Temporary WWE direction Post Benoit

Arkham

As will be evident by the ECW and Smackdown shows (and the TNA Impact tapings to add to that), all matches appear to be of a non dramatic storyline classic wrestling content genre. I am looking forward to some of the matches as they seem to be of reasonable to high quality. Hopefully they will not resort to the levels they have in the past, and ,maybe the McMahon storyline will be quietly dropped for good and not for later in the year. They have even removed the I DID IT t-shirt from their shopzone website.

WHat do people think? Back to the basics of wrestling with a storyline less dramatic? Or drama drama drama with little wrestling content?

i reckon they have already started moving ecw along now...

my thoughts the day after vengence were that nitro would only be a transitional champion, he filled in for benoit and would drop the title to him the moment benoit was available to work again. beniot would then go into a long programme with cm punk who would eventually win the title after a few months or so.

obviously since then a lot has happend but i believe now they will pull the trigger on a Punk title run early and have him beat Nitro at the next event, already put into motion with punk being number one contender again.

overall i think even casual fans are smartening up, especially when they saw Vince "die" one week and he's alive a couple of weeks later so it makes sense to go back to more wrestling based product and dumb down the story lines a bit. no need to drop them altogether, but a little less emphasis is likely i think.

• Moderators

I think they'll still have storylines mixed into the 'competition' of wrestling, but nothing too far-fetched for a while anyway.

Stuff like the Long/Krystal 'engagement' will be ok, but no crazy death angles or whatever else until they feel it appropriate.

I think they've already gone back to a mainly wrestling-based product anyway, even pre-Benoit, so it shouldn't be too much of a shift. It's only the one main story that has to be dropped, and emphasis placed on other stuff.

If you check the match lreports for the tapings this week, you will see a distinct change in direction.

Until tomorrow as I am off to apply for a job.

Arkham

P.S. I need to speak to someone who has access to a bibber ROH and TNA PPV library that can be pruvately traded. Please e-mail on w_simonjones@msn.com. Cheers folks.

The tapings this week are slightly different than the regualar direction they will be goin as they are just entertaining the fans under the circumstances, hence raw, smackdown and ecw stars on each brand.

we'll all get a better idea on what they are planning after next weeks tapings i would guess.

The tapings this week are slightly different than the regualar direction they will be goin as they are just entertaining the fans under the circumstances, hence raw, smackdown and ecw stars on each brand.

we'll all get a better idea on what they are planning after next weeks tapings i would guess.

I realise that, but I am wondering if they will keep some element of this temporary direction that I mentioned in the string title for the future. It would be a shame to go back to the same old same old. The talent they have on the roster can be utilised in some fantatsic aciton filled angles/storylines that emphasise on the action more than the story.

completely agree, i hope for the same.

cant wait to see ECW this week... (never thought id say that), the Cena vs Nitro match has had a lot of praise, say what you will about John Cena but he is pulling in a lot of praise as of late, he busts his behind for that company so fair play to him. Im a long time Cena fan and continue to sing his praises.

add to that we have Burke vs Punk in a 2 out 3 falls match... game on all round i reckon

Edited by snot182

The Great American Bash is the next PPV before one of the "BIG 4" PPV's Sumemrslam

To avoid all the attention of what has happened they will come up with something BIG. I don't think the Jackass V WWE hardcore match is the answer but it will give people soemthing else to talk about.

There is alot of talk about Nitro being ECW champion and does he deserve it? Should be a chance to get some Extreme Action at Summerslam

There is alot of talk about Nitro being ECW champion and does he deserve it? Should be a chance to get some Extreme Action at Summerslam

As will probably be evident, Nitro was and will continue to be, an interim champion. The original plan was rumoured to be Benoit lifting the belt at Vengeance with CM Punk spending the coming months chasing the title. It was due to be billed as a purist contest built on technical and OMG spots. It is a shame that it will not happen now. However, with the right angle, Nitro vs Punk should be acceptable.

Did anyone notice that Nitro's new finish is a variation of The Fallen Angel's Last Rites?