WOT NO COMICS!!!

Basil

Hi all,

I've just got back from the first London Film and Comic event and although I enjoyed the guests and the talks, I felt completely let down from the comic side of the event.

Don't get me wrong, I love the SM events as they are always brilliantly run and I completely understand that they were unable to get any comic guests.

But why were there next to no comic dealers at this comic event?

I was hoping to have a good look round and maybe even beat my record of 110 comics bought at one event (I even drove my car in specially so I could carry them home).

Most of the stalls were memorabilia which is fine in itself but you expect a "London Film and Comic Con" to have lots of film and comic items.

I think the name of the event should be changed if this is the level of representation comics have. Maybe the "London Film and TV Con" would be better.

Basil

thats not really up to showmasters though is it? its up to people who run comic shops to turn up and book stalls. there were some comic stalls there, but id agree not many.

but you cant blame the organisers for who decides to book stall space. maybe for the november show more comic guests will be announced and comic sellers will decide that it is a better idea to turn up.

I agree there was a severe lack of comic anything. Even comic art would have been appreciated. I have a friend who produced for the US Halloween convention an exclusive Halloween comic book called One Good Scare. He lives in Manchester and I'm sure I could have got him to attend if Showmasters had wanted. It would have been great for them too to have a show exclusive. If Showmasters are interested they have my details.

I was also personally disappointed in the lack of Star Wars collectables on offer as I was hoping to pick up the latest wave of figures, but that indeed is at the dealers own descretion and not at the organisers.

Obi-Wan :D

"thats not really up to showmasters though is it?"

Of course its down to the organisers.

Has SM marketed the comic dealers or have they just relied on the normal "Tenth Planet" type stores that they usually get at a collectomania.

There's nothing wrong with this of course if what you want is a film and TV memrobillia event.

I just thought that this was going to be something more.

Despite my winging I love SM and will of course attend the next London Event (Wanna meet Vasquez). But please, please make this a comic event the likes that hasn't been seen in the UK before and leave "Tenth planet" at Collectomania.

Basil