Hello from the UKCM!

Hi!

My name's Steve, and I'm a geek.

So great is my geekness, that I was broken-hearted at the prospect of no Collectables in Glasgow this year.

But there was a ray of light in my dark hours...

A shining beacon of hope, all alone in the night...

Umm.

I took that too far, didn't I?

So aye, I was a bit annoyed that Collectables got cancelled, and well chuffed to find out that Collectormania was to take place next year.

Not only will it give me a chance to pick up the year's quota of neat swag, but it's another excuse to dust off the Colonial Marine gear, let the Alien out of it's cage, and scare the crap out of another bunch of kids.

Nice to see there's an actual forum for info and discussion, too. I'm too used to events like this just having a mince-looking "Geocities"-esque website with bad animations, embedded audio and incorrect info.

So, back to the main point of my post other than to say "Hi".

I'm a member of a costuming group known as the UKCM - United Kingdom Colonial Marines.

We're relatively new to the scene... We were part of the Sci Fi Weekend at the National Space Centre last June...

Scapey_Leicester_Pics_122-MarineSquad.jpg

...Providing an honour guard for Terry "Armourer" English and Al "Apone" Matthews en route to their Guest Talks:

IMG_1302-HonourGuard.jpg

...and assisting with the "Alien War" style Alien Encounter that ran over the course of the weekend.

NSC_3_aliens.jpg

Members have put in appearances at Collectables Birmingham in November, the FACTS convention in Belgium in October, as well as an outdoor screening of Aliens at Somerset House in London in August and most likely a few other events I'm forgetting right now..

somersethouse_buckpalace.jpg

As the group is spread quite widely across the UK, the Scottish contingent ( Crew of the Hadrian's Wall, + captive Xenomorph ;) ) have been known to team up with the Glasgow-based Legion of Superheroes Scotland... Who some of you probably know from previous Collectables events.

In this capacity, we helped raise cash for Children In Need by freezing our butts off outside Debenham's in Glasgow:

childreninneed_01.jpg

...and ended up being given a place at the top table on the evening of the

Coming finally to the point... :)

There are going to be a few of us showing up in costume anyway - But it would be great if we could arrange some sort of "Official status" for UKCM members attending the event.

We don't mind changing in the public loos, but if there's any chance of the organisers getting in touch and us coming to an agreement whereby we properly "troop" the event ( To blatantly thieve terminology from other costuming groups :smile: ).

If any such head-honcho-types are reading this, and like the idea, please give me a shout, and I'll get as many of the grunts on the ready-line as possible.

Cheers!

Seeya on the boards...

Steve ( But call me "Scapey". )

Edited by Reverend Scapegoat

• Showmasters Admin

hi Steve

i think it would be a great additon to the show

so yes we would like to do something with you guys

as it is so close to the holidays we will have a chat after

thanks for geting touch and we look forward to working together next year

yours

jason