienced in the theater. It's much better then the trailer would lead you to believe. It's funny and chilling at the same time. Director Daniel Stamm should be commended for doing a stand up job with the material, he has a great sense of pacing and when to give you just enough. The film is 90 min and it's perfect, no fat on the movie.

The writers Huck Botko and Andrew Gurland should be commended for writing a smart, scary film. It portrays both sides of those who believe & don't in the demonic world. So, whether you believe or not, everyone can enjoy it.

Now, I had issues with it at first being PG-13 but when you see it, it doesn't matter. It's HARD PG-13 like "The Dark Knight." It really didn't feel like it missed anything with that rating.

The actors should all be commended. The key to the film is the lead character Cotton Marcus played by Patrick Fabian who nails his part. He's charming, funny and all around a great complex character. But, make no mistake the girl Ashley Bell is just a notch below. She has these fragile, child like eyes, almost a haunted quality about her that she can then turn to something much more darker & less innocent in a second.

Celeb Jones, Louis Herthum were also really good in their parts. Secondary characters were well cast.

As you can tell I was quite taken aback by how effective the film is. It's smart, scary, funny, unique. You will have a good time with a packed audience but the film leaves you with thoughts to digest long after it's done.

I'm not one to be effected by a horror movie, frankly most are a joke but by the end I had hands over mouth. There were moments where CHILLS ran up and down my spine. If it can effect me like that, I can't imagine what your reaction might be.

The ending is what took the film up a whole other notch. Must see.

Congratulations cast/crew & producers Eli Roth and Marc Abraham. You have discovered a gem of a movie. Folks in a summer of disappointment, get in line now for THE LAST EXORCISM.

9/10

• 3 weeks later...

Interweb users are well aware of the site Chatroulette, which lets surfers randomly run into other folks via webcam. Usually while using the service people are looking for something a little ... shall we say ... exciting so when someone boring shows up, you can just click and you're on to the next person. However, courtesy of Lionsgate you're about to see .... well .... just watch for yourself! watch the video at http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/39206/the...ia-chatroulette

A blog has been published from Daniel Straham the director of last Exorcism check it out beleow:

My love affair with shooting scripted films in the documentary format started in 2004 when cinematographer Zoltan Honti, editor Shilpa Sahi and I graduated from the American Film Institute. I had met them at a party the first day of school, and we had worked on every project together since – including my wedding where Zoltan was my best man and for which Shilpa got ordained to performed the ceremony. We wanted to make a film together again asap, and we wanted it to be our first feature. The problem was that film school had completely bankrupted us which leads to a very common trap that graduates fall into – they are hoping for someone to give them money, spending years waiting for a green light that never comes. We were determined not to fall victim to that pattern. I am lazy so I probably would have ended up in that trap sooner or later, but Zoltan kept calling every single day with the same simple message: “Let’s just do it! Let’s just shoot something!â€. More to get him off my back than anything else, I came up with a story that not only could be shot on video but would actually benefit from it. We would work with available light and handheld. We borrowed a camera and used tapes that had previously been recorded on. We were good to go, no third party’s green light necessary. We had a date with the faux-documentary format.

What was born out of necessity quickly became an all-consuming passion. The style puts all emphasis on the acting and the writing. I was blown away by the level of emotional authenticity that could be reached once you stopped focusing on the technical aspects of the shoot. You don’t need a crane, a helicopter, and 200 pounds of explosive to terrify people. On the contrary. The fact that there was nobody we were answering to meant we didn’t have to compromise. A low budget directly translates to artistic integrity. You can be as provocative and subversive as you want to be. There is no ‘lowest common denominator’. Once we understood that, the possibilities seemed endless.

We worked on what would become a film called A NECESSARY DEATH for three years. When it was finally done we premiered at SXSW, got rave reviews and won AFI Fest… but distributors were deathly afraid to touch the movie due to its dark subject matter – a man committing suicide on camera. So much for being subversively provocative and defying lowest common denominators ...

Jacob Forman, a writer from my year at AFI, heard that Eric Newman and Marc Abraham (CHILDREN OF MEN, DAWN OF THE DEAD) at Strike Entertainment were looking for a director for a faux documentary. He gave them a copy of our film. It turned out that for them – and especially Eli Roth who was attached to produce – it couldn’t be dark enough, and they loved it. They let me bring Zoltan and Shilpa on board and we set out to make THE LAST EXORCISM."

Eli Roth is known for the guy who put the gore back in horror. Before Cabin Fever hit theaters in the early 2000s, the theatrical landscape from our beloved genre was looking a little bleak. Once Roth unleashed the film, his clever and creepy gorefest set in the woods, fans knew that the times, they were a-changing.

Fast forward eight years. Roth is no longer the “independent-filmmaker-who-could†but rather the “independent-filmmaker-that-did†after successfully following up Cabin Fever with theatrical releases of both Hostel and Hostel 2 and garnering praise for his performance in Quentin Tarantino’s Inglorious Basterds last year. All of this good fortune through the years of his career has given Roth the opportunity to now champion other directors, like Daniel Stamm, who helmed the upcoming thriller The Last Exorcism.

While Roth, who served as a producer on the film, was making the press rounds for the upcoming tale of a preacher who faces true evil during his last performed exorcism, Dread Central had the opportunity to sit down and chat about him about his involvement behind-the-scenes on The Last Exorcism and how the project took him back to his independent roots.

“The whole concept started with producer Eric Newman (Dawn of the Dead remake) who wanted to do a documentary-style movie of an exorcism that goes horribly wrong,†explained Roth. “He hired Huck Botko and Andrew Gurland initially to write the script and when he met with Studio Canal, they told Eric that they would finance this movie if my name was attached to it. I think it’s really nice that kind of recognition happens because the fans have been so gracious and supportive towards my work and now foreign distributors know they can sell a movie if my name is on it.â€

“We got a lot of freedom to do what we wanted to with Last Exorcism once the money was raised. We took that trust Studio Canal put into us as producers and put that trust right into Daniel Stamm to direct the film. We told Daniel, ‘Cast the best actors. Don’t worry about names and just make sure these are the right people for the story’ which is very much the opposite of how the system usually works. Most of the time, no one will finance you if your film doesn’t have a name actor but we were lucky. I think if we would have used a big name it would have distracted from the spirit of the project,†Roth added.

Roth, who built his career as the guy who pushed the boundaries of gore (I still exercise extreme caution any time I shave my legs thanks to him), found himself in new territory with The Last Exorcism, a movie that features a very limited amount of blood hardly a body count. The producer said that most of what effectively makes the project terrifying is the tension built around this young girl and what that means for those who get involved to try and help her condition.

“I think our ultimate goal was that we just wanted to make a truly scary movie and the story really didn’t call for a lot of gore or violence,†Roth explained. “The premise of a girl who may or may not be possessed was scary enough, especially when you factor in threats from her family. So, when Lionsgate came in and bought the film, they told us that if the MPAA asked us to cut the most important scenes in order to get a PG-13 rating, then we’d just work with The Last Exorcism having an R rating. That was incredible because they believed so much in the film, they didn’t want a castrated version of it released in theaters.â€

“I feel very lucky that we’re getting a theatrical release for The Last Exorcism. The reality of the industry today is that it costs $20 million just to do a wide theatrical release so studios have to make sure that the interest is there to make it profitable. The bottom line is- the film has to be at a certain level of quality for studios to want to release it wide and thankfully, Lionsgate saw that quality in Last Exorcism,†Roth added.

While certainly the success of last year’s Paranormal Activity, which was also a documentary-style horror film, helped reinvigorate a new era in genre storytelling, Roth said that it didn’t have much bearing on whether or not The Last Exorcism would get made.

Roth said, “We had this movie in development for four years so we had already shot Last Exorcism by the time Paranormal Activity hit theaters last fall. So while Paranormal isn’t necessarily the reason behind why we were able to get this movie made, the hunger it created in the marketplace is really nice to come into.â€

Even though Roth has been the central champion in the media for The Last Exorcism for some time now, he said the spirit of the film truly came from the up-and-coming director Stamm.

“I worked with Daniel from the minute he was hired up until he finished casting the film,†explained Roth. “What I really liked is that we both had similar energies so we could bounce ideas off each other and that I could use some of my past experience with getting an indie horror film made and give Daniel some wisdom out of that.â€

“Once he started shooting though, I was doing a lot of the press for Inglorious Basterds so I couldn’t really be there on set with him. By the time I was done with Cannes, he was about two-thirds of the way done shooting and they had such a vibe going on set already since everyone was living together in the house they filmed in, I really didn’t want to interrupt that at all or take anything away from what Daniel was doing. So, I just stayed away,†Roth added.

Roth let Stamm take the vision he had for the project to create the first edit of the film and then the duo worked together diligently in post-production to put the finishing touches on the project. Roth said, “I let Daniel cut the film himself until he really found the movie in all of the footage and once he got to that point, my involvement was to sit with him and just be a resource to him to help him get the movie in the best shape it could be.â€

“Daniel is such a smart and strong filmmaker on his own that I just think me being there to help guide him during post-production and show him how to get through the obstacles that come along with independent filmmaking was the best thing I could do. I wanted to stay away when it was necessary and just be there for him when he needed me to be there,†Roth added.www.dreadcentral.com

He's not a household name (yet), but he's got a commanding voice, a grin that instantly wins your trust, and he's one of the best parts of The Last Exorcism, which opens in theaters this Friday. Patrick Fabian began his acting career in '92 and since then he's been bouncing all around television taking roles in shows like The Mentalist, Bones and, most recently, Big Love. Exorcism puts him front and center on the big screen as leading man Marcus Cotton, a flawed preacher who sets out to pull back the curtain on exorcisms and lands in hot water with a truly possessed young woman, played by Ashley Bell (interview). Shock caught up to Fabian, who was all smiles and eager to talk about his time on the film, in Los Angeles this week.

Shock Till You Drop: I hear the audition for this was a bit beyond the norm.

Patrick Fabian: It was very unusual in that I was asked to come in and improvise with Ashley [bell] who was playing Nell. Stamm just wanted me to try different tactics to get her to go see a doctor. Daniel in his mercurial, German way was reticent to give me much more than that. I tried all of these different things. Then he asked me to come back with a ten-minute sermon. It's a preacher role, you got to learn how to preach. So I went in, delivered my sermon and he dialed it up and down accordingly and I got the role. Then I got the script and we talked about it then. He was instrumental in finding what our point of view was for Cotton. If we don't like him, I don't have a movie. In the same way of saying, if the possessed girl isn't good, we're in a house of cards. If you don't like Cotton, it's like…I hope you die, spam!

Shock: Well, this guy knows his flaws, so you earn the audiences' respect.

Fabian: He knows his foibles. Exactly. You can go along with that.

Shock: What was the sermon you wrote about? The one for the audition…

Fabian: You get an assignment to write a sermon and you get locked into these rules your brain comes up with. I got the bible out and I had three days to get this done. But there were no rules. I made up quotes out of the bible and made up books from the bible. The whole idea of those preachers is to whip people up into a frenzy. The banana bread gag that we do in the film is a great example. So I just started taking popular songs and novels - I've been working as an actor for 20 years, so I just took the things in my brain and wove them together and stole from the best. Ashley and I went to a Pentecostal church 20 miles from here and it's fire and brimstone, bleeding eyes of Jesus. You feel that. I don't know if it's God, but there is a belief amongst those people.

Shock: And that's just in Los Angeles. Did you get a chance to check out the churches in the south?

Fabian: I did. On my own, I did. I've never been to New Orleans and I was so glad. It's just multi-cultural. It's hot, oppressive, sweaty, sexy and dangerous. All of those things come into play. I went into a couple of churches and that was the real deal. I went to Baptist churches and I felt like I was saved. [laughs] It was uplifting. I was raised Roman Catholic, so not so much raising the hands to Jesus. When we shot, we shot for three days in this Baptist church. And the background people, they were all good church-going folk, and I told them I was an actor, I'm not a preacher, but if I'm off base, then help me out. The first time I said, "Can I get a halleluiah?" it was this wall of sound, "Halleluiah!" That got me in the spirit. I preached myself hoarse. Those ladies, God bless them. Again, those scenes are real.

Shock: During our chat with Ashley, some unanticipated stuff came about during the scare scenes…

Fabian: Oh yeah, working with Ashley, you can't say enough. She embodies that so well. There's no CG with the work she's doing physically. My unease and the creeped-out factor is genuine. Especially in the exorcism scenes, like the one in the barn. It's late at night, there's rusty implements of destruction on the wall. We're just this team against her, but Ashely just pulled out stuff that would scare us. Daniel would go over to her between takes and whisper in her ear. Then I would wait for my cookie or something from him [laughs], some direction, and he'd just walk by me and we'd do another take. But it was great, because it put me off balance and I had to be aware of what Ashley gave me.

Our conversation leans into spoiler territory as we talk about the end of the film, however, Fabian drums up a bit of nerd chatter as we talk about our favorite horror films.

Fabian: Have you ever seen The Dark Secret of Harvest Home?

Shock: I haven't...

Fabian: That kept me up at night. Burnt Offerings is terrific…

Shock: I do like that one...

Fabian: Oliver Reed and Karen Black. What a messy set that must have been!

www.shocktillyoudrop.com

Just watch this on the bank holiday and I recommend you go and see this movie it is interesting and a good popcorn flick you would be disapointed. It not like any other exorcist film out and I agree they maybe some things to explain in the film that some people do not get or confused but its easy to explain. Just go and watch it and spread the news around to your mates and friends. I give it an 7.5/10