Just One Compliment

Disclaimer: This story is based on characters and situations owned by JK Rowling and publishers including but not limited to Bloomsbury. No copyright infringement is intended or to be infered.

--------------------

The Great Hall was beautifully decorated with magical snowflakes falling from the ceiling, landing on the wooden floor of the Hall without leaving a trace. Pine trees from Norway had been shipped in especially for the event, and some were so tall their tips were lost in the cloud up in the ceiling.

It was a beautiful sight. But all this was insignificant compared to Hermione. She sat on one of the tables and she wore a flowing white gown that trailed to the ground. It was beautiful, not showy or gaudy, just simple and elegant. Her hair had been piled on to of her head, with a few strands left hanging down, which had been curled into ringlets. Her make-up was tasteful and not over the top. It had taken nearly three hours to do her hair, make-up and dress, and she looked beautiful. So she sat there wondering, why was she alone?

When she had come down the stairs to the Common Room, Harry and Ron were waiting for her. But she was devastated when neither of them said anything about how she looked. She knew they saw her as a sister type but a little, ‘you look nice’, wouldn’t have gone amiss. They walked her to the Great Hall, neither paying attention to her, but instead, more interested in the upcoming Quidditch match than her. When they got inside the dance, the commented on the decoration of the Great Hall. ‘Great, comment on something that would have taken five minutes to do, and not on the thing that took three hours’, Hermione complained to herself. But the worst thing was, they left her. So here she sat, on a bench, in the most amazing dress she could find, without a date or even a compliment from her friends.

“They’re idiots if they can’t see how beautiful you look tonight,†he said. Hermione knew the voice, it was Draco Malfoy.

“What?†she said turning round to face him. He was dressed in a simple black suit with a black shirt and white tie.

“You look stunning,†he said leaning over to whisper it to her.

“Is this some kind of sick joke?†she demanded.

“No. I see a beautiful woman, sitting alone, and I go over to ask her to dance,†he said offering her his hand. Hermione stared at it for a moment.

“I’m not going to bite, I promise,’ Draco reassured her. Cautiously she took his hand and he led her to the dance floor.

“Everyone’s looking at us,†Hermione said suddenly self-conscious.

“Trust me, they’re looking at you,†Draco whispered.

At least Hermione got just one compliment.