Great American Bash - results, discussion etc

DavidB

• Moderators

MVP beat Matt Hardy (US Title)

Hornswoggle won a Cruiserweight Title Open

Carlito beat Sandman (Singapore Cane on a Pole)

Candice Michelle beat Melina (Womens Title)

Umaga beat Jeff Hardy (IC Title)

John Morrison beat CM Punk (ECW Title)

Randy Orton beat Dusty Rhodes (Texas Bullrope)

The Great Khali beat Kane and Batista (World Heavyweight Title)

John Cena beat Bobby Lashley (WWE Title)

I thought it was quite an enjoyable show, better than it looked on paper.

Both Hardys put in a good effort.

Even Khali did a few decent spots in his match.

Candice is doing great, and improving every time.

Hornswoggle as Cruiserweight champion? Interesting ..

This PPV had so much potential to continue the rebuilding og the WWE post Benoit tragedy and McMahon Death Storyline. But, in my opinion, they dropped the ball.

MVP should have dropped the US title to continue MH's rise. A good series of matches would have risen both of their proverbial stocks.

Hornswoogle as Cruiserwieght Champ? A joke in my opininon. The Rey Rey vs Chavo feud is set in stone, so Chavo retaining wth Rey Rey appearing would have been much better. The outcome made all combatants look stupid.

Meline vs Candice: A good match with Candice developing well. Melina's on screen persona justs grates with me. She is a tragic heel...

Umaga vs Jeff Hardy: wrong opponent for Umaga with the task being to build Umaga's stock. A bigger opponent would have done this.

Lashley vs Cena: Cena winning has brought Lahley's rise to a screaching halt. They will have to do some seriosu repair work to make Lashley a main eventer sooner rather than later.

Dream vs Orton: A story untold, and a wise decision to make it pinfall anf submission only. Could you see Dream surviving a traditional TBR match> Or even Orton dragging him to four corners?

Khali vs Batista vs Kane: Catch 22 here as they are building Khali up to permanent main event status. Batista needs to win the belt in time for Edge to chase him. I can see Kane vs Khali in a gimmick match later this year.

Sandman vs Carlito: Kind of stops Sandman's mini push by Vince, who allegedly likes him. Carlito is going nowhere at the moment.

CM Punk losing to Nitro/Morrison was a joke. This feud needs regular trading of the belt ina series of matches on PPV and on ECW TV. For Punk it will be to see how he performs as a Champion, and for Nitro.Morrison it will be to establish him in thelnad of Extreme.

Overall make for me: 4/10.

Match of te night: MVP vs Matt Hardy closely followed by Candice vs Meline (Shocker!)

• Moderators

I'll have to disagree with half of what you said, but hey that's what forums are for ;)

MVP was built up for ages, improving every time he faced Benoit, and eventually overcoming the odds and having Benoit's number and winning the belt. I'd like Matt to do that to MVP - learning from the losses, and coming back stronger to eventually win the title, maybe even on his next shot. But they've spent a lot of time on MVP so he doesn't need to drop it too easily. Realistically even though Hardy is really over, he's not had strong singles success in a long time, so he's still developing - hence why I think people saying he should've won the Heavyweight title were crazy.

They're treading carefully with Umaga right now, as at one point he was getting cheers a few weeks back etc, and they need him as a heel so putting him against someone like Jeff was a good idea. A strong face who can sell well. At short notice, it was a fair choice. And the ending made Umaga look even more focused and like a monster - he needs more of that quickness and intensity.

Lashley isn't ready to be champ so I have no issues with that - I think they put him against Cena too soon but we'll see what happens with him now.

As much as I love CM Punk, he doesn't really need the belt right now. To take the belt off Morrison just a few days after his strong name/gimmick change would've been really bad timing, and while I expect Punk to beat him for the belt EVENTUALLY, I think keeping it on Morrison was a good idea. He wouldn't really be anything without the title, and Punk's always going to have the support behind him etc.

gotta agree with David more here... my thoughts for what they are worth..

MVP vs HARDY i thought was a strong opener, i would have liked Matt to win or at least a bit of a screwy finsih, like MVP grabs the tights or something, both guys are in the similar position of a push so both need the win equally i think. there was no real reason to take the belt from MVP tho and i think they will have more matches to continue MVP looking good and build Matt harder

The CRUISERWEIGHTS was a good match for the time they had and the fact so many moves have been banned. Hornswaggle winnig made me chuckle which i guess is the reason for it BUT is makes a joke of the belt that is already somewhat of a joke... Plus it was Jamie Noble that took the fall and that annoys me coz he should be winning regularly, he is too good. Rey doesnt need the title so i dont think there is any point in Chavo having it for their fued

CARLITO vs SANDMAN was ok, nothing to write home about. Its nice to think Sandman can get a PPv appearance at all really.

CANDACE vs MELINA i thought was good, Melina looked very sloppy tho which made Candace look even better than she has become. I was impressed here

UMAGA vs JEFF was great. i didnt think Jeff could win it but then i started questioning myself towards the end. He doesnt need the win coz he is very very over anyway and Umaga winning definately keeps the fans booing him. It was the better match these too have had so far

MORRISON vs PUNK i wasnt as excited about.. im a big Punk fan and cant wait for him to break out but i dont think he needed to win here, especially with John's change so soon before hand. Overall the match seemed to drag a bit and the win came from out of nowhere, kinda killed the crowd

DUSTY vs ORTON

i enjoyed the start, quite funny in places but as soon as Orton took advantage the match pretty much ended, i never expected Dusty to win but thought the match may have gone further

KHALI vs BATISTA vs KANE

i didnt expect Kane to win, i didnt want Dave to win.. I think the right decision was made but i wonder how and when Khali will drop the belt, i assume it will be Dave who wins it. the match wasnt too bad considering, had some good spots and Dalip didnt look completely useless. Typical big man match really, the champs round house was surprizing...

CENA vs LASHLEY was fine, im a Cena fan and proud to say so, i like Lashley too. We got the right decsion here as i dont think its Bobbys time yet but the finish kept him strong, he kicked out of the FU and seemed unfazed by the 5 knuckle shuffle, he didnt lose anything by failing to kick out of a top rope FU which looked impressive. I just wanna see Cena get to a year as champ...

overall i thought it was better than expected and the best GAB for a few years. 7 maybe...

The whole advertising for Lashley has been that he is unstoppable..kind of blows that out of the water. I feel Cena is way over due to lose the belt, and I feel that pitting two faces against each other for the title is a bad move. It kills alot fo the match atmosphere.

Umaga is well on the way to being a cult face hero. They should never have taken his manager away as that takes the heat away as well. If anything, Jeff helped him move closer to beign a face as it was aclean victory. The only heel moves were the ref's poor attempts to stop him using the ropes to get height to jump on Jeff. Something that is not illegal in the squared circle.

Matt as Heavyweight is a joke that only a pre pubescent person could come up with. Whoever put that down must think that wrestling is REAL! LOL! I still feel that a title change woudl have done both of them some good, but only if it is followed by a sterling programme of matches similar to th 7 match series often used it he old WCW. Matt is an established name, and MVP's character receiving a reality check could help grown the character a little more.

I still feel that Nitro/Morrison should not be in ECW. He does not fit with the whole ethos of the brand. If they are going to do this, then they might as well merge ECW with Raw and Smackdown. If anything, they should drop the ECW title and introduce a pure wrestling title. Then, matches between these two combatants would be much better to watch.

Hey, at least I don't throw my dummy out of the pram when you disagree with me.