How would you record audio in a theatre?

graeme2020uk

Now i know its illegal and what not.........not that i would ever dabble in such things as that. But over the years ive aqquired many live cast recordings from many theatre shows.Particurally the Rocky Horror Show.And lately upon speaking to people about High School Musical,which ive managed to get tickets to see in August,its dawned on me how rare these things are.These fans are crazy,theyll do anything for a piece of it.

Now i cant ask the person i know who works at the theatre to ask management.......shell get fired or a very stern finger directed at her...who knows she might like that. But what would one do to record such audio? I know cassette recorders are a bit out of date. What kind of affordable devices can be used to pick up the songs audio nice and clearly.I think theres 12 songs or so. Will be able to have the kind of length or memory to hold that much information?

Not that I have anything like this myself or anything...

A lot of people either use a Olympus WS digital voice recorder that has a direct usb connection on the recorder for fast pc transfer.The quality on those is really good.Good models to look at WS-100 and WS-320.They record pretty well without an external mic,although I do know people with the WS-100 that use one.I don't see much need really.

Another way is Mini disc recorder with a good quality external mic.You can pic them up on ebay for about a tenner.(the mic's that is)

Hope this helps.

Yeah but buying the mic is one thing.....id still need a minidisc player/recorder to attatch it to wouldnt i lol. How would i connect a minidisc up to the pc though?

Those Olympus recorders, do you know if they can pick up music well?

Not that I have anything like this myself or anything...

A lot of people either use a Olympus WS digital voice recorder that has a direct usb connection on the recorder for fast pc transfer.The quality on those is really good.Good models to look at WS-100 and WS-320.They record pretty well without an external mic,although I do know people with the WS-100 that use one.I don't see much need really.

With all due respect, that's not a device for recording music. Even in "high quality" mode, the WS-100 is storing data at the rate of 32kbps, at a 44kHz sample rate. Whilst the sample rate is the same as a CD, the bit rate is woeful; that's the lowest bitrate possible really for an mp3 spec, a quarter of the bitrate used in most bog-standard mp3s, and probably a sixth to a tenth of the bitrate of what would be considered "high quality" mp3s. It's less than one fortieth of the bitrate of a CD. It's designed as a a voice recorder, primarily for dictation or note-taking, although I suspect you'll get adequate results recording speech from a distance such as a lecture or a play, so long as there isn't too much ambient noise. But try to record a musical performance with so many different frequencies going on at once then you'll just overload the thing; it can't store enough information to accurately represent what's going on. If you're lucky, and used to listening to low quality mp3s through piddly little earbuds (or gawd help us, through your mobile phone's speaker), it might sound passable, but listen to it through a decent set of speakers or decent headphones and it will sound awful.

And yes, I wouldn't bother using an external mic on this if I were recording music on it; it would be like putting lipstick on a pig.

Another way is Mini disc recorder with a good quality external mic.You can pic them up on ebay for about a tenner.(the mic's that is)

Hope this helps.

Not a great fan of minidiscs, but in stereo SP mode they record with a bitrate of 292 kbps, about 9 times better than the Olympus. Discs hold 80 minutes of recording, and I've heard decent-sounding recordings made with external mics that cost £30 new. Transfer to PC is via USB cable IIRC.

For serious recording, I'd suggest a solid state recorder that records in full CD format (WAV) - something like an Edirol R09. A 2Gb memory card gives you somewhere north of 3 hours recording time. Even a £30 mic will get you very good recordings with this, although if you wanted something really good, a pair of Core Sound Binaural mics would usually give fabulous results. Trouble with that is that you're now into serious money.

Oh, and a word of warning. Don't be tempted by "fans are crazy,theyll do anything for a piece of it". Making a sly recording of this sort of thing and quietly passing copies around to friends is one thing; try to start selling it and you're likely to end up in big trouble.

• Showmasters Admin

I'm afraid as a company, Showmasters can not condone the illegal recording of copy righted material. Even allowing discussion of how to do it I beleive is beyond the bounds of this forum, so I am closing this thread.