What do you prefer....

ptenbob

Out and out action, ala most comics from pre1980's, the cheesy cornball stuff,

or

Post modernistic tales, woven with a strong element of Irony, sometimes shame at what used to be (Read some of the Green Arrow's monologues in Quiver)

Discuss...

Definiely the latter. Quiver was an excellent book, Smith's treatment of Ollie was what got me into reading Green Arrow, a title I'd not bothered with much previously, and the run since then has been a really good read. The brutality of the end section of (I think) two issues ago was staggering and a real nailbiter. Mind you, I guess that counts as action. B)

For a long time, it seemd to me that some of the titles were merely paying lip service to the more complex undertones of the characters, Batman being a good case in point. Alan Moore's Killing Joke and Miller's Dark Knight Returns pulled him back into the dark places and proved that intelligent writing could be coupled with stunning visuals and not lose it's impact. IMO a lot of the more interesting stuff that Marvel have put out in recent times, primarily I'm thinking of New X-Men and the Ultimates lines is forging a pretty good path for them. Conversely I loathed the Marvel Max version of Nick Fury, where he was longing for the 'Good Ol Days, and using every swear word known to man in the process.

Aggghh too many thoughts crowding my mind. One of my current champion causes is to get as many people to read Warren Ellis' Transmetropolitan as I can . ;)