First Timer at LFCC

It's my first time at LFCC this year, am incredibly excited!

I'm travelling down from the North East - getting into London at 8.15am (very early train!) and heading straight to the venue (have got early bird tickets for the weekend!).

Currently only got a photoshoot with Antony Head booked for Sunday (number 26!), but my coach out of London is at 4pm so a little worried about timings for that!!

Staying at a local Hostel with a friend - we're going to be cos-playing Amy Pond and Eleven! :thumbup:

Hoping for some more Doctor Who guests too!!! :D

Any advice for a newbie? Still trying to figure out everything from the posts on here! :)

First of all, welcome to the forums.

You might find it useful to look at the FAQs for this section. They should answer quite a lot of questions that you have.

The photoshoots are normally finished reasonably early so having to catch a coach at 4 o'clock shouldn't be a problem. Only thing is that, depending on what time the photoshoot with Anthony is, you may have left before your photo comes back from the printers. If that happens, you can fill in a slip at the photo collection point and get it sent out to you. It normally costs £2 to do that.

Apart from that, the best advice I can give you is this.

1) work out how much you are planning to spend, double it and that's how much money you should bring with you. You're bound to see loads of extra things there on the day that you want to buy.

2) wear comfy shoes. You'll be spending a lot of time on your feet and you want to be able to still stand at the end of the day.

3) don't be afraid to talk to people in queues. Generally everyone who goes to these events is friendly and, you never know, you may make some new friends

4) if you're not sure about anything on the day, ask a crew member. They're there to help and are a good bunch.

5) take some food in with you. Either that or nip out to the Tescos just across the road. There are places inside the venue that sell food but they're stupidly expensive and, in my experience, not that good.

Think that's it for now. I'm sure others will come on here and offer more advice but that should give you a bit of a start.

3) don't be afraid to talk to people in queues. Generally everyone who goes to these events is friendly and, you never know, you may make some new friends

All I can say on these points is that I can definitely relate to this one. From getting to know a few people on the forums, I have now made some of the best friends I know that I regularly attend these events with. Although the number of conventions as a whole is lower in these first few months of the year compared to May to July time, I have met with some friends from these events more in 2012 than I have my local friends.

Just try to make sure you're in a positive mind frame and you will thoroughly enjoy it. Most of the people here are for similar reasons as you and if you're in a queue for a particular guest, chances are you're both a fan so straightaway have something to talk about.

Cosplaying is an added bonus, there will be others doing the same from a variety of shows and very very likely to be some from Doctor Who. Most of them in my experience are very friendly and you may find Rorys or Rivers to have your photo taken with.

So yeah, just make sure you have fun :D

• 3 weeks later...

I definitely agree with wearing comfy shoes. Last year, though I was wearing trainers, at the end of the weekend my feet were sore, blistered, and swollen, so make sure they're light too so your feet can breathe. :smile:

• 1 month later...

This is my first time at this event too, Daisy - although I have been to several of the Torchwood 'Hub' conventions run by Showmasters so I have some idea of what to expect. Comfy shoes, as Tina197 says, are a must - I will probably wear my crocs since they are the most comfortable piece of footwear that I own!! (Hopefully the photographer won't include them, lol). Hope to meet lots of fellow Simm fans!! (Still can't quite believe that he's going - never thought I would see the day, bless him).